Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner tree for New York?

4 posters

Go down

Beginner tree for New York? Empty Beginner tree for New York?

Post  Greg Matthews Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:49 pm

Hi, I deal mostly with tropicals since I live in Florida but I have a friend in New York that is interested in getting into the hobby. What would be an easier to keep species that can be kept outside most of the year?
Greg Matthews
Greg Matthews

Back to top Go down

Beginner tree for New York? Empty Re: Beginner tree for New York?

Post  EdMerc Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:56 pm

Howdy Greg,

I don't know about easy, but if I lived further north my garden would be replete with Japanese maples. Smile

BTW, I saw your avatar tree at Epcot. Very beautiful. Gumbo Limbo is it?

Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Beginner tree for New York? Empty Beginner Tree for New York

Post  bonsaisr Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:20 pm

Where in New York? New York City or New York State? The climate in New York State ranges from Zone 7 to Zone 3. If he wants a suggestion for an outdoor tree, we need to know where he is going to keep it over the winter. Probably the number one outdoor species for New York State is American larch, although it might suffer from the summer heat on Long Island or Staten Island. He might be better off starting with a Ficus, which he would keep indoors in the winter & outdoors in the summer. Tell him to join the nearest bonsai club, which could advise him on the best choices for his area.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Matthews Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:21 pm

EdMerc wrote:Howdy Greg,
I don't know about easy, but if I lived further north my garden would be replete with Japanese maples. Smile
BTW, I saw your avatar tree at Epcot. Very beautiful. Gumbo Limbo is it?
Ed
I'd love to have some Japanese maples as well. It's his first tree so I'd like it to be easy in order to keep him in the hobby.
It is a Gumbo Limbo, I just picked it up Monday, it was fun to have it on display at Epcot. I'm working on my entry for next year this weekend. Here's more pictures of the trees there Epcot 2009

bonsaisr wrote:Where in New York? New York City or New York State? The climate in New York State ranges from Zone 7 to Zone 3. If he wants a suggestion for an outdoor tree, we need to know where he is going to keep it over the winter. Probably the number one outdoor species for New York State is American larch, although it might suffer from the summer heat on Long Island or Staten Island. He might be better off starting with a Ficus, which he would keep indoors in the winter & outdoors in the summer. Tell him to join the nearest bonsai club, which could advise him on the best choices for his area.
Iris

He's in NYC, he can bring the tree in for the winter. I was even thinking a jade which does well indoors but I think that there are nicer species that could do well.
Greg Matthews
Greg Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:59 am

Greg,

Being from West Palm myself I still have a lot of Ficus, Fukiens, and Bucidas. I live up in central FLorida now, have been up here four 4 years, and I haven't lost one yet. I keep them in a greenhouse during the winter freezes, and they do fine.

Say, I would love to see a photo of your Gumbo Limbo. I had a big one down there, but it just never cut it for bonsai. Please share a photo if you get a chance.

BTW, Congrats on making it to EPCOT

Thanks
Rob A.
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Beginner tree for New York? Empty Beginner Tree for New York

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:12 am

Tell him to join Yama KI Bonsai Society. That is the nearest really active society. You can find them on the Web.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Matthews Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:39 am

Thanks for the replies, here's some pics of the Gumbo Limbo at Epcot. I'm working on the tree I'm entering for next year this weekend. I have a 30yr old Tokonome it's going into.

Here it is last weekend when I picked it up. I already wired the 2 straight branches on the right.
Beginner tree for New York? 3598794247_7e570bdb3f_b

Here it is in the beginning.

Beginner tree for New York? 3435625949_f8b92167ce_b

Beginner tree for New York? 3435625975_442ee2b78d_b
Greg Matthews
Greg Matthews

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:42 am

Hey, nice tree!

I had read about people using this material because of their propagation ease by very large cuttings, but this one actually looks good.

Nice job, and thanks for sharin'!
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down