Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tanuki...a good learning experience?

+35
RKatzin
DangerousBry
marcus watts
bob hill
Poink88
CraftyTanuki
Pavel Slovák
manosvince
thomasj
wam59
Hilton Meyer
Andrei Darusenkov
jeffrey
Rob C
ShohinDude
law
bonsai monkey
anttal63
Attila Soos
Rob Kempinski
Hans van Meer.
martin kolacia
Smithy
mbolos
Todd Ellis
Ron van Ravenhorst
Andrija Zokic
LANCE
john5555leonard
Neil Jaeger
Mike Jones
Jay Gaydosh
Nik Rozman
Billy M. Rhodes
cram
39 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Empty Re: tanuki...a good learning experience?

Post  marcus watts Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:41 pm

cram wrote:

at a moment i wanted to sell some ...but i still dont know how to pack them scratch ...so i leave the idea

anyway...if you have a way to do it...i can send some ...no problem

Hi again.
I am using one of my big old juniper trees as tanuki experiment at the moment but there is very poor dead wood to find in south west england! I would be very interested in buying a suitable piece of mountain deadwood as the piece of juniper dead wood i have is very young and not good with the tree.

I have friends in France (limogue) where the piece could be sent too as I am visiting them this summer, and again in October if you would be happy to post within France. Or i am happy to pay the postage to Uk if you could wrap the deadwood in bubble plastic etc.

I will add a few pictures of the tree if you are happy to select a piece of wood from your collection as it is quite a large and old tree, but with a thin trunk (you drew a design in the past)

Thanks again Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Empty Re: tanuki...a good learning experience?

Post  vev Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:56 am

a great experiencetanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Dsc00010tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Dsc00011tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Dsc00012tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Dsc00013
vev
vev

Back to top Go down

Post  bob hill Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:30 pm

hi marcus, you will have to take a trip up to scotland,its everywhere thumbs up bob hill.tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Pictur10

bob hill

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:49 pm

An impressive pile of litter Bob, certainly some good pickings in there. The pieces I find in the backwashes of the mountain lakes are mostly rootwads from cut trees that wash into the lake. They float around for years until they make their way up into the back corners where they are pummeled on the rocky shores.

After some time they end up looking like these two pieces of Western Red Cedar (Thuja plicata)

no 1tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Add_pi10

no. 2tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Add_pi11

Wish I had more pics to share. Lots of snow up there now, but when I can I'll get some pics from the lakes. Being deadwood I don't think there is any international restriction other than cost of shipping, but most of the washed out pieces are very light weight. The yew pieces are heavy, but are exceptional when cleaned up. The contrasting white sapwood and the red heartwood is beautiful and the wood is very durable, the heartwood and roots lasts for decades on the forest floor.

I'm not trying to sell anything, I would only like to share from an abundant natural source that I am blessed to have access to. Rick
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:18 pm

bob hill wrote:hi marcus, you will have to take a trip up to scotland,its everywhere thumbs up bob hill.tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Pictur10

haha, yes Bob I will by the look of it.................or I'd love someone to say "here is my unfortunately dead 200 year old needle juniper, you may as well put the trunk to good use Very Happy "

It does look like i need to scour the wilder parts of the uk - where's my walking boots............

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:49 pm

wow ..cool pot vev! Very Happy

and you know i love your trees...
[img]tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Dsc00012[/img]

well marcus...
two possibilities
you send me your adress in uk...and i send you a little(but nice) wood...for free(except the shipping Laughing )
or you come in my house if you come close to nice or cannes...and i will sell you a big bloody one
we can make the twice also Rolling Eyes
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:11 pm

cram wrote:well marcus...
two possibilities
you send me your adress in uk...and i send you a little(but nice) wood...for free(except the shipping Laughing )
or you come in my house if you come close to nice or cannes...and i will sell you a big bloody one

hi,
Fantastic - Lets do both Very Happy
I'll send you my address and make a plan to travel down to South of France later in the year - i could bring the juniper and we can start the tanuki ! Very Happy

thanks again

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:49 am

cram wrote:

A Nice and Cannes, lots of old childhood and teen age memories there! Just the other day me and the wife were looking at old slides made during the holidays that I spent there with my family during the 70ties and 80ties. I remember well, on board the Sun Express train from Roosendaal (Holland) and the next day we got off it again at our destination "Boulouris-sur-mer" in the France reviera! I kissed my first girl there, Silvie! France of course! And my live would never be the same again! Wink Smile
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:22 am

Here are 2 of my tanuki
Xuan
tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 AnotherTanukirewired001
tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 Zinnewpot2001

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:03 pm

very nice xuan le!!
they seems to be quiet big...
since how long do you work them?
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Thanks cram but they are not as beautiful as yours I love your works, the first tree I really don't remember exactly how many years but quite sometime the second one is a gift from my friends.

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:44 am

up for this one
[img]tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 P1100716[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Another beautiful one Cram.

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  mambo Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 pm

It's been fun looking at all these tanuki coming out of the closet!

mambo

Back to top Go down

Post  cram Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:32 pm

[img]tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 P1100728[/img]
[img]tanuki...a good learning experience? - Page 5 P1100729[/img]
cram
cram

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Jay Gaydosh wrote:Hope I'm not confused, but I wouldn't guarantee it! drunken

On a tanuki, a growing tree, is attached to a piece of deadwood to make it look like it is part of the same tree. So the Ficus would not have deadwood, it would be one part of a two part display, live tree & dead wood. The more delicate and deceptive the application of the tree to the deadwood, the more dramatic and awesome the display.

Note: I found it odd, until I did a little reading, that tanuki would be a word used to describe a bonsai, since tanuki is Japanese for badger. Only as I researched the word I quickley learned that the tanuki of Japanese legend was also a shapeshifter and prone to tricking villagers. Like the shapeshifting badger, the tanuki attempts to trick the observer into believing that the spindly live tree is part and parcel, the same as the presented jin and shari of the deadwood. As presented in the article I found, although tanuki bonsai are not normally allowed in reputable Japanese Bonsai Shows, tanuki is practiced in Japanese bonsai... for fun! In the Western world, tanuki has taken on a more acceptible form of bonsai. thumbs up

Jay

just a minor correction...a "tanuki" isnt a badger...the common name is raccoon dog and looks like a mix between a fox and a raccoon...in japanese lore, the kitsune (fox) is a shapeshifter, often taking human form and tricking people...
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5