Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

air-layering from the burrs hawthorn

+10
Pola
Ian Young
Mário Eusébio
john pitt
Fred-4-u
mr treevolution
Pavel Slovák
Peter E.
wabashene
eric sanders
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Empty air-layering from the burrs hawthorn

Post  eric sanders Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:09 pm

i bought this hawthorn in burrs 2008,i stationed it by a friend off mine because i was moving to another place.
he made this two air-layers and they are great.air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Dscf2810air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Dscf2811air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Dscf2113
eric sanders
eric sanders

Back to top Go down

air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Empty air-layering from the burrs hawthorn

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Excellent shohin material there Eric. Shows that its well worth a try.

Back to top Go down

air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Empty Re: air-layering from the burrs hawthorn

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi Eric, what technique did your friend use? has he done photos of the sequence... Members (including me) would like to know.

Looking forward to you coming to Burrs again Smile

Back to top Go down

air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Empty Re: air-layering from the burrs hawthorn

Post  wabashene Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 am

Yes. it would be good to know if there was anything "special" about the technique you used.

I've always understood that (c. monogyna) Hawthorn were notoriously difficult to air layer.

That being said, Hans Van Meer rooted a large cutting in water a few years back as documented on the old BTalk site

Interest is purely selfish of course. My allotment is surrounded by large hawthorns with boring bottoms but lots of interesting stuff up top.

Thks

TimR

P.S. Maybe something to do with Dutch air and water Very Happy
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:44 pm

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  eric sanders Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:54 pm

Fred (that's the guy who made the air-layering) took a ring of bark off from about 2 cm in height.
Then he put a little bit of powder to grow roots, and filled it up with moss.
He placed a black plastic container around it to create some extra heat and kept it moist.

and voila! some new roots.

I will place some photos next year to show the new roots.

Hope that this is written in understandable English.

air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Icon_cheers air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Icon_cheers air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Icon_cheers
eric sanders
eric sanders

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi Eric.

Very nice Hawthorn trees. Congratulation. Very Happy ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  mr treevolution Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 pm

Nice job! Hawthorn are hard to get to root via airlayer. I did over 40 on a hedge few years back and very few took. I tried various methods, not just the ring barking one. Some were reworked and left for another season, but not much more gained. I think some genetic strains must be easier than others!
Regards Nick

mr treevolution

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred-4-u Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:50 am

eric sanders wrote:Fred (that's the guy who made the air-layering) took a ring of bark off from about 2 cm in height.
He placed a black plastic container around it to create some extra heat and kept it moist.

And this was covered with a plastic bag to keep the moist in. alien
Fred-4-u
Fred-4-u

Back to top Go down

Post  john pitt Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:50 pm

by eric sanders on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:54 pm

Fred (that's the guy who made the air-layering) took a ring of bark off from about 2 cm in height.

and voila! some new roots.

Hi Eric,
and what time of year did he do this, and when did he sever the air layer?

john pitt

Back to top Go down

air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Empty when did he do it

Post  Fred-4-u Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:35 pm

john pitt wrote: and what time of year did he do this, and when did he sever the air layer?

begin april 2009 I airlayered the tree.
begin march 2010 I seperated them.

The whole season I kept the layer moist by injecting water with a needle.
The winter they were protected against frost, i.e. kept frost free.

Fred lol!
Fred-4-u
Fred-4-u

Back to top Go down

Post  john pitt Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Thanks very much Fred,
Have you done this on Hawthorns before?
just wondered how long Hawthorn would take to develop a crebible Nebari?
anyone have any info on this , pictures maybe?

john pitt

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred-4-u Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:34 pm

First timer on Hawthorn.
Fred-4-u
Fred-4-u

Back to top Go down

Post  Mário Eusébio Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:45 am

Hi,

I use to layer without no probs at all, I've been using the normal procedure I took off a ring bark in end of May and then in the midle of Setember I had enough roots to cut the Layer. One thing that I've noticed is that maybe due the strong birth of new roots the bark in the base had made some vertical breaks.

Two years later the roots are becoming ticker and the base too.

One of the tree a few weeks ago
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn IMG_5065

Without leaves
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn IMG_4850

Here before the layer. As you can see it was a ground layer but with complete ring. The goal was to create the nebari in the beginning of the two trunks.
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn IMG_0959

In few days I will make two layers in the same tree to separe it in 3 diferente trees.
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Bonsai5725

air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Bonsai5517
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Bonsai5516
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Bonsai5518

Regards,

Mário Eusébio

Mário Eusébio

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm trying a layer on one of my Hawthorn at the moment. I have photos if anyone finds them of use.

This is the tree, not me lurking, that's my mate Philip who has air layered just about everything he can get his hands on in the last 2 years. I am going with the lower trunk line but didn't want to waste the upper portion so we opted to try and layer.
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Dscf1115
A few branches are removed to clear the way for the layering.
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Dscf1120
A strip of bark is removed and the area scraped clean.
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Dscf1117
Moss is applied around the area and held in place with cling film. No rooting powder was applied as it never seems to make any difference. If it's going to root it will!
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Dscf1118
Black rubber from an old pond liner is used to cover up the area and is held in place with wire. This can be removed easily to check on progress. The rubber seems to help with keeping temp even within the moss and protecting from late frosts.
air-layering from the burrs hawthorn Dscf1119
The layer was done at the end of March. I'll keep you posted as too any progress this year.
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Great Hawthorn Ian. I like the idea here. Waste not want not. Look forward to seeing the development of both trees, particularly the one in the pot. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  eric sanders Sun May 09, 2010 8:56 pm

update.

this one is doing great,the other one i removed the flower buds,because it,s not so healthy as this oneair-layering from the burrs hawthorn Dscf2813
eric sanders
eric sanders

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 09, 2010 9:11 pm

WOW Eric!!! I've had to wait seven years for my Welsh Hawthorn to flower....You get them straight away. Do you think that much flower will weaken the tree too much? Will you cut off the flowers to stop fruiting?

Back to top Go down

Post  Pola Mon May 10, 2010 5:37 am

Beautiful trees Eric!
Not using rooting hormone seems logical. The tree must produce new roots if it want's to survive,with or without it....hhmmm...interesting. Guess i have some experimenting to do. scratch
Pola
Pola

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon May 10, 2010 6:41 am

Hi Eric.

It's wonderful. Congratulations. ThumbsUp
I like fruit on the tree still left, it carries a lot of it.

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  eric sanders Mon May 10, 2010 5:34 pm

to will,

i removed lot,s off flower buds and still there are lot,s to show.
but i must say that the other one is not this good and so i removed them all.
And i will prune the flowers in a couple off days for the most.
Very Happy Very Happy
eric sanders
eric sanders

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Mon May 10, 2010 11:15 pm

A great result Eric !!! Definately worth having a go for those shapes! Congrats! cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:25 pm

Instead of starting a new topic, I've resurrected this post about layering hawthorn. I removed the layer that I have posted here back in May.

air-layering from the burrs hawthorn 50834710

I have added it as a case study on our club website. Click on the link to have a look if you are interested.

Hawthorn Air layering
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  paul.spearman Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Eric nice job done on your hawthorns, the tree came from Andrew Arther. out of 25 welsh Hawthorns i have,
only 2 flowered you can give Andrew and myself the secret to flowering at burrs
reg Paul

paul.spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred-4-u Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:15 am

The mother flowered aswellair-layering from the burrs hawthorn Hersch10
Fred-4-u
Fred-4-u

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next