Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phoenix grafts

3 posters

Go down

Phoenix grafts Empty Phoenix grafts

Post  Craig Cowing Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:14 am

I'm planning a phoenix graft using a dead trunk of a hinoki cypress with a great root base, and it's a straight trunk. I've never done one of these before, so I'm wondering about what order to do lime sulphur and wood hardener. It would seem to me that lime sulphur would be first, then wood hardener, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, I'm wondering what the best way would be to secure the base of the dead trunk into the pot. Would fastening it to a block of wood be good? Is it advisable to have any of the treated deadwood below the soil?
Craig Cowing
Craig Cowing

Back to top Go down

Phoenix grafts Empty Re: Phoenix grafts

Post  JimLewis Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:16 pm

I only have one small phoenix graft, so may not be the prime expert on the topic.  Mine is straight also.  The deadwood is "lighterwood" pine, which is virtually impervious to rotting.  I don't know how Hinoki is.  I used lime sulfur, followed after several days with Minwax wood hardener several weeks before I put the thing together.  I sanded the whole thing to remove the gloss from the Minwax.  

The deadwood just barely enters the soil.  I rely on the tree to hold the thing steady and it works -- more of less.

Mine is small (less than 11 inches), so I used Gorilla Glue to hold the trunk into the groove.  I built this one back in '95 or '96.  I did it just to see if I could, and have had little inclination to make another -- though I have several other pieces of lighterwood.

Phoenix grafts 8-12_t10

Phoenix grafts 8-12_t11

Hope this is some help.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Cowing Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Thanks Jim. Doing the lime sulphur first makes the most sense. The trunk for this one will be a variation on a formal upright, like an extreme lightning strike.  Phoenix grafts 290456
Craig Cowing
Craig Cowing

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:30 pm

old post...
jim, you simply gorilla glued the tree to the deadwood ???

did you find that inhibited any of the grafting of the tree to the deadood ???

i ask because i tried my first one over the holiday, but secured the 2 together using a different method...
(which i will describe when i post pics of my attempt)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:12 pm

j
im, you simply gorilla glued the tree to the deadwood ???

Yup.

did you find that inhibited any of the grafting of the tree to the deadood ???

Well, tanuki don't really "graft" themselves to the deadwood; it IS dead, after all. They do tend to grow into the grooves, and "stick" to the wood if given the chance.

I, however, haven't given this one much of a chance to do that since I've had it in very small pots all the time. Over the long run, this hasn't been 100% successful. If you've used GG, you know that it froths and bubbles up and expands all over the place if you aren't very careful with the application. I've learned that it also weathers and cracks along edges exposed to the elements, where I'd been using the froth as something of a filler. That has made me use wood filler to disguise the crackles.

It holds the tree in place just fine.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:20 pm

ok - thanks !

JimLewis wrote: It holds the tree in place just fine.
i would be more surprised if it didn't !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:58 pm

I used glue because the tree was simply too small to hammer a nail in, much less a screw.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:45 pm

hopefully what i did might be another option for smaller branches....
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down