Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Ficus "I think"

4 posters

Go down

New Ficus "I think" Empty New Ficus "I think"

Post  Jake16 Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:26 am

So this tree is pretty rough and a perfect example of malsai. (I am assuming its a ficus) It was free so I couldn't turn it down. I don't know how to proceed. My only thoughts are to let it grow out and improve taper but the trunk is so ugly. If any body has any ideas, my ears are open.

New Ficus "I think" Ficus_10

New Ficus "I think" Ficus_11

New Ficus "I think" Ficus_12
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

New Ficus "I think" Empty Re: New Ficus "I think"

Post  Ryan Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:47 am

Yup that's a Ficus, looks like a microcarpa. However, that there isn't really considered a traditional bonsai to many artists due to those big ugly tubers. That is Ficus growth grafted onto those tubers, and that's where they get the name 'Ginseng Ficus'. They're nice to get cuttings off of and practice on, but nothing more really.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 am

First I'd heard that these were grafted. Many -- if not all -- Ficus develop these extremely fat roots. They used them for storage.

You can see one beginning to form in this pic of my willow leaf fro0m several years ago.

New Ficus "I think" F_neri10

And how I finally dealt with it. This pic also is several years old.

New Ficus "I think" Fig_2_10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:03 pm

My approach would be to ground layer it, or plant deeper in a deeper pot, or to wrap the top portion of the roots in sphagnum. Different techniques for developing some fine roots on top of the big ugly tubers. Then you could remove most of the tubers leaving the fine roots with a tapered structure from only the top portion of e existing roots.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:48 am

Sounds like a plan ill air layer it this year if it looks healthy and are these actuqlly inside trees or just labeled that
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:03 pm

I think it would survive inside near a bright window, but in order to gather strength for the air layer, some real sun would expedite the process. I would leave all the green on the plant for now until you have the roots under control. Then you can chop back and work on ramifcation and leaf size once the foundation is complete.
My ficus are doing pretty well under t5 and led light this winter, but I still plan on taking most of them outside for the growing season for health and development.
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down