Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia

+7
Dale Cochoy
Dustin Mann
Ka Pabling
Ami BAS
Todd Ellis
moyogijohn
Ed Trout
11 posters

Go down

Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Empty Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia

Post  Ed Trout Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:53 am

We had our monthly study group meeting today. Always a lot of fun with a great group. I worked on this Ficus nerifolia. It was started last August. Please let me know your thoughts.
Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Semica10

Ed Trout Pembroke Pines, Florida zone 10c (really hot & humid today)

Last edited by Chris Cochrane on Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cleaned image tags for larger illustration)

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Empty FICUS

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:11 am

That is really a great looking tree!!! the tropical trees in fla are the best. most interesting pot you have it in too. what made your desion for a cresent sp.. pot???good work would be happy to have that one..john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Empty Re: Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:27 am

Ed, great tree! I like the idea of the crescent pot. I'm not sure the size of the pot is right. The taper on this tree is amazing! Do you have a picture of the tree with leaves, in this pot? Salut, Todd.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ami BAS Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:05 am

Hi Ed,
A very dramtic one, looks as if for decades struggling and managing to survive. How old is it?
I think the two thick branches in the midlle [between apex & cascade part] are confusing a bit the composition. the right one [looks as an extantion of the trunk] is too straight and heavi. maybe split it and than add a curve? the othr one is pointing back toward the trunk. Maybe cut the last part and let it curle dounwards?
And your pot is amazing. Here in israel we are trying to find a ceramic artist that weel meet the challenge, becuse only regual chinese & Japaneese pots are available.
Ami BAS
Ami BAS

Back to top Go down

Post  Ka Pabling Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:13 am

Very nice tree with perfect tapers. I seem to agree with Todd about the size of the pot, It has a huge
trunk so maybe you need a bigger pot. also I see two bar branches in the lower portion.
Good work Ed

Cheers
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Ed, Wonderful design work as always from you. Looks similar to tree Louise Lester has. I am fan of big base or exposed roots hanging next to a cliff. You really have the 'sumo boy' ancient base. For me it is 1st focal point. Tapering excellent. Just my opinion, but base cradles that trunk and I don't get'hanging on to time isolation' feeling.I would go for semi-cascade pot with large feet. Hey, take it with grain of salt. Dustin Very Happy Very Happy

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks for your comments guys,

Chris, thank you for fixing the photo. Don't know why it posted so small ?

This tree has only been in development for about a year. It had been an informal upright, probably only 5-8 years old. It is 7 inches wide at the base & about 14 inches tall. I will post another photo as soon as it breaks out with new growth. ( with this heat, that may be a few hours !! ) The camera angle may have not shown the true branch placements, but there are no bar branches on the cascade branch. I'll try to get a better photo. I went to the crescent pot after trying several semi-cascade square, round, and lotus styles, and didn't get "the feel". This pot is from Iker Bonsai, and is nicely made, but the largest I was able to get. I'm going to talk to Dale Cochoy to see if he can make a bigger one. There is a lot of work to be done to ramify the branch structures, but that's where the enjoyment comes in.

Ed

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Here is a quick shot from overhead showing the cascade branch.

EdSemi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Cascad10

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Man I LIKE that tree Ed!! thumbs up

Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Big_sc10

Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia 3_larg10

You saw these two at BSF Orlando.

Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Large_10
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:36 pm

Dale,

I really like that first one. This tree is about 7 & 1/2 inches at the base and 14 inches tall from the bottom of the pot it's now in. Some say that this one is too small. I think the size looks pretty good, but I think that the color is too close to the color of the trunk. "Impact" is what I'm looking for ! You deal in that right ?

Ed

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Ed what a great tree!!! The composition is on the money big time! Thanks for sharing. cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Empty ficus

Post  john5555leonard Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:36 am

Ed Trout wrote:We had our monthly study group meeting today. Always a lot of fun with a great group. I worked on this Ficus nerifolia. It was started last August. Please let me know your thoughts.
Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Semica10

Ed Trout Pembroke Pines, Florida zone 10c (really hot & humid today)
great tree nice to see a good shaped one they all look like mushrooms out here . but now I,v seen yours I,ll have to get one . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:17 am

hi ed. nice ficus with a great future in your capable hands. if you don't mind, can I share a picture of one of our kauai bonyu kai ficus, shaped much like yours?Semi Cascade Ficus Nerifolia Dsc06710

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:19 am

Dear kauaibonsai,

That is unbelievable ! They are almost the same tree !! I hope I can make mine as beautiful !!

Thank You,

Ed Trout

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:09 am

just a matter of time, ed. this nerifolia is old. the pot measures about 20 inches inside, gives you an idea how massive the base is.

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  WOG Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:26 am

beautiful tree, I like ficusy, and this has a future
WOG
WOG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down