Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus

+5
moyogijohn
AK_Panama
Rob Kempinski
Russell Coker
thomasj
9 posters

Go down

An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus Empty An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus

Post  thomasj Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:02 pm

I just go crazy whenever I see a great looking cascade or semi cascade bonsai. They always have been my favorite bonsai style. I only have two myself because it's hard to find anything good that doesn't cost half a fortune. That was until I came across this one recently. It's an import from Vietnam and is styled exactly the way I want it, that is for the trunk anyway. The foliage styling has some work that in the course of time I hope to improve a lot. Smile

An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus Ficu2110
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus Empty Re: An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus

Post  Russell Coker Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:11 pm

Nice find Thomas! I like it very much too. What kind of ficus is it? I can't tell from the picture. Also, are the branches grafted? Do you mind sharing how/where you acquired it? Hope that's not too personal.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus Empty Re: An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus

Post  thomasj Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Russell,
Now that you mention it, I forgot to add that the branches are grafted, but hardly noticeable at all. I'm not familliar with the different varieties of ficus so I can't help there. The tree was purchased at a new bonsai nursery in Arlington Texas. The owners are good friends of mine and I go out there as Often as I can (100 miles round trip Crying or Very sad ) to work on their trees. They have some of the finest bonsai for sale that I've seen in a long time, most of it imported from Vietnam since they themselves are Vietnamese. Right beside this tree was another one with an even fatter trunk and heavier foliage, a great looking tree but a bit too heavy for me to have to carry around this winter since this one will be staying indoors then. Anyone in north Texas and Oklahoma should check this place out since they don't ship. Anyone interested can PM me since I don't know if it's okay to post the name of the nursery on this particular forum. Smile
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Very good catch. The cascade trunk has nice movement. Will be fun arranging the branches.

I travel to Ft Worth a lot so maybe I will have to check out the nursery. Smile
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm

I don't think anyone would mind you posting the name of the nursery or their website if they have one. Seems to be done fairly often.

Please post a good picture of the foliage, I don't recognize this Ficus. Maybe some of our tropical people can id it.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  thomasj Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Here's the link to the nursery:Nursery

When I have a chance Russell I will post a close up of the leaves.

Rob, most of the trees there are pretty good size so if you fly it might not be possible to bring any, but that's not to say they don't have any small size trees though.

The pics on the website don't do any justice for what you will see in person. Smile

Forgot to mention that it's a full type nursery meaning that bonsai is only half of what the sell so click on the "Bonsai" tab.
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Thomas J. wrote:Here's the link to the nursery:Nursery

When I have a chance Russell I will post a close up of the leaves.

Rob, most of the trees there are pretty good size so if you fly it might not be possible to bring any, but that's not to say they don't have any small size trees though.

The pics on the website don't do any justice for what you will see in person. Smile

Forgot to mention that it's a full type nursery meaning that bonsai is only half of what the sell so click on the "Bonsai" tab.

Thanks Thomas - I'll definitely visit next time I'm in town. Some good golf courses nearby so it could be a fun afternoon. Smile
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Is that an Emerald Green Ficus?
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  thomasj Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm not sure of the variety of ficus, so here is a close up if it helps.

An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus Leaf10
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus Empty an inport from vietnam semi cascade ficus

Post  moyogijohn Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:34 pm

You found a very nice tree!! the leaves look like one i have the nursery called " green island" it is grafted also..too bad they don,t ship!! i would love to order from them..the tree is good you will only make it better...take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Hi Thomas

Very nice and interesing tree. Also, I like such a tribe in the half cascade. I love it. Congratulations to a good purchase.

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Yeap, taht looks like the Emerald Green....but I´m not a fig expert.
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus Empty What a Beauty

Post  Jeff S Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:05 pm

I really love the cascade style of this ficus. It's gorgeous. I'm in Arlington. Where can I find this place? BTW: I agree this is a Green Island Ficus.

Jeff S

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:18 pm

It reminds me of my Green Island Ficus, Ficus microcarpa. You found a nice tree; it will only get better with time. I have had mine for many years and find them easy to grow and maintain. Do watch for scale Very Happy
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  thomasj Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 am

Jeff,
the name of the nursery is Tea Garden Nursery, about a block east of Collins on Arkansas St. Get ready to see some amazing ficus there. I maintain all their bonsai and was blown away when I first saw what kind of trees they had. These things sell for in the thousands but what beauties they have. Check out some of their giant Japanese Black Pines that are bonsai styled for outdoor landscapes. They also have a few JBPs that are regular size, one that is a nice double trunk. Have fun looking. Very Happy

Here's an update of the tree and I might mention that I have it listed for sale on Craigslist in the Dallas section. Laughing

An Import From Vietnam - Semi Cascade Ficus Item5110
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  Chaddad Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Your Ficus is a ginseng, a form tetraploid of green island. With a reduction of giberelic acid synthesis and elevation of clorofila and citocinines.
Chaddad
Chaddad

Back to top Go down

Post  thomasj Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 pm

Wow, I'm not even sure what you said, but okay. Shocked
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down