Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Salt and Pepper Ficus (ficus benjamina) suggestions

3 posters

Go down

Salt and Pepper Ficus (ficus benjamina) suggestions Empty Salt and Pepper Ficus (ficus benjamina) suggestions

Post  fbizuneh Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Here are some pictures of a Ficus Benjamina (aka salt and pepper ficus) that I bought at Walmart for $7.50. I chose it because it was the least straight trunk. of the nursery bunch.  I cut the trunk down to about 14", and wired the trunk and branches into this wind swept look. I also stuck some of the lower branches into the soil. I live on The Big Island of Hawaii at 1000' of elevation.

I had a few question about directions to take this tree.

- Will the lower branches bent into the soil develop into root like structures?
- How much sunlight does this tree need.
- When is the ideal time to prune and do additonal wiring?
- How long should I leave on the current wiring?
- What's the best way to promote the formation of aerial roots?
- Any additional tips or comments would also be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
Fasil

Salt and Pepper Ficus (ficus benjamina) suggestions Photog12
fbizuneh
fbizuneh

Back to top Go down

Salt and Pepper Ficus (ficus benjamina) suggestions Empty Re: Salt and Pepper Ficus (ficus benjamina) suggestions

Post  Ryan Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi Fasil,

I'd take the wire off the tree personally. You're shooting for a windswept, but the trunk is too straight for that. I'd take it off and let the tree grow for a little bit and thicken the trunk, then you can cut back more to achieve taper. The things at the base of the tree are roots, they're aerial roots that sprouted due to high humidity. If you let those grow they will thicken and you will have a thicker base faster because of those.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Salt and Pepper Ficus (ficus benjamina) suggestions Empty Salt and Pepper Fig

Post  bonsaisr Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:31 am

Never heard it called that before. I don't think this tree would be convincing in windswept style. Pot it in a large pot with coarse soil & develop the branches.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Salt and Pepper Ficus (ficus benjamina) suggestions Empty Re: Salt and Pepper Ficus (ficus benjamina) suggestions

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down