Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

̉Lime sulfur banned in US

+18
Barry
Rob Kempinski
Bob Pressler
wabashene
Marija Hajdic
Joao Santos
kora
Bruce Winter
jake4bonsai
framor
mike page
marcus watts
Norma
Poink88
coh
FrankP999
JimLewis
Orion
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

̉Lime sulfur banned in US Empty ̉Lime sulfur banned in US

Post  Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:30 pm

is it true?
What will happen to your deadwood without it?
Is there an alternative chemical to it?
will it be banned as well in your country?

regards
jun Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

̉Lime sulfur banned in US Empty Re: ̉Lime sulfur banned in US

Post  Orion Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:42 pm

That's a rumor that has been flying around for almost a couple of years now. Last I heard, there's nothing to it.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:53 pm

NONONONONO.

This rumor has been floating around the garden/bonsai forums for years. Everyone knows someone who knows someone who said his uncle twice removed heard that . . . . blah, blah

A couple of weeks ago after this popped up on another bonsai site, I spent more than a half hour scouring the various USEPA pesticide regulation pages trying to find something about the LS ban.

My rummaging around in the USEPA's Pesticide Regulation pages found NOTHING that says lime sulfur (Calcium sulfide/ calcium polysulfide) is a banned, or even a restricted-use pesticide. The product data sheet for it clearly notes that environmental effects are minor.

Lime sulfur, the pesticide is still a registered product in the EPA and has been since 1961. http://iaspub.epa.gov/apex/pesticide...EMICAL_ID:2686

All information on a presumed ban on lime sulfur that I can find via a simple Google search is plain and simple hearsay, mostly in various forums such as this one.

Last I heard, all states but California are pretty much bound by the EPA's registration process. I am told (hearsay again) by California residents that the CA Legislature (?) or pesticide regulatory agency has banned its sale to all but registered pesticide applicators, but Google gives me nothing on that, either and I have not rummaged into the California pesticide files. Some reference to applicable statute or regulation would be helpful.

The product is still available here in NC, despite the fact I've seen other posts on bonsai sites that list something like 46 states (including NC) who allegedly have banned the stuff.

So, until someone gives me better information . . . and I'd really like to see it WITH full literature and website citations . . . I'm gonna call that pure rumor and BS.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:56 pm

just got a news today. it is totally banned in 46 states, the other two requires a special permit for its use
, the other two is preparing a total ban as well.

...just curious.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:57 pm

"News" from whom, Jun? CITATIONS please.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:19 pm

JimLewis wrote:"News" from whom, Jun? CITATIONS please.

Here ya go:

per Collin Lewis in the Stone Lantern newsletter - down toward the bottom

http://bonsaibark.com/2012/01/09/weekly-wire-the-end-of-lime-sulfur/

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:24 pm

JimLewis wrote:"News" from whom, Jun? CITATIONS please.

hi Jim.
email from " Bonsai bark" author is Colin Lewis..

regards
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:50 pm

I don't know where Colin Lewis is getting his information - I've been searching for information on this and have found nothing definitive. Doesn't mean it isn't true, of course.

I have calls into a local supplier and one of the manufacturers (Bonide) to see if they can shed any light on this. Will report back when I hear something.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:52 pm

I read something to this effect a few months back, so I bought some...just in case. Twisted Evil
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Everyone keeps repeating the same source - Colin Lewis. But where is he getting this information? That is the key, and he isn't providing that. Maybe he has some "inside information", but I'd like to see something "official" before I go stocking up.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:02 pm

if it is banned from general sale you can make your own easily enough. sulphur and quicklime in ratio of 2.25:1 (by weight) - a lifetime supply would be 4lb sulphur, 1.8lb pure quicklime, 2.5 gallon water - boil for an hour - outside !!, this is the concentrate, dilute as usual.

All the info you need is here: LS recipe

cheers
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:22 pm

marcus watts wrote:if it is banned from general sale you can make your own easily enough. sulphur and quicklime in ratio of 2.25:1 (by weight) - a lifetime supply would be 4lb sulphur, 1.8lb pure quicklime, 2.5 gallon water - boil for an hour - outside !!, this is the concentrate, dilute as usual.

All the info you need is here: LS recipe

cheers

ONLY if you do not have neighbors. It REALLY REALLY stinks while you are making it. And be certain you have a respirator mask handy (preferably on your face).

Colin has been saying this for some time now, but as Coh says, He cites no sources, and as far as i now he is not on any pesticide regulation board; now is he a licensed applicator (to my knowledge). I've been to the EPA site since then.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:41 pm

Lime sulfer has been banned as an agricultural spray in California, and is no longer available at garden supply stores. I have aquired it by mail order as "jin seal".
If you want your dead wood to be bleached white like desert junipers I don't know of any other chemical that will do the job like lime sulfer. However, if you have dead wood that you want to preserve in a natural look, I've found that walnut oil does a good job. It's readily available from art supply stores. It can be applied with a paint brush, then rubbed into the wood with a cloth.
Bonsai dead wood that I've rubbed with walnut oil have survived rainy California winters with no damage.
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Bonide no longer produces Lime Sulfur, but I have a call in to another manufacturer.

Two local nurseries (including Miller Nurseries, a national supplier of fruit trees) claim that Lime Sulfur can no longer be sold in New York State. They said this has been the case for a couple of years now...old stock can apparently be sold off (and I was able to buy some this past summer), but no more can be acquired and sold in the state. However...our DEC website still lists Lime Sulfur on its registered pesticide list with no restrictions. So I have a call in to them as well. Nobody I've spoken with locally has any knowledge about bans in other states or at the federal level.

I guess...bottom line, if you've come to rely on lime sulfur (and don't want to make your own), it probably wouldn't be bad idea to acquire some extra...

Chris

coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:34 pm

All the inquiries might be stirring the pot though and hasten the implementation of the ban (if there is one).
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Let's hear from other states. AFIK it's still OK in NC. I bought a pint bottle last summer -- probably a lifetime supply for me, if I keep the bottle tightly closed.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm

I bought mine this past summer, but it has supposedly been banned in NY since about 2009. I think they're able to sell what's still on hand, but can't get more (at least here).

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  framor Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:59 pm

I live in Washington, DC, but learned from a local Virginia nusery about the ban. Once they sold what they had, that's it...needless to say, I bought what they had. It looks like it's a no-go in Virginia.

Stephen
Washington, DC

framor

Back to top Go down

̉Lime sulfur banned in US Empty ban

Post  jake4bonsai Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:13 am

Does anyone know about the ban in ohio? Ive called places here in ohio that i know carries it and they havent even heard of this ban. They said as far as they know or are concerned itll be on thier shelves until thier otherwise directed.
jake4bonsai
jake4bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:55 am

My lime sulphur source in eBay suddenly sold out his 4 oz bottles (I checked shortly after this post and he still have a lot). Only 2 oz / 60 ml bottles are available now.

Jun, you might have started panic buying here Wink
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:21 am

Of interest:
The EPA re-approved Lime Sulphur's use in 2005, saying it posed no real risk to fish, people or the food supply:
http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/ino...lfides_red.pdf

The Univesity of Washington includes it in preventatives for stone fruit crops for 2011:
http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/cepublicatio...419/eb0419.pdf

Or just buy sulfurated lime concentrate from a pet shop. Same product, a lot cheaper.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:01 am

Poink88 wrote:My lime sulphur source in eBay suddenly sold out his 4 oz bottles (I checked shortly after this post and he still have a lot). Only 2 oz / 60 ml bottles are available now.

Jun, you might have started panic buying here Wink

...most countries are following US safety standards and using its studies as a model for their own use. wwhat affect the US might affect most countries as well. that is why I started the thread with questions including possible alternative solutions if there are truth on this empending problem...and it id good to know that other posters in this thread got some recommendations.

regards,
jun Embarassed

Back to top Go down

̉Lime sulfur banned in US Empty lime sulfur banned in the us

Post  kora Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:00 am

Well, I can't comment on the law-it is however impossible to find in the nurseries in California-certainly had no luck around my area-East Bay.

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  Joao Santos Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 am

mike page wrote:Lime sulfer has been banned as an agricultural spray in California, and is no longer available at garden supply stores. I have aquired it by mail order as "jin seal".
If you want your dead wood to be bleached white like desert junipers I don't know of any other chemical that will do the job like lime sulfer. However, if you have dead wood that you want to preserve in a natural look, I've found that walnut oil does a good job. It's readily available from art supply stores. It can be applied with a paint brush, then rubbed into the wood with a cloth.
Bonsai dead wood that I've rubbed with walnut oil have survived rainy California winters with no damage.

Hi Mike,

Could you show us some pictures of the walnut oil effect

Thanks

João Santos
Joao Santos
Joao Santos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next