Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lemon juice instead of lime sulfur?

4 posters

Go down

Lemon juice instead of lime sulfur? Empty Lemon juice instead of lime sulfur?

Post  sairarias Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:13 am

Hi all,

I borrowed Deborah Koreshoff's Bonsai from the library, and in there she mentions using lemon juice (diluted with water) instead of lime sulfur on jinned branches. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? I'm kind of curious, because I haven't really found much on this elsewhere so far.

Thanks!

Saira

sairarias

Back to top Go down

Lemon juice instead of lime sulfur? Empty Re: Lemon juice instead of lime sulfur?

Post  Jaco Kriek Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:39 am

I see nobody is answering. I don’t know the answer myself but would think that the lemon juice would just wash off with the first watering?
Jaco Kriek
Jaco Kriek

Back to top Go down

Lemon juice instead of lime sulfur? Empty Re: Lemon juice instead of lime sulfur?

Post  Alm6 Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:45 pm

I have asked this same question, and no one seems to have heard of this. In short the answer is Yes I have used it, I mix it with a little poster paint usually a mix of grey white and brown different mixes for different trees and sometimes two slightly different shades on the same tree to give a little darker effect to shaded areas. It seems to last ok.
Give it a go.it wont do any harm.

Alm6

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Lemon juice contains natural acid. By itself I don't think the whitening effect would be too profound, but it would work as a maintenance method. I use white vinegar (acid too) to maintain and clean trees (yes, both jin and bark). It brings out some of the white in a previously lime-sulfured branch without having to use such a corrosive material again and it helps keep things clean and free of fungus.
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  sairarias Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I may try this while I'm waiting for the lime sulfur...

sairarias

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down