Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

+57
Roger Snipes
moyogijohn
stavros
eric sanders
Dave Martin
Sheila Becker
ybonsai
santi
Viriato Oliveira
bontailo
Jesse
Neil Jaeger
Lone
robert hill
Brett Summers
Peter E.
fiona
kauaibonsai
LANCE
DreadyKGB
gman
Mike Jones
jonathan e
Bugeye
irene_b
Marija Hajdic
Andrija Zokic
wabashene
Paul B (Scotland)
Rob Kempinski
bonsai monkey
aRodas
Martin S
Jonny D
my nellie
Peter Adams
Fuzzy
Dustin Mann
Curtis
Kev Bailey
Nik Rozman
peter krebs
mehrdadchavosh
Eric Newton
Seth Ellwood
Pavel Slovák
bobby little
Mario Stefano
Justin Hervey
NeilDellinger
waway
Stone Monkey
Jim Doiron
Harleyrider
bigsteve
leonardo
Carolee
61 posters

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 8 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Yes, I suppose the top is more feminine than the base. I still see it as a very masculine tree though......In touch with its feminine side perhaps.

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 8 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  gman Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey Will I agree and I'm sure it looks more apparent in real life........thats funny as that's what I thought but.... wasn't sure you'd take it that way Laughing As I heard it mentioned the other day its metro sexual .
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 am

I was thinking maybe an old woman whose skin shows the weather and cracks from a life of hard work and she's a wearing a pair of her husbands overalls, yet is still feminine. A strong woman who doesn't need to virulently express her femininity. Maybe?

Todd

DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  LANCE Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:42 pm

Will, Excellent trees. What soil mix do you use? Phil
LANCE
LANCE

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 am

Hello Phil. I use a mix of Kiryu and Akadama with sieved leaf litter. This is proving too expensive, so I will try some cat litter in the mix this year.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:06 pm

This picture is an Elm I collected last year. Pulled it from its pot to see how the roots had grown. There were sufficient roots at the top end to sacrifice those i the middle. You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 8 Img_0510

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:09 pm

I cut the rim from one side of a plastic container to allow some cascade and allow depth to the root.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 8 Img_1210

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:11 pm

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 8 Img_1211

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:13 pm

Bags of character.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 8 Img_1212

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:15 pm

Love this first section in this tree.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 8 Img_1213

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:52 pm

OMG Will, what a beauty.
We really need to have words about your Elms my friend as mine never end up like yours.
Seeing where you are going with this tree I wished I brought the small one that you had for sale at Capel Manor.
I think I need to go "Back to School" when it comes to seeing potential within raw material, as I'm generally pants!!

Keep us posted Will,
Ook, Ook,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks Simon. I have a shohin English Elm forest group that I have decided to break up into individuals. There are a dozen or so and I will be doing this in the next couple of days.

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:16 pm

will baddeley wrote:Thanks Simon. I have a shohin English Elm forest group that I have decided to break up into individuals. There are a dozen or so and I will be doing this in the next couple of days.

Hubba-hubba Wink
Why are you breaking it down Will, you don't often see Shohin groups,

Ook, Ook,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:21 pm

nice. will

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Will.

You know how I've always liked you.

flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello Simon. The trees are shohin sized but the planting is anything but. I do like this mini forest but at a metre long, it's very difficult to move or maintain. I think the trees will be better as individuals.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 8 Img_0411

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Will

Bring some down with you in March sir if you have potted them up individually Very Happy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:36 pm

How much for this one ?.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 8 Img_0410

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:38 pm

fiona wrote:Hi Will.

You know how I've always liked you.

flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes flutter eyelashes

Cupboard love Fi..... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 am

Hi Will

That is a bunch of great elms you have there. I have collected a few Elms around my way a few are a little like yours being twisted and turned in a water way. Although I will be looking harder for better ones as yours are so great.

I always thought mine where English elm but recently I have given it more thought that I can not be sure. Mine have the wings on the branches and leaf very similar to yours. I will get a pic or two up soon.

I have found they grow profusely in Spring but slow down to a stop as it warms up and they don't even get going agian as it cools down. This means I get one growth spurt per season even if I trim them back. I will start experimenting with defoliation next season to see if this helps but as most of my other trees grow all season long this is quite frustrating. Root growth seems great.
A comment of yours at the beginning of this thread may suggest you get the same but I wanted to get your thoughts on this.

Thanks for any help
Brett

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:55 am

personally, I would not break this up. its so much more striking together, than apart. imagine when the common canopy becomes highly ramified! a trophy, for sure. or as a second choice, maybe two groups?

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:08 am

Hello Sam. I may keep the smaller group together for now and break up the larger one. I know what you mean about the composition but its a lot easier to work on as individuals and in the long run, will do them more justice

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:19 am

Hello Brett. Winged sections are common on English Elm with rapid growth areas. Elms are notoriously difficult to categorise, as they can vary from County to County. Leaf shape can vary on the same plant too. I find some Elms to be extremely vigorous and others not so. I am going to change my feeding this year so they recieve food every time I water, to see if it makes a difference. The Elm at Noelanders is always slow to grow. It will gladly fill the pot with roots but the branches seldom shoot more than 6-8 leaves.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:32 am

Hi Will.

WHHHHY???

this is a very nice composition. it will become just another (lots of them) shohin/s or twin trunk or triple trunk, what ever.
send it to me, I'll send you all my chinese "S" elms for your shohins.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Hello Jun. WHHHY?...For the reasons above. It's also planted in a fibreglass pot and pretty ugly too. To buy a good pot for this group would cost well into the hundreds of pounds as well. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next