Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

+57
Roger Snipes
moyogijohn
stavros
eric sanders
Dave Martin
Sheila Becker
ybonsai
santi
Viriato Oliveira
bontailo
Jesse
Neil Jaeger
Lone
robert hill
Brett Summers
Peter E.
fiona
kauaibonsai
LANCE
DreadyKGB
gman
Mike Jones
jonathan e
Bugeye
irene_b
Marija Hajdic
Andrija Zokic
wabashene
Paul B (Scotland)
Rob Kempinski
bonsai monkey
aRodas
Martin S
Jonny D
my nellie
Peter Adams
Fuzzy
Dustin Mann
Curtis
Kev Bailey
Nik Rozman
peter krebs
mehrdadchavosh
Eric Newton
Seth Ellwood
Pavel Slovák
bobby little
Mario Stefano
Justin Hervey
NeilDellinger
waway
Stone Monkey
Jim Doiron
Harleyrider
bigsteve
leonardo
Carolee
61 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 2 Empty Re: You showed me your's, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:59 pm

The last Elm with the bark entire. Those pesky vine weevils were probably going at the roots as this pic was taken.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 2 Elm_110

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 2 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  waway Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:14 pm

will baddeley wrote:
Waway. This tree collapsed on me a year after collection. It was originally alive, all the way round but slowly died off. On inspection, I found a heavy infestation of vine weevil [ a root eating grub ] that had left me with two tiny roots. I was left with an inch [2.5cm ] of live vein. The tree was naturally hollow but the outside is carved. Makita and Dremmel and fine detail picked out with a scalpel.

You and this tree are really meant to be. This will definitely go a long way.

Wow such a very nice tree just watching it makes me drool Razz . I like it more with leaves on it, sorry but can't really appreciate a "winter look" as we don't experience that season here in the tropics. I love the colors of the trees in autumn especially the acer palmatum.

Nice job Will. ThumbsUp

Warren

waway

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 2 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  waway Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:17 pm

will baddeley wrote:Close up of the carving.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 2 01310

WOW WOW WOW Shocked

Just love to see a deadwood. How do you do the "wrinkles" on the wood? And what did you do for the colors to blend with the old deadwood?

Warren

waway

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 2 Empty Re: You showed me your's, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:33 pm

Warren. The wrinckles were made with a surgeons scalpel. Push the blade in at a slight angle and draw it down the wood. repeat this action but come in from the other side and a tiny v shaped piece of wood comes out. Then soften the edges with a wire brush.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:53 pm

will baddeley wrote:Warren. The wrinkles were made with a surgeons scalpel.

Will You fibber... this looks way to natural Suspect

I want to see the video of you doing it bounce

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:03 pm

some of the best stuff I've seen on here. Truly lovely. good work man.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:46 pm

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 2 SMILEY19

How very dare you sir! I've been riding Harley's for nigh on 15 years now, and I've never had one break down on me yet! The only Japanese bike I had, however, was a different story!

Hhhmm, not the first time I've had the 'ink for trees' offer, Will. Unfortunately for the previous requestee, I've given up tattooing due to a bad back and an increasing inability to cope with artificial light. However, if it's designs you want, that's a different story. PM me with some ideas of what you want, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Are you sure you'd want to part with one of these beautiful Elms for a few doodles?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Harleyrider wrote:You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 2 SMILEY19

How very dare you sir! I've been riding Harley's for nigh on 15 years now, and I've never had one break down on me yet! The only Japanese bike I had, however, was a different story!

Hhhmm, not the first time I've had the 'ink for trees' offer, Will. Unfortunately for the previous requestee, I've given up tattooing due to a bad back and an increasing inability to cope with artificial light. However, if it's designs you want, that's a different story. PM me with some ideas of what you want, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Are you sure you'd want to part with one of these beautiful Elms for a few doodles?

hey, if you want to get some good exercise for your back, you're in the best city in the uk for t'ai chi training. there's a chap there name of Wang Hiajun who is one of the best in the world - all china champion three times. That'll do wonders for your back. check him out. he a monster killing machine of a man.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:01 am

Tony. Not sure if your comment is a compliment, or a slur. If its a pat on the back then thanks, if not I'm more than willing to give you a few carving lessons.There is one person who can verify my work. I showed the tree to Kevin Willson, just after I carved it. The best compliment, I have ever had for this carving, was Danny Use. After selection, for Ginkgo, at the Spirit of bonsai, Danny did a critique on the trees he had chosen. When he got to mine he mentioned the lovely "natural deadwood" I looked at Kevin with a smile and Kev gave me a knowing wink. Its moments like that, that stay with you. This work is nearly 10 years old now and with the lateral cracks, looks more natural every day.

Last edited by will baddeley on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:19 am

Hi Will. Very, very beautiful work. Congratulations. Very Happy Best regards Pavel S.
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am

Tony. Here's a close up of some carving done on a Yew a couple of years ago, using the same method.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 2 Img_0439

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:03 am

will baddeley wrote:Here's a close up of some carving done on a Yew a couple of years ago, using the same method.

This is a magnificent, respect for your work. I pray more of these photo, very educational! study
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:57 am

Hi Will.... oh how the web can deliver the wrong message... I think the work is fantastic... really natural.. something hard to do on a deciduous tree. You have executed the technique well and belive me when I say that I will be copying you!

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks Tony I'm glad you cleared that one up. This method is very time consuming but well worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:54 pm

very masterful technique for making the most natural looking deadwood I have seen Very Happy

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks to Bobby, Pavel,Mario and Seth. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Harleyrider. I did'nt mean these three buy I have many more that will make equally good bonsai. Im sure you'd want to train it yourself anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsteve Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:33 pm

Will
what i really like is the natural colour , especially on decidious trees, but even on some conifers the grain and detail is lost under white artificial lime sulphur - nice one.
bigsteve
bigsteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Steve. I did try lime sulphur on the Elm years ago, looked bloody awful!!! Tried toning it down with a drop of black ink, and turned the whole thing a beautiful shade of battleship grey. Bloody awful again. Scraped the whole lot off and only treat with Ronseal clear wet rot wood hardener and this is the effect it gives.
Steve.... Have you a softer avatar... nearly scared me to death!!!!

Last edited by will baddeley on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Newton Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Great work, truly an inspiration!!!

Newt
Eric Newton
Eric Newton

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks Newt and to everyone who's posted. I never imagined this post would get such a responce. Thanks again.

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsteve Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:19 pm

will baddeley wrote:Steve. I did try lime sulphur on the Elm years ago, looked bloody awful!!! Tried toning it down with a drop of black ink, and turned the whole thing a beautiful shade of battleship grey. Bloody awful again. Scraped the whole lot off and only treat with Ronseal clear wet rot wood hardener and this is the effect it gives.
Steve.... Have you a softer avatar... nearly scared me to death!!!!
thanks i use it for halloween and it scares the cats from the garden
bigsteve
bigsteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:02 pm

I pity any criminals on your beat if thats how you look at them!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsteve Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:07 pm

will baddeley wrote:I pity any criminals on your beat if thats how you look at them!!!
thanks will
seriously though did they dig up easily?
bigsteve
bigsteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:48 am

Steve. You can dig Elms up quite easily. Dont be worried if their is'nt much root either. They make roots very quickly. Sometimes with a sucker, you'll find a few small roots and one enormous root, where it came from the mother tree. Dont cut the very large root back to the trunk on collection. Leave it longer to start with and pot it up. this large root will help the new tree get established. You can cut it away or make a feature out of it in the future.

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:57 am

Steve.
Will is right on.
As for roots and collecting elm. The winged elm we collect here in the Tulsa area have but a few stringy meager little feeder roots that grow among the duff & debris near the surface. We dig toward the tap root and chop it a few inches below the crown.

This is done in late winter (February). The trees are allowed to push new growth freely with no pruning or pinching until June. By June the nursery pots are full of new fine roots.

They are programed to survive.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next