Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

+57
Roger Snipes
moyogijohn
stavros
eric sanders
Dave Martin
Sheila Becker
ybonsai
santi
Viriato Oliveira
bontailo
Jesse
Neil Jaeger
Lone
robert hill
Brett Summers
Peter E.
fiona
kauaibonsai
LANCE
DreadyKGB
gman
Mike Jones
jonathan e
Bugeye
irene_b
Marija Hajdic
Andrija Zokic
wabashene
Paul B (Scotland)
Rob Kempinski
bonsai monkey
aRodas
Martin S
Jonny D
my nellie
Peter Adams
Fuzzy
Dustin Mann
Curtis
Kev Bailey
Nik Rozman
peter krebs
mehrdadchavosh
Eric Newton
Seth Ellwood
Pavel Slovák
bobby little
Mario Stefano
Justin Hervey
NeilDellinger
waway
Stone Monkey
Jim Doiron
Harleyrider
bigsteve
leonardo
Carolee
61 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Empty You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Here are just a few of my English Elm's The light was fading fast, so more to follow. This raft was collected from a farmers field boundary. It was probably a hedge at some point but the farmer had been cutting the whole lot to the ground for some time.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Img_0433

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Empty You showed me your's, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:59 pm

In the first photo you can make out the point where the farmer flailed the "hedge".You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Img_0434

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Empty You showed me your's, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:03 pm

The raft is about 24", 60cm long.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Img_0435

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:07 pm

This one was growing in a field ditch. It's in an over sized pot for bulking up purposes.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Img_0436

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:10 pm

My prefered front. height of tree is 7" above pot rim.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Img_0437

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:17 pm

My favorite Elm is this one. Collected from a building site in Ipswich. Unfortunately, for some reason a very slow grower, unlike the rest of my Elms. Height 50cmYou showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Img_0438

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Carolee Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Elms are one of my favorite trees (they are so forgiving). You have some wonderful trees here! I like seeing them without the leaves. Thanks for sharing!
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  leonardo Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:09 pm

Sharp eyed collection. I notice trees that have allot of deadwood, hollowed by reasons such as fire, borers, fungi (rot), mechanical (teeth), termites and so on grow slower then their counterparts of the same species when complete and healthy.

Ciao.....Leonardo

leonardo

Back to top Go down

Post  bigsteve Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:12 pm

lovely trees will
are they easy to lift? there are some near me and i may try for one
steve
bigsteve
bigsteve

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:12 pm

Niiiice Cool

Elm are my favourite tree by far. Alas, being from 'oop north' there aren't any for me to collect locally. I'm still trying to find someone with any surplus (bats eyelashes).
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Wow! Those are really great Will. I have wanted to do a raft for some time but have not found the material, now I know what to look for. Thanks for posting them.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Will

Really nice trees, really really nice trees Very Happy

Thanks for showing

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  waway Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 am

Will,

They are just STUNNING! Shocked I like the last tree love the deadwood. I would love to see them with their foliage on. Do you have pics of them with foliage?

Thanks for sharing its truly an inspiration for me to work hard and learn more about this hobby study . I still have a very very very long way to go.

When can I struck "gold"? scratch Oh Bonsai God pls shower me with your blessings! sunny

Best regards.

Warren

waway

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Empty Re: You showed me your's, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:41 am

Im sure I took photo's this summer but can't seem to find the right stick. Anyway, here's pic from a couple of years ago.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! 01511

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Empty Re: You showed me your's, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:25 am

Thanks Carolee. I agree, much better as a winter image.

Leonardo. For some reason this tree fills the pot with roots to bursting point but the branches only extend by a few cm????

Bigsteve. I have found Elms extremely easy to lift. Even if they come out of the ground with very little root, come spring, they take off like a rocket.

Harleyrider.If your ever in Suffolk, on your hog and you happen to break down [quite likely, so i've heard] Your more than welcome to take one of these beauties away with you. All I would ask for is one of your sleeve designs for a tat I have in mind.

Jim. I've seen some beautiful Elms on this forum just recently and i'm sure if you persevere, you'll find what you want.

Andy. Kind wordsand I have to add.. You makereally nice pots...Really really nice pots!!

Waway. This tree collapsed on me a year after collection. It was originally alive, all the way round but slowly died off. On inspection, I found a heavy infestation of vine weevil [ a root eating grub ] that had left me with two tiny roots. I was left with an inch [2.5cm ] of live vein. The tree was naturally hollow but the outside is carved. Makita and Dremmel and fine detail picked out with a scalpel.

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Empty Thanks for sharing Will!!!

Post  NeilDellinger Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:26 am

Will,
Wow, Thanks for sharing as promised. Would be great to go elm collecting together sometime.javascript:emoticonp('Very Happy')...who knows. All are great trees with loads of character. My personal favorite is the 2nd tree, the semi cascade.

Thank you again for sharing your work. I've been busy wiring this week...I can only hope my Oklahoma collected elms look this good in time! Elms are quickly becoming my favorite.

Take care & great work,
Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:28 am

Close up of the carving.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! 01310

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Empty Thanks for sharing Will!!!

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:40 am

Thanks Neil If you get the chance, go visit Colin Lewis. His knowledge of Elm ssp is second to none!!! His books were my only inspiration when I first discovered this wonderful species. There's no doubt your on the right path to some really great Elm bonsai. Happy days!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:09 am

Outstanding job Will.
Great finds and, regarding the last tree, a lesson in the creation of convincing dead-wood. It appears to be 100% nature's work.
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:28 am

Beautiful tree, I enjoy watching photo, thank you for showing them! Dance
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:30 am

will baddeley wrote:Close up of the carving.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! 01310

Excellent...definitely a natural look!
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 am

Will,
Knowing that our growing conditions differ, and not all elm spp maybe alike....do you defoliate at all, and when do you generally perform your wiring work?

Oklahoma has some wonderful old oaks that have developed great character and ramification from the hot sun and winds, they're great examples for modeling branchwork. Your trees are very similar. I've got a ways to go... but I can tell you that you've provided me with some terrific motivation for developing my trees.

In Oklahoma, as long as a tree is within a certain distance of the roadside it can be collected legally from ditches and fence lines. This is great because the cattle and horses find the elm & hackberry's (celtis) tastey in the spring. Also, our mild winters allow us to collect pretty much October through March.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:38 pm

Thanks Stefano. When I set about carving, I had in my mind, an image of a veteran tree. In the UK we have lots of trees like this, that have a lot of deadwood and are still thriving. Thanks for the compliment.

Neil. Yes I do leaf prune, in late spring. I wire at several times of year but usually in the spring, just before buds swell. I also wire after a leaf pruning and also just as leaves are turning in autumn, but no severe bending at this time or the tree might suffer with dieback. I have found that my Elms are still bulking up, even when they loose their leaves but only slightly. Sounds like you've got plenty of material to go out hunting!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mario Stefano Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:45 pm

will baddeley wrote:Thanks Stefano. When I set about carving, I had in my mind, an image of a veteran tree. In the UK we have lots of trees like this, that have a lot of deadwood and are still thriving. Thanks for the compliment.

I love dedwood on deciduous trees, although some of that fear, because of prejudice about endurance. Deciduous trees is able to make over dedwooda impressive kalus and it is impressive to me.
Mario Stefano
Mario Stefano

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:56 pm

Found a couple of old photos today. First is the semi cascade the summer after collection.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! Elm_210

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next