Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

+57
Roger Snipes
moyogijohn
stavros
eric sanders
Dave Martin
Sheila Becker
ybonsai
santi
Viriato Oliveira
bontailo
Jesse
Neil Jaeger
Lone
robert hill
Brett Summers
Peter E.
fiona
kauaibonsai
LANCE
DreadyKGB
gman
Mike Jones
jonathan e
Bugeye
irene_b
Marija Hajdic
Andrija Zokic
wabashene
Paul B (Scotland)
Rob Kempinski
bonsai monkey
aRodas
Martin S
Jonny D
my nellie
Peter Adams
Fuzzy
Dustin Mann
Curtis
Kev Bailey
Nik Rozman
peter krebs
mehrdadchavosh
Eric Newton
Seth Ellwood
Pavel Slovák
bobby little
Mario Stefano
Justin Hervey
NeilDellinger
waway
Stone Monkey
Jim Doiron
Harleyrider
bigsteve
leonardo
Carolee
61 posters

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:02 pm

will baddeley wrote:Hello Jun. WHHHY?...For the reasons above. It's also planted in a fibreglass pot and pretty ugly too. To buy a good pot for this group would cost well into the hundreds of pounds as well. Sad

You could make a cement pot that would be serviceable but still heavy. See the one I made in the post about moss. The pot is going on 10 years and developing a nice patina.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:
will baddeley wrote:Hello Jun. WHHHY?...For the reasons above. It's also planted in a fibreglass pot and pretty ugly too. To buy a good pot for this group would cost well into the hundreds of pounds as well. Sad

You could make a cement pot that would be serviceable but still heavy. See the one I made in the post about moss. The pot is going on 10 years and developing a nice patina.

I would probably do the same...
You could always find a nice but not too expensive pot,,,but a nice tree like that won't come again.
I you diced it it's gone,,,if you made a concrete pot that you don't like you can always make a new one again.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks Will
Feeding more and ensuring they don't dry out is the advice I had received and it sounds like you are heading down much the same track so I will continue implementing this.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:32 am

Yes Brett and looking forward to seeing yours posted.

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 Empty you showed me yours ill show you mine

Post  robert hill Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi Will, Bob Hill from Dragon Bonsai, well what can i say, as always from your comments and photos is a real indication of your love for this wonderful art form. I like to try my hand at a bit of carving work but nothing as impressive as what you have shown us here. I never seem to get down to the real nitty gritty detailing side of things, just the blocking out stage as they call it. After seeing what you have achieved here from your photos, really makes me want to have a go. The deadwood work on the Elm is so convincing, its fantastic, and like others, i also thought it was natural, which makes it a real credit to you. Well done and keep up the good work Bob H. Smile

robert hill

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 Empty you showed me yours ill show you mine

Post  Guest Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:34 pm

Hello Bob. Thankyou for your kind words and encouragement. I have had an idea in the back of my mind to do a carving tutorial with photos and post on the IBC. I have to order some carving tools to replace the ones lost or worn and then I will get to work. I will try and find a relatively boring piece of material that would be in everybody's price range.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lone Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Will - there are some very fine small trees - I understand why you want to split them up. One don't realy see every tree when in a group like this, I think they deserve a pot each - looking forward to seeing them when you have done it. cheers sunny cheers
Lone
Lone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:38 am

Hello Lone. Having spent some time "tidying" the group up today, I am having second thoughts. It is unusual but then they would be so as individuals. I have a while to think about it. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:05 am

will baddeley wrote:Hello Lone. Having spent some time "tidying" the group up today, I am having second thoughts. It is unusual but then they would be so as individuals. I have a while to think about it. Rolling Eyes

think ,think, think...That's the best thing to do for now.
chop, chop, chop...you're not in a hurry, right Will? there are so many shurb around your neighborhood that you can chop for now...hehehe.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 am

hello will. you're such a good carver, why not expose the trunk of your raft and and work the wood? bet you'll change your mind about cutting it into bitty pieces.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:56 am

Hello Sam. This composition is not a raft. it was originally two rafts along the lines of the raft at the beginning of this thread but they weren't very interesting. A year after collecting, I cut them into individuals, bought some Ketotsuchi and built the hills up, adding the trees as I went.

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:49 pm

will baddeley wrote:.... .... I have had an idea in the back of my mind to do a carving tutorial with photos and post on the IBC. .... ....
YEEESSSS!!! YEEESSSS!!!
Please, do Sir!!! bounce
Very much obliged in advance, Will!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:57 pm

my nellie wrote:
will baddeley wrote:.... .... I have had an idea in the back of my mind to do a carving tutorial with photos and post on the IBC. .... ....
YEEESSSS!!! YEEESSSS!!!
Please, do Sir!!! bounce
Very much obliged in advance, Will!

Yes for me too.
I'll be student number 1... teacher Will.
if Alexandra won't be the num 1.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:13 pm

No objection to be no. 2!
The important is the teacher! Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Will, your trees and carvings are amazing. I don't show my wife many pictures of bonsai, cause i feel that she just glances at them anyways. When i showed her your elm from the Nolanders she said "it reminds me of holloween, and a tree in a graveyard" i was thrilled. She never takes the time to look at pictures and your tree let her imagination run wild, and i thank you for that. I would be thrilled to view a carving tutorial by you as your carvings are so very real looking.

Thank you,

Neil
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Echo the three prior responses....yes please on the carving tutorial!
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 Empty You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:58 am

I think the best way to start a tutorial, is by starting a new thread. General discussion and off topic banter would be good. What I want is as many clear photos of problem areas as possible. I can then make a folder up and store the pics until I have the suitable material. Overly large roots, branches, trunk chops, Lowland decay, mountain weathering, deep hollowing, delicate refinement etc. I also hope that others will share their techniques as well, whether it be designed with machine or tearing. Fingers crossed. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:44 am

Carving Tutorial sounds great Very Happy

Took my time taking some Pics Will as I knew it was not an easy job in full leaf at the moment unless I just show a bunch of leaves Rolling Eyes
I put a few together as a forest to make care easier this season as like most my benches are over crowded. I will hopefully find some time to carve out the main trunk this Winter and see if I can make it work.
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 01610
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 01710
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 01910
This was a weird shaped root I collected from the edge of a river. I am trying to turn into a raft.
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 02210
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 02310
This would be the largest tree I have ever collected.
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 02510
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 02710
Maybe not to everyone's liking but I plan to style it like the penjing school SUZHOU Big large trunk with cloud like pads of foliage I think this will suit it well.
Something like this still shot from Lindsay's WOB
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 Sh10
This trunk is better than it looks, at least that's what I remember when I planted it deep in the pot with a tourniquet a couple of years ago anyway Laughing
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 02810
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 02910
This one was given to me on the day a very good friend died. He was of tall stature with lots of Character and that is what I see in this tree. Needs lots of improving though as it does not photograph well yet. It as all these trees would be so much fun to work over if the buggers would do more than vigorous growth in spring and then just stop Suspect
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 02010

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Excellent Elms Brett. They certainly look like English Elms to me and look extremely healthy and vigourous.

Have opened a thread in discussion and off topic banter(What a carve up) if anyone wants to post some pics for carving techniques and solutions.

Back to top Go down

Post  bontailo Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Celtis in last December.
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 9 2010_110
bontailo
bontailo

Back to top Go down

Post  Viriato Oliveira Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi botailo

Huauuuu...amazing celtis you have!

And what a beautiful color!

Congratulacion

Best regards

Viriato Oliveira
Viriato Oliveira
Viriato Oliveira

Back to top Go down

Post  santi Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:43 am

Hello Will, sorry I don't write English, espero que el traductor trabaje bien...
felicitaciones por tu colección, tienes unos olmos magnificos, yo tengo algunos que me recuerdan mucho a los tuyos, y algunos amigos de afición me dicen que estoy loco por recojer tantos al ver este post creo que no soy el unico loco Very Happy
Gracias por mostrarlos.
santi
santi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:51 pm

Hola Santi, y gracias. También estoy utilizando el traductor de Google. Sí, estoy loco por Olmos también. Los historiadores y botánicos han reconocido una estrecha relación genética entre los olmos en España y partes de Inglaterra y creo que los comerciantes y viajeros procedentes de España, podría haber comprado para su uso como forraje para los animales. Me encantaría ver a algunos de sus Olmos publicado aquí. Very Happy

Hello Santi and thanks. I am also using Google translator. Yes, I'm crazy for Elms too. Historians and botanists have recognized close genetic relationships among the Elms in Spain and parts of England and I think that traders and travelers from Spain, could have bought them for use as animal fodder. I would love to see some of your Elm trees posted here. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  santi Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:14 am

Hello Will, and IBC,
Hoy les haré fotos a algunos y se los enseñaré. Pero la mayor parte tienen solo un año desde que fueron recogidos y otros son de este 2011.
SALUDOS.
santi
santi

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:27 am

Hi Santi, great to 'see' you here. Hope your trees are strong... did you collect that wonderful Pine in the mountains?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next