Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

+57
Roger Snipes
moyogijohn
stavros
eric sanders
Dave Martin
Sheila Becker
ybonsai
santi
Viriato Oliveira
bontailo
Jesse
Neil Jaeger
Lone
robert hill
Brett Summers
Peter E.
fiona
kauaibonsai
LANCE
DreadyKGB
gman
Mike Jones
jonathan e
Bugeye
irene_b
Marija Hajdic
Andrija Zokic
wabashene
Paul B (Scotland)
Rob Kempinski
bonsai monkey
aRodas
Martin S
Jonny D
my nellie
Peter Adams
Fuzzy
Dustin Mann
Curtis
Kev Bailey
Nik Rozman
peter krebs
mehrdadchavosh
Eric Newton
Seth Ellwood
Pavel Slovák
bobby little
Mario Stefano
Justin Hervey
NeilDellinger
waway
Stone Monkey
Jim Doiron
Harleyrider
bigsteve
leonardo
Carolee
61 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks for the information Nick. Sounds like the same stuff. I'd heard that Paraloid was the answer to our deciduous deadwood prayers. Not so. Sad

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Marija Hajdic Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Nik Rozman wrote:
will baddeley wrote:So what's the story with this stuff. All I know is it has to be mixed with acetone. Does it have to be applied every year, what are the diutions..etc..etc..

I use it as it is. I don't mix it with anything. Basicly it's a normal wood-hardener.

it is immposible to use Parloid as it is, because it is in solid state (granules), so you have to melt it with somethig like toluene. I use solution of 15% Paraloid in a solution of xylene. I use xylene as solvent because it is one of the slower drying solvents and thus allows the greatest potential for penetration and protection. Acetone evaporates very quickly, so it is not good.
Marija Hajdic
Marija Hajdic

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:58 pm

will baddeley wrote:Thanks for the information Nick. Sounds like the same stuff. I'd heard that Paraloid was the answer to our deciduous deadwood prayers. Not so. Sad

Why not? I use it for that matter as well. Works fine.

Marija Hajdic wrote:it is immposible to use Parloid as it is, because it is in solid state (granules), so you have to melt it with somethig like toluene. I use solution of 15% Paraloid in a solution of xylene. I use xylene as solvent because it is one of the slower drying solvents and thus allows the greatest potential for penetration and protection. Acetone evaporates very quickly, so it is not good.

?! I her this for the first time...
I bought a substence called Paraloid B72, wich is a wood hardener and is a liquid. So, I don't know what you have.
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrija Zokic Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Nik Rozman wrote:
I bought a substence called Paraloid B72, wich is a wood hardener and is a liquid. So, I don't know what you have.

http://images.google.com/images?q=Paraloid+B72&ie=UTF-8&biw=1385&bih=830
Andrija Zokic
Andrija Zokic

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 pm

Thankyou all for the information.

Marija and Andrija, how long have you been using paraloid? I'm going to give it a try but I think constant wetting and drying, frost and summer heat will take it's toll.

Back to top Go down

Post  irene_b Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:27 pm

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:41 am

Thanks Irene. Looks like they,ve done some extensive tests. Might invest in some. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Picture taken today.Here comes Winter, all too soon. One solitary leaf left.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Img_0951

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Will, that bonsai is fantastic. When the bark at the top part matures with time, it really will be a breathtaking peace. I would love to study the details of the deadwood in real and close up.

Best regards
Morten Albek

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:04 pm

Will, Is the Wren stiil living in the trunk?

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Thankyou Morton. I'm hoping to get this Elm into Noelanders next year, you can have a close look then if your going?

Hello Bugeye. The tree your talking about was a Beech I think.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Oops, Sorry. Embarassed

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Empty virtual sketch

Post  jonathan e Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:45 am

Wow, great stuff. Great to see someone working on the tragically under-appreciated poetics of deciduous trees.
I (humbly) did some virtual pruning on the big deadwood one. Is it better a little rougher and more compact, with somewhat 'harsher' branching?
You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Will_e11

great stuff,
-jonathan

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Empty A couple Oklahoma elms in fall color

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:16 am

Will,
Here are a couple of elms you've seen before. Now coming into fall color.

First, a stout hollow trunk. I am planning to complete the carving this year. Last year I removed rotted wood and drilled drain holes. Its had one season of real training. I am thinking a deep square pot.

Both trees below were collected two years ago, and were planted in mica training pots this past spring. They'll stay in them another year.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 P1020984

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 P1040993

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Spooky+elm1

Before picture from 1 year ago & then today.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Tripple+trunk+2

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Twin+trunk+elm

Last edited by NeilDellinger on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left out photo)

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:19 am

You can see more of them at this link:
http://broken-arrow-bonsai.blogspot.com/

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:05 am

Thanks for the tip. I called in an order today. I questioned the sales rep about the chemical as it appears to have such great penetrating capability that I wondered if it would penetrate through the dead wood into the living xylem, cambium and perhaps phloem. Regardless I bought some and will give it a try. I'll let you know what I learn.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Empty A couple Oklahoma elms in fall color

Post  Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:53 am

Hello Neil. Your Elms are coming on very well. Hope they do well in your new garden.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:34 am

Just a couple of pics to update my thread on the development of my Elm.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Willse10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:36 am

Side view to show the deadwood.You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Img_1110

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:14 am

Stunning Will; the deadwood and ramification are a sight to behold. Looks nice on Dan's new site as well.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 am

Hi Will,

Looking even better than when I saw at JOB a year or so back and a major British tree imho.

Did you get a sniff of a prize or honorable mention at Noelanders?

I was going to post some Jan 2011 shots of my feeble efforts, but after seeing this, I don't think I'll bother

Very Happy

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks Mike. Compared to some other Elms at the show my ramification needs much improvement (are we ever happy?)
Hello Tim. I didn't expect to get a nomination. There were far better trees than mine there. It was honour enough being selected. "feeble efforts"...? I would love to see how your trees are progressing.

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:22 pm

will baddeley wrote: There were far better trees than mine there. It was honour enough being selected.

All very self effacing Will, but did you REALLY think there were a lot that were far better bearing in mind you started from scratch more or less.

Twisted Evil

I can't find a " s**t stirring" emoticon

Laughing

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:42 pm

I think good trees are good trees Tim. There were a number of trees from more humble backgrounds that certainly gave the more expensive yam a run for their money.
Just for you You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 7 Stirth10

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi Will, nice work and to me as with others I really like it.......a stunning tree.
Question – the movement of the upper trunk and branches suggest a feminine design but yet the square pot and table suggest masculine? Intentional?
Cheers
G
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next