Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge

5 posters

Go down

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge Empty Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge

Post  ericrobinson Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:23 pm

This Taxus was collected with several others for free from a hedge.

Another one here:
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9070-progression-taxus-collected-from-a-hedge?highlight=progression

Collected in spring of 2006, clay soil was removed from the root ball with a jet of water. Potted up in the a nursery container with free-draining Bonsai media.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 000_0011

The tree was allowed to grow unrestricted for 2 seasons.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge Taxus_18

In October 2010, the tree was trimmed back for a second time to force some backbudding. The tree was allowed to grow for two more seasons.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge Taxus_19

October 2012, The trunkline and branches were chosen. Deadwood was created on the right side.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 100_4917

In December 2012 I carved down the deadwood. I’ll let it age some before any lime sulfur treatment. The top stub in the apex will be cut back further in the spring.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 100_5015

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 100_5016

The tree turned slightly to the left. This front would feature more of the deadwood.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 100_5017

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 100_5018
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge Empty Re: Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge

Post  ericrobinson Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:57 am

1st pic is December 2012. 2nd pic is August 2013. The foliage masses are coming along.

I Re-potted it in July 2013 after the spring growth had hardened off.

I do the July re-potting with my Taxus that do NOT need much root reduction to get it into the bonsai pot. I wash the roots, trim them to fit the pot, re-pot it and place it in afternoon shade for 2-3 weeks. I've done this technique on five of my Taxus trees with no ill affects.(one featured here  https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9070-progression-taxus-collected-from-a-hedge?highlight=hedge)

My landscape-collected Taxus that need more significant root reduction will rest and grow for 2-3 years after being collected until showing signs of vigor. Then I reduce their roots and re-pot them in SPRING after the buds begin to swell.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 100_5010

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 100_5310
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge Empty Re: Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge

Post  leatherback Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:09 pm

A nice tree. One thing that would bother me, were it mine, is the long straight branch in the top. I would consider regrowing part to create some taper, or reducing the length by at least 50% (Perhaps through partial Jin)
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:15 pm

leatherback wrote:A nice tree. One thing that would bother me, were it mine, is the long straight branch in the top. I would consider regrowing part to create some taper, or reducing the length by at least 50% (Perhaps through partial Jin)
I am inclined to agree. Hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of making a virtual.
Lee.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 9q24
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:46 pm

Lee Brindley wrote:
leatherback wrote:A nice tree. One thing that would bother me, were it mine, is the long straight branch in the top. I would consider regrowing part to create some taper, or reducing the length by at least 50% (Perhaps through partial Jin)
I am inclined to agree. Hope you don't mind but I have taken the liberty of making a virtual.
Lee.

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge 9q24

Great virtual! More food for thought! thanks!
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge Empty taxus

Post  abcd Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:15 am

Smaller dead wood, and i think a straight pot would be in relation to the moyogi style
 Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge <a href= Progression - Taxus #2 Collected from a Hedge Taxus10" />
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendanR Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:57 am

I think it is time for an update on this tree?

BrendanR

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Brenda, this tree is still in the grow-out phase. I'll have to see about getting a recent pic. for now it's in winter storage. I'm thinking about selling most of my collection as I've had a change in life and it's harder to care for them.
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down