Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab

3 posters

Go down

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab Empty Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab

Post  ericrobinson Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:50 am

The 2 clumps of Taxus featured in this thread were from the same hedge row and were acquired for free in 2006.

(Other Taxus from this same hedge:
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9070-progression-taxus-collected-from-a-hedge?highlight=hedge
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t12193-progression-taxus-2-collected-from-a-hedge?highlight=hedge
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t14146-progression-taxus-3-collected-from-a-hedge#145899
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t14151-progression-taxus-4-collected-from-a-hedge#145907

The two clumps were combined on a rock slab with 2 other smaller single Taxus to create an 11-tree forest. The first picture below is the clump planted to the left on the slab and the 2nd & 3rd pictures below (with the largest trunk) are the clump on the right end of the slab. I left taller sacrifice tops on 2 of the trunks to build vigor before I chop back to build the apex of each tree.

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab Taxus_17

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab 100_5110

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab 100_5111

All 11 trees combined. "Ale 8" bottle for scale. Very Happy 

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab 100_5321

A rough virtual to outline the future canopy of the forest:

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab 100_5322
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab Empty Re: Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab

Post  ericrobinson Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm considering removing the small middle Taxus OR moving it to the left end of the grouping. Compare the picture above with the two below.

If I move it to the left I will slant it more to the left than it appears in the  2nd picture (below).

Which do you all like better?

Either way I think it will provide more variation and interest in the composition.

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab 100_5312

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab 100_5313
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab Empty Re: Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab

Post  GašperG Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Looks great with the small trunk at the end. I would just lean it a tad more to the left like you said to catch the whole movement.
Good choice to use the trees in a group. Smile
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:02 am

GašperG wrote:Looks great with the small trunk at the end. I would just lean it a tad more to the left like you said to catch the whole movement.
Good choice to use the trees in a group. Smile

Thanks for the kind words and input!
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression - Taxus #5 & #6 Collected from a Hedge, Combined on Slab Empty Tree in question.

Post  lennard Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:35 pm

I don't think you need that tree in question in the composition. If the smaller tree to the left is pulled left a little more, and with it growing out a bit, it would fulfill the same job as the extra tree.

Greatt progression, it will look nice one day.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:00 pm

lennard wrote:I don't think you need that tree in question in the composition. If the smaller tree to the left is pulled left a little more, and with it growing out a bit, it would fulfill the same job as the extra tree.

Greatt progression, it will look nice one day.

Lennard

Great point Lennard. It might be hard to hollow out a place in the root area on the left of the planting. I like your idea of leaning the small, left trunk to the left. I could do it with a guy wire pretty easily. Thanks for the thoughts.
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down