Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands

+2
Billy M. Rhodes
Hank Miller
6 posters

Go down

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Empty Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands

Post  Hank Miller Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 am

I have a number of shohin bonsai. Displaying them on stands which are generally only about 2-3 inches high has always bothered me. They are always too low and tend to get lost in exhibitions. For this reason I decided to make some pedestal stands. Cherry wood is easy to carve and darkens nicely with age. Enjoy. Hank

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Cpedsc10
7" pedestal stand

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Cpedmc10
12" pedestal stand

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Ccasmc11
11" cascade stand

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Cpedlc1015
15" cascade stand

Last edited by Hank Miller on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Empty Re: Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:44 am

I like your idea and your work. A couple of comments. Simple is almost always better in Bonsai display. With that in mind I like you first stand best. Looking at that stand, I would try to make all the pieces appear smaller to the eye. In the case of the flat surfaces they could be up to half the thickness, the support arm might be turned 90 degrees. Also the rule of thirds would suggest that the support arm be placed off center.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Empty Re: Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:46 pm

I wish I had any vestige of this kind of talent . . . however, I agree with Billy that the stands could have a bit less weight to them. And, I think I'd stain them to a dark cherry immediately. In a display, your eye would be pulled to the lighter-colored stands and away from the trees -- which you say you want to make more prominent than they usually are.

Good start.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:09 pm

good job, hank. I like them

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Thank you for your suggestions and comments. I really appreciate them. With regard to making the stands a bit lighter the problem with the smallest pedestal stand is the following: in order to dowel the base and top to the pedestal the minimum thickness must be about 3/8". The pedestal cannot simply be glued to the base and top. We have made a small walnut pedestal stand (4 1/2" high). It is very difficult to assemble because of the thickness of the base and top. Metal pins were used.

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Spedw110

One of the problems of looking at stands alone is much akin to looking at picture frames without having the painting present. Below are a few images of two of the stands with some of my trees on them ( I hope I am not violating any of the rules for posting both bonsai trees and stands here) for your consideration.

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Fn178110
ficus burtt-davyi

Hand carved cherry pedestal/cascade stands Fn178610
ficus burtt-davyi

Lastly I have tried to stain carved cherry objects and have generally not been pleased with the results. I use wiping stains and it is really difficult to apply them uniformly in these cases. I have also tried mixing stain into the finishing oil I use. Again I am not particularly pleased with the results although it better than the first alternative. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Hank
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Hank,

Staining wood is tricky since the part along the grain doesn't absorb as much as the end grains. I like Cherry darkening (deep rich reddish brow) naturally. You can help it by exposing to sunlight but that is still a long process. If you go that route, do not apply any UV protection on it.

Try this. http://www.ehow.com/how_6314524_use-solution-darken-cherry-lumber.html

If you apply boiled linseed oil (BLO), it will hasten the color change (compared to other finishes) too. Good luck!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks for the info. Hank
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  david g Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Fantastic friend. They have remained precious

saludos desde espaƱa

david g

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down