Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hand carved cherry stand

+3
John Brocklehurst
kora
Hank Miller
7 posters

Go down

hand carved cherry stand Empty hand carved cherry stand

Post  Hank Miller Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:30 am

A small hand carved cherry stand I recently made. Enjoy! Hank

hand carved cherry stand Carch110
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

hand carved cherry stand Empty Hand carved cherry stand

Post  kora Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:38 am

Very nice work! If I may suggest one thing; if you would have openings on the bottom instead of a solid line on the bottom, then you would give the stand visually an airier feel. Great carving!

kora

Back to top Go down

hand carved cherry stand Empty Re: hand carved cherry stand

Post  John Brocklehurst Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:02 am

Lovely job Hank
I'd like to see the colouring darker, but that's personal taste.
Very nice work

John

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:29 pm

always interesting with a piece of 'art", it can be subjective to it's appeal by different viewers, but no one can deny the craftsmanship and effort that went into creating it. Thanks for sharing
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:27 pm

good job.

lots of detail

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Thank you for your comments. I have another carved cherry stand with legs. It is the same height as the first stand but slightly larger. Cherry wood is light sensitive and with time will darken. Rather than stain the wood I prefer to wait. Hank

hand carved cherry stand Carchl10
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Beautiful stand and I love the look of the natural wood. Will it all darken at a similar rate and keep even? If it is light that darkens it, will the back darken at the same rate as the front? The portion below the bonsai pot?
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:33 am

Hank Miller wrote:Thank you for your comments. I have another carved cherry stand with legs. It is the same height as the first stand but slightly larger. Cherry wood is light sensitive and with time will darken. Rather than stain the wood I prefer to wait. Hank

hand carved cherry stand Carchl10

This one is great! Maybe you try a shape like this with darkbrown or darkred mordant (is it the correct word?)
This would add some more contrast when you put a tree on it infront of a white background and it would also look a bit more classical.

bw
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks again for the comments. When cherry ages it darkens and becomes a deep reddish brown colour. The darkening is not always uniform. Usually the contrast in the wood remains, it is just more subdued. Either side of the stands can be used as the front. Both the front and back are carved. Unless one side is always kept in the dark both sides should darken with age. The tables have a hand rubbed oil finish. In principle one can add a bit of stain to the oil to darken or to change the colour of the wood. I often do this on some of the other stands we make. In this case I prefer to wait as I prefer the darkening that comes with prolonged exposure to light. Hank
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down