Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collected elm update progress of a few trees

+8
Poink88
Seth Ellwood
bucknbonsai
Neil Brough
Todd Ellis
Smithy
chappy56
NeilDellinger
12 posters

Go down

Collected elm update progress of a few trees Empty Collected elm update progress of a few trees

Post  NeilDellinger Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:23 pm

I've posted a couple of these before. The progressions below are of winged elm; the best native deciduous species in North America! I hope you enjoy these native trees.

The first tree is new to me, collected 25 years ago by my friend in Tulsa Oklahoma. Still very wild, I'd like to keep it that way and find a nice round pot for it.
Collected elm update progress of a few trees Old+elm1
Collected elm update progress of a few trees Old+elm2
Collected elm update progress of a few trees Old+elm+base1

The second tree: Collected 3.5 years ago. I've been working it for 2 years now. This is perhaps my favorite tree of all my elms. I will be shopping for pots this winter.
Winter 2009
Collected elm update progress of a few trees Winged+elm+before1
Winter 2010
Collected elm update progress of a few trees P1050296

3 weeks ago
Collected elm update progress of a few trees Hollow4
Collected elm update progress of a few trees Hollow+bark1

The 3rd tree:
Winter 2009
Collected elm update progress of a few trees P1030034
Winter 2010
Collected elm update progress of a few trees P1050266

Winter 2011 Goes without saying it needs a trim and to be wired again Smile
Collected elm update progress of a few trees Twin+trunk1

Collected elm update progress of a few trees Twin+canopy

Fourth tree: Big Daddy
March 2010

Collected elm update progress of a few trees Yamadori+elm

February 2011 (9 months ago)

Collected elm update progress of a few trees P1060094

2 Weeks ago. Will be repotted next spring, I'll spend the year carving and filling in the apex and smaller branches. I love this tree.

Collected elm update progress of a few trees Big+elm+front

Collected elm update progress of a few trees Bigbark

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Collected elm update progress of a few trees Empty Re: Collected elm update progress of a few trees

Post  chappy56 Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Good stuff Neil.
The "Big Daddy" tree has kind of a soft spot for me.
Not sure my back will ever be the same. Razz
chappy56
chappy56

Back to top Go down

Collected elm update progress of a few trees Empty Re: Collected elm update progress of a few trees

Post  NeilDellinger Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:34 pm

Chappy,
I hear you! Not sure what I was thinking.....sorry to put you through all of that!

We need to plan to get together soon!

Happy Thanksgiving to you & Mary.

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Great trees Neil, i think the second one( your fav) is my favourite .
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:06 am

I like those wing elms ... lots of character! I cansee why they are your favorite.
I wonder if where I could find one?
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Collected elm update progress of a few trees Empty Collected elm update progress of a few trees

Post  Neil Brough Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:16 am

Great robust looking tree nice texture with the bark.

Neil Brough

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:33 am

Todd, there is a ton of em down here, yet they tend to be along the interstate and not in the cattle fields. And several farms I have permission on are loaded with cattle pruned privet yet not winged elm. Ill let you know if I find any hot spots. Im not sure how to get permission on collecting from interstate 81, do you have any ideas? alex
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:08 am

Nice to see these have done well My few collected chalk barks have made good progress as well. Big Daddy is
tasty Razz Twisted Evil

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Any chance you can post an update picture of Big Daddy?

I am stoked since my cedar elm (recently dug) share the general shape and form of Big Daddy! Very Happy
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamJonas Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Great trees.
AdamJonas
AdamJonas

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:56 pm

Poink,
The last photo of the "big daddy" is the most recent as it was wired just 8 weeks ago or so. Next year's photos after leaf drop will be a treat though. Judging from my past experience, the second year of regrowing new branches is very productive for ramification.

Bucknbonsai,
You should be all over those cattle pruned privets.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Very cool especially the second one.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 pm

neil,
the privets are crazy, there must be thousands of extremely ramified flat top style privets about 2.5feet tall and 3 feet wide. they basically look like umbrellas with a very tight dome. A lot have multiple trunks. I started tagging them then realized they are almost all identical. The only problem is that I think when they first grew, the cattle must not have been in the fields because the inside portions are relatively strait with all the ramification out on the tips. to cut them back past the long strait portions you would basically be removing all of the years of ramified pruning the cattle have done. The other thing, is that I can only keep up with a few privet bonsai, having a whole collection of them would be quite a task with trying to control their growth. Im considering planting a bunch of trident seedlings in the field and coming back in 10 years.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:02 am

Sounds like a good plan. I wonder if cattle like tridents? You could throw in some crab apples as well!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  crust Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:02 am

Just what specifically is a "winged elm"?

crust

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:18 am

Ulmus alata...Its a native species to the midwest, and southern region of North America. The received the common name because branches develop ridges along their length that resemble "corky" wings. If you look closely at some of the photos you'll see them.

They are impervious to being collected, they withstand drought, and sweltering heat. They ramify well, develop small leaves and short internodes.

I believe they are the best native deciduous tree in North America....not that I've worked with them all. But the winged elm is near the top of the list.

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:51 am

Neil,

Had I not known, I would think you are describing cedar elm. I wonder how closely related they are. FYI, some cedar elms also have winged branches or is it possible the ones I am seeing are hybrids?
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks for showing the progression of these beautiful trees!

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down