Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guy Guidry carving away

+14
Justin Hervey
marcus watts
gman
coh
Bob Pressler
my nellie
Rob Kempinski
BrianG
kcpoole
will baddeley
dick benbow
carlos
Russell Coker
hiram
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Guy Guidry carving away Empty Guy Guidry carving away

Post  hiram Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:48 am

Guy Guidry carving away 2011_b11

Here is Guy Guidry carving away at a Campeche. Guy was the headliner for the Bonsai Society of Miami 24th Annual Show and Sale. Amazing artist and human being. It is so inspiring to see someone that has been creating bonsai for over 28 years and still has passion for the art. The material was outstanding and the icing was working them with Guy for over four hours. Very Happy
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Guy Guidry carving away Empty Re: Guy Guidry carving away

Post  Russell Coker Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 am

I'd love to see the finished product.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 am

Outstanding material? Really?

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:13 am

It was two years ago I went down to visit Guy when he was selling his nursery and homestead. It's good to see him still at it and as active as ever. quite the artist and quite the character! Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:22 am

carlos wrote:Outstanding material? Really?

Hello Carlos. Lets see how the thread develops eh? I have just been through your posts and it would be great if you would show us some of your work.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  kcpoole Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 am

will baddeley wrote:

I have just been through your posts and it would be great if you would show us some of your work.

Does that matter?

I was thinking the same thing as Carlos. The specimen in the pic has nice thick trunk but very little branching that can be seen. What makes it so nice?

Ken

kcpoole

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianG Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:38 am

Do you have any more pics from the show you can post? I live about 15 minutes from Guy, he is a very cool person. I have Guy to thank for introducing me to this life altering art.
BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:44 am

kcpoole wrote: The specimen in the pic has nice thick trunk but very little branching that can be seen. What makes it so nice?

Agreed. And I'm wondering how the diagonal carving on the dead wood relates to the vertical live part... So, I'm still eager to see the end result.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:48 am

kcpoole wrote:
will baddeley wrote:

I have just been through your posts and it would be great if you would show us some of your work.

Does that matter?

I was thinking the same thing as Carlos. The specimen in the pic has nice thick trunk but very little branching that can be seen. What makes it so nice?

Ken

Does that matter? You might just want to have a look at his posts. Ok.. the word outstanding may be overzealous but clever carving and styling can work wonders. Does Campeche not bud back then Ken?
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  will baddeley Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:10 am

I would lke to see the finished result before passing judgement. Thats all.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:35 am

Guy looks like he's having fun. Don't like that he is not wearing safety glasses with an electric die gridner, and he does have a reputation for being medivaced from Florida demos Rolling Eyes

They said this was a workshop so the material quality might vary depending on all the trees at the workshop, but the tree posted doesn't look all that great. I'm a bit biased as in general I don't care much for compound leafed bonsai trees, and the campeche ranks up there as one of the most difficult trees to make look decent. The handling of the chop is usually a big problem but in this photo Guy has done the right thing and induced lots of taper via carving. The lack of branches is not a problem for a tropical tree that buds back vigorously and remember there's no such thin as an instant bonsai- even carving needs time to age. One can't expect the visiting artist at a workshop to produce a finished carving job, that is up to the individual as the time allowed among the various attendees prohibits the visiting artists from doing all the work (or even some of the work).

PS Campeche heart wood has a very beautiful dark red and orange color.

PPS Guy has a web page for his bonsai business for those not aware. All of his trees are for sale.
http://www.bonsainorthshore.com/www.bonsainorthshore.com/BONSAI_NORTHSHORE_Nursery.html
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:37 am

BrianG wrote:Do you have any more pics from the show you can post? I live about 15 minutes from Guy, he is a very cool person. I have Guy to thank for introducing me to this life altering art.

Brian, love your avatar. It's a new style - "Root over state" NICE ThumbsUp
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:03 am

Russell Coker wrote:... ... And I'm wondering how the diagonal carving on the dead wood relates to the vertical live part... ....
Thank you Russell for posting this wonder which is also mine but I was hesitating to post because.... what do I beginner know about carving style.... ?
So I look forward to reading the reply...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:Guy looks like he's having fun. Don't like that he is not wearing safety glasses with an electric die gridner, and he does have a reputation for being medivaced from Florida demos Rolling Eyes

They said this was a workshop so the material quality might vary depending on all the trees at the workshop, but the tree posted doesn't look all that great. I'm a bit biased as in general I don't care much for compound leafed bonsai trees, and the campeche ranks up there as one of the most difficult trees to make look decent. The handling of the chop is usually a big problem but in this photo Guy has done the right thing and induced lots of taper via carving. The lack of branches is not a problem for a tropical tree that buds back vigorously and remember there's no such thin as an instant bonsai- even carving needs time to age. One can't expect the visiting artist at a workshop to produce a finished carving job, that is up to the individual as the time allowed among the various attendees prohibits the visiting artists from doing all the work (or even some of the work).

PS Campeche heart wood has a very beautiful dark red and orange color.

PPS Guy has a web page for his bonsai business for those not aware. All of his trees are for sale.
http://www.bonsainorthshore.com/www.bonsainorthshore.com/BONSAI_NORTHSHORE_Nursery.html

Rob this link doesn't work can you repost?
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianG Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:32 pm

by Rob Kempinski on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:37 pm

BrianG wrote:
Do you have any more pics from the show you can post? I live about 15 minutes from Guy, he is a very cool person. I have Guy to thank for introducing me to this life altering art.

Brian, love your avatar. It's a new style - "Root over state" NICE

Rob, Thanks my club asked me to come up with a design for a t-shirt for the Louisiana Day of Bonsai we'er hosting in a couple of weeks. Very Happy
BrianG
BrianG

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:20 pm

Tough to really evaluate the quality of the tree material from that one photo, but I can't get past the lack of eye protection when doing that kind of work. Accident waiting to happen...

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:35 pm

Bob Pressler wrote:
Rob Kempinski wrote:

Rob this link doesn't work can you repost?

Sorry about that. His web address is
www.bonsainorthshore.com

If that doesn't work try Googling "Bonsai Northsore Guy Guidry"
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Guy Guidry carving away Empty Safety in Bonsai

Post  gman Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Now back to trees… Very Happy
Cheers G

Last edited by gman on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:35 pm

the initial post clearly says "enjoyed working them", so even though there is only one picture the chances are there was a nice selection of outstanding material - shame that a simple innocent post got knocked so quickly ! to be honest for a demo on carving the material just needs to be wood and big enough to carve a load away and still be left with something to look at - so even the one in the pic is perfect.

i think you could only comment about protective clothing if you were at the demo though, the Guy may have recommended eye protection etc to the participants - personally i hate being restricted while working so chose only to where a face shield when using the sand blaster, but each person has to decide for themselves - otherwise it will be compulsory respirators for lime sulphar next Very Happy
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:34 am

Marcus, you seem to be the man to talk to about sandblasting... I am assuming that you refer to a hand-held blaster(what I'm after), which one do you use and what are your recommended specs.
Much appreciated - Justin
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  hiram Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:24 pm

The reason I posted this pictures was to show you the workshop. Guy was wearing his eye protection all along but for the picture I asked him to remove it so people can see the passion and how focus he was. The material is collected and that's where the creativity comes in. It is nice to get all the branches to grow where you would like them, but Mother Nature does not work that way. These are awesome material and very old. In 3 1/2" years I have honed my techniques using these trees and thinking way beyond outside the box. Guy did a tremendous job and with the grinder he took it to the next level. There are a great deal of bonsai artist that do not know what the hell to do with this material.
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:48 pm

hiram wrote:Guy did a tremendous job and with the grinder he took it to the next level. There are a great deal of bonsai artist that do not know what the hell to do with this material.

And I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about that material. No problems there. So when can we see the end results?
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Guy Guidry carving away Empty Guy's diegrinder

Post  mike page Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:14 am

I'm glad to see that Guy has a good grip on my favorite diegrinder. BOSCH!
I bought one many years ago. Put a huge amount of time on it. Still runs perfectly. No maintenance required. Not even motor brush replacement. A quality tool is always a joy to use! Very Happy
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:30 am

hiram wrote:The reason I posted this pictures was to show you the workshop. Guy was wearing his eye protection all along but for the picture I asked him to remove it so people can see the passion and how focus he was. The material is collected and that's where the creativity comes in. It is nice to get all the branches to grow where you would like them, but Mother Nature does not work that way... There are a great deal of bonsai artist that do not know what the hell to do with this material.

Well, coming from a place in which this material is quite common, I have to admit they are really not the best trees to work with. In nature, at least in my neck of the woods, these trees exhibit fluted trunks and no dead wood. They grow in coastal swamps that are under water for quite a few months throughout the year. Even in the dry season, the freatic level makes it possible for the area to remain quite humid. Like bald cypress, the trees exhibit swollen basal flare as a primary characteristic.

Most of the examples I have seen have yet to emulate their true nature. Because dead portions are not commonplace ( at least in Puerto Rico), excessive carving looks anomalous to me.

As far as Nature goes and the fact that branches do not appear in the "right places", it is up to the skill of he artist to place one there!!! These lend themselves to grafting.

I only have one of these in my collection and I have managed to close all wounds to the point that there is no longer a trunk chop. As I said before, because these grow in coastal swamps, they love water. The main reason behind the fact that most "collected" trees of these species have serious sap withdrawal after extraction is lack of water. Almost 100% of the Haematoxylon trees that have been exported to Florida have at least half of the trunk dead.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  nickalpin Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:52 am

I was at a Guy Guidry cypress workshop today at Wigert's Bonsai Nursery. I believe the owner of the campeche pictured earlier in the thread brought the tree with him to the workshop to show progress. It has had quite a bit of growth since the picture was taken (if that was indeed the same tree).

nickalpin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next