Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Animal stone

4 posters

Go down

Animal stone Empty Animal stone

Post  Tom Simonyi Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:26 pm

I have had various opinions on this one including: buffalo, fish, hippopotamus, and pig....your views are welcome...the stone was a gift from a geologist friend of mine.

Regards,
TomAnimal stone Animal10
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Animal stone Empty Re: Animal stone

Post  Alan Walker Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:52 am

Tom: Do you know what kind of stone this is? I mean geologically.
I have a stone, collected by Harry Hirao, which I got in California a few years ago which always reminded me of a buffalo, too. I believe it is green jasper.
[img]Animal stone Buffal10[/img]
Alan Walker
Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi, Alan:

I will check with my friend to answer your question...your stone is indeed reminiscent of a buffalo...thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Heven Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:53 am

Tom Simonyi wrote:I have had various opinions on this one including: buffalo, fish, hippopotamus, and pig....your views are welcome...the stone was a gift from a geologist friend of mine.

Regards,
TomAnimal stone Animal10

I think it seems like a buffalo more:)
Heven
Heven

Back to top Go down

Post  Heven Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:55 am

Alan Walker wrote:Tom: Do you know what kind of stone this is? I mean geologically.
I have a stone, collected by Harry Hirao, which I got in California a few years ago which always reminded me of a buffalo, too. I believe it is green jasper.
[img]Animal stone Buffal10[/img]

It's too bad, the picture is not clear:(
Heven
Heven

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi, Alan:

Here is the reply you requested:

"The stone is limestone from the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. It is likely a formation called the Tonoloway Limestone and has weathered features common to subsurface meteoric water dissolution of the carbonate. This is the same type of erosion that occurs in Karst Terrain where caves are formed and the deep linear features are fractures that were filled with calcite that dissolve faster than the fine grained limestone."

Regards,
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Walker Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:17 am

Thanks, Tom. I know that the geology is not that interesting to some, but I really enjoy learning about the types of stones and how they are formed and where they are likely to be found.
Alan Walker
Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonid Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:19 am

For my opinion this stone more like to some dinosaur’s head … Anyway, this stone interesting enough sample of Keischo-Seki.
Leonid
Leonid

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Alan: You are most welcome, and I too, enjoy hearing about the geologic history.

Leonid: Thanks for your input...I am not familiar with the classification you referred to, but I will certainly research it...thanks for providing me with that opportunity.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down