Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression

+45
AdamJonas
magoca
Bonzi
Nigel Parke
Neli
Nemphis
amazonida
leatherback
Speakergod
BonsaiJim
blackrose
dorothy7774
bingregory
davidlpf
bucknbonsai
rock
Gary Swiech
marcus watts
coh
Lnatural
John Quinn
Jesse
guy ward
pongsatorn.k
Seth Ellwood
Ryan
snobird
Mike Jones
rexman
ogi uyehara
ogie
GerhardGerber
mokster
slowly but surely
Pavel Slovák
Albert Ward
Russell Coker
hirow08
Mr. Moody
moyogijohn
littleart-fx
Jim McIntyre
fiona
Ian Young
Storm
49 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 3 Empty Re: Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression

Post  rock Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:19 am

coh wrote:Wow, great progression! Somehow I must have missed this thread previously. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

I like that lower left branch...normally not a fan of them but it seems to work here. To me the tree looks very unbalanced without it. Maybe it could be shortened some, though?

Chris
Agree on both points,

We all need to get out the camera more, really is a good teaching tool

Well done David
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 3 Empty Re: Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression

Post  Guest Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Im confused in your second to last photo it looks like you root pruned it while it was in full leaf?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:06 pm

2nd to last photo of your original post is what I meant
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Did you repot and cut the roots while there are lots of leaves on the tree? Did that make the tree dry out or did you cut leaves off at the same time?
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 3 Empty ulmus parvifolia 5 years progression

Post  moyogijohn Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Sorry But i still like the bottom branch left on the tree,,,to me it is more balenced...when it fills in it will be good..maybe you can wire those bottom branches up some to fill in the pad some more...i like it take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:41 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  davidlpf Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Hello David:

You have done a great work with this elm. But in my humble opinion, it would be better if the firsts branches weren't so flat. And I belive that if you put the nebari under the ground line for few seasons, maybe the roots would fuse better.

Any way, It is an outstanding tree and has amazing leaves colour. It is one of the best chinese elms that you can find on the web.

Many thanks for sharing

Greetings from Spain
David López

davidlpf

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  bingregory Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 am

What a spectacular progression! I gasped when I saw you girdle the trunk. Thanks for posting.
bingregory
bingregory

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:15 pm

Nice work! The branches will fill out with upgrowth soon. The lower than horizontal branches will "level out" in time, I am sure. Great progression.

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:30 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:33 pm

David Cortizas wrote:Thank you so much Dorothy. By the way.... I´m in love with your lentiscus! Is the best lentiscus I´ve ever seen.

Now the elm growing!

Looking good, David.

On a sidenote, I think you may mixing me up with someone else. I do not have a Pistaccio, sorry. I own some red shoes though. Very Happy

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Yes, that is a stunning tree indeed!

-Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  guy ward Sun May 13, 2012 12:02 am

do you have plans to reduce the number of surface roots--or are you fusing them

guy ward

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  blackrose Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Great!!!
Thank for share:-*

blackrose

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiJim Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:32 pm

David Cortizas wrote:You gasped when you saw it I gasped when I did it!

Thank you so much!

You did it right!

If you take the pain early you aren't kicking yourself 10 years later when you have a beautiful tree with lousy roots, then you have to start over!
BonsaiJim
BonsaiJim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next