Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulmus parvifolia grove-6 years

5 posters

Go down

Ulmus parvifolia grove-6 years Empty Ulmus parvifolia grove-6 years

Post  Gary Swiech Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:57 pm

I took a pic of this tree and thought I'd post it. I grew them from seed 6 years ago from a tree at the University of WI Arboretum.

Ulmus parvifolia grove-6 years Chines10
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Ulmus parvifolia grove-6 years Empty Ulmus parvifolia grove

Post  bonsaisr Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Very convincing and natural. Only suggestion is when you repot them, the thickest trunk should be the one closest to the center of the pot.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Ulmus parvifolia grove-6 years Empty Re: Ulmus parvifolia grove-6 years

Post  Jake16 Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:20 pm

nice tree, i get bored of very stylized tress. Yours is a nice break from that. Personally I think that if you able to i would repot in a shallower pot, maybe glazed but idk
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm

this is the start of a great planting..............absolutely no need to disturb the trees to get the thick one in the middle etc just get another group of seedlings sorted out and plant them on the left. Absolutely definitely a shallower oval pot tho - but no rush, and a bit shorter would be good, or at least no taller Very Happy

Very Happy happy seed sowing !
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:11 am

Very convincing and natural. Only suggestion is when you repot them, the thickest trunk should be the one closest to the center of the pot.
Iris

This one is what it is. There is no should on this grouping.

I germinated hundreds of these seedings and had them in a bucket of water and I was root pruning them, when they were 2 yr old seedlings, I kept some but planted most of them out.

These were the cream of the crop. The tree I obtained them from was in fall color and was very purple here in WI so I knew they were hardy.

I had 5 seedlings left that I thought would look well together and I did what I call a hand-clasped planting.

I just put them in my hand bare root, and arranged the roots so they would fit together well, checked so they were evenly not evenly spaced and

put them in a pot.

I have groves that I did 30 yrs. ago where I always followed the rules and now they all look pretty much the same!

This ones gonna be different from the rest. Actually, It looks good from the back also.

It grew up in a 6", 15.24cm shallow light blueish turquoise bag pot that I've had many years. I switched it two a larger container it get a little more growth.

Who knows, maybe I'll have some time in the spring to rearrange the grove, it's been 2 years since it's last repotting so it's due.

Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:57 am

Jake16 wrote:nice tree, i get bored of very stylized tress.

Me too. Very Happy
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I think as the years go by, it will turn into a nice grove.

I was always intrigued by the Chinese elm grove in John Naka's Vol.#1 picture plate 14. Then in Volume#2 he gives it a much needed
pruning.

This one may go that route.

happy seed sowing !

Which reminds me, it's seed picking time in Madison. My son is finishing school there so a visit is in order!

Last edited by Gary Swiech on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : picture plate 14 not 15)
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down