Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression

+10
marie1uk
Orion
rickyricardo
AlainK
ferdy-san
Rob Kempinski
JimLewis
coh
Jesse
marcus watts
14 posters

Go down

60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression Empty 60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression

Post  Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:13 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression Empty Re: 60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression

Post  marcus watts Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:09 pm

hi,

very good, what an improvement from the mass produced ugly elm to a compact raised root style tree - the 3 months you spent in Japan is showing through Very Happy

great trees to work with too, under rated and fast to ramify

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression Empty Re: 60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression

Post  Jesse Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Very cool progression series. For a little bit I had no idea where this tree was going. Fun to see where it is now though. I totally agree with Marcus's assessment.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Really neat progression...at first I didn't realize that this was the same tree.

Looks like you've made some significant changes to the root system in the last few images...I liked this view of the roots best:

60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression Neagar35
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Very interesting progression. Did some of those steps lead to dead ends and a changed mind? It kinda seems they might have, since the results are so radically different from the beginning. The result works, though.

This is just my own pet peeve about broadleafed bonsai in general, but I'd much rather see it without the pointy top.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Great photo progression. Must take a lot of patience and time to document so many growing phases.
The way you have doubled over the trunk near the roots seems to me that you need a new front. Looking at the doubled over portion head on gives the tree the appearance of poor reverse taper (at least in the photograph) when in actually the trunk has a very sinuous movement that a view for probably the right hand side would expose. I do like the radical chop however. Always fun to see.

PS what kind of pot is it?

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  ferdy-san Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:52 pm

Surprise, Ulmus turns to plasticine, plasticine turns in to bonsai, you have got to be a magician, hat of to you my friend. Very Happy

ferdy-san

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Olà David,

Muchas gracias, merci beaucoup, thank you very much for sharing this very personal story.

I think you've done a great job, kudos on you!

To me, this is the real spirit of bonsai, rather than buying expensive imported trees or "yamadori" that someone will tend for you until you display them and win a prize.

OK, I've had a couple of beers and might sound a tad too lyrical, but frankly, I think that this is the true spirit of bonsai, aye. Cool

AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:38 pm

Bof...

Don't really like bonsai olive trees, never seen one that looked natural : most of them are modeled on junipers. why not, they look like beautiful bonsai Shocked

Back to the original tree, the one worth a critique, with a few wires :

60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression Neagar10
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 am

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  rickyricardo Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:35 pm

David, i like your tree and the progress you have achieved. Can you tell me how much time between first and last picture? Also what zone are you in?

thanks....rick

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:02 am

That's one of the coolest transformations I've seen. You've brought out an incredible degree of character with it. Thanks for posting the progress.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  marie1uk Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm

I name this tree.... Arachnelmia

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:21 am

I love what you have done with this tree! I like the blue pot much better than the current pot. This will certainly be a nice bonsai on its own in a few years; or an awesome companion tree. ThumbsUp
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression Empty ulmus neagari

Post  abcd Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:58 am

an other possibility
[img]60€ Ulmus parvifolia neagari progression Neagar10[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  mikebonsai Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:17 am

What an amazing transformation from ugly to beautifully artistic! Good job!

mikebonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Bonsai tree + bonsai dog = Cool! Laughing

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down