Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acer Campestre, yamadori

+31
leatherback
Dreamcast
Richard S
Todd Ellis
abcd
fiona
marcus watts
AlainK
Reiner K
yamasuri
Gary Swiech
Poink88
Seth Ellwood
gope
Paul B (Scotland)
pongsatorn.k
my nellie
ogie
ybonsai
Khaimraj Seepersad
Lone
Tom Benda
moyogijohn
Loke Emil
Marija Hajdic
Ravi Kiran
Rob Kempinski
sunip
p@scal
handy mick
landerloos
35 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Empty Re: Acer Campestre, yamadori

Post  Tom Benda Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Superb material, lovely bark - for its dividing into small sheets.
Pears bud back very very well. There are lots of buds on my pear´s old parts.
It´s very satisfactory work, when there´s so great start!

Tom Benda

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:30 pm

little update....

The two acer campestre is doing well, sapflow all arround is secured, it will be possible to make nice trees Smile

The hawthornes is doing well, and I expect, they will end up having buds, where needed, to make a nice tree.

The pear has the last 10 days pushed out hundreds of small roots from the surface, and ower...I expect it has been bussy underground too. Also is it tryeing to cover the two cuts with callus...I can see buds is forming between the deep scaly bark, so I am confident.

The very big acer, is a pseudoplatanus......the sapflow is secured, and buds moves all arround. I expect, I can keep the internodes short with heavy internodesshorteningpruningtecknic......I find the tree very interesting, and it will become a beatifull bonsai in a few years.....Wonder what John Pitt will say, when I order an "ancient" pot with rims and corners for the tree......the black pot the tree is in now, is 60 cm. wide, and some of the neabari is covered for now. Very Happy

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Ar_for10

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Ar_bag10

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Ar_sid10

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Ar_sid11

Kind regards Yvonne

firsst photo is the front, then the back, and after the two sides

Last edited by Yvonne Graubaek on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hhhhh)

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Yvonne,

I like the view of the last picture for a front, nice subtle hole, the front on picture one, is for me to threatning.
In the first foto I get the feeling the tree could attack me any minute.

Kind regards
your friend Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 pm

Dont worry Peter

The tree will not attac you Smile.
Because of how the branches is placed, is it not possible to take an another front...and I would not want another.
Pictures does only show one dimension, and does not show the interesting old wood inside the hole. When the new leader is created, and the branches is pulled a little dawn, will the tree be very nice.

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 am

A little update again

The very big acer, came with two aggresive fungus....one for the leaves, and one for the trunk...it is still alive, but I removed it far away from my garden...I have not much hope for it. But I still give the care I can.

I have carved one of the campestre...it is doing very well, and still, it has a lot of new bud activity, I see it grow from hour to hour. With the stubs removed, can I enjoy the growth. I can not decide the front....so maybe next winter, when there is no leaves, will I ask for your opinion.
I dared carve the tree, as I found it potbound...this is why I love to start my trres in small pots.

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Img_6312

The pear, was growing strong in the two tops, and hardly anywre else. So I decided the front, based on the shots, and carwed it for now. The pot is full of white roots, so I expect it will shoot again, and this time, in the right places.

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Img_6313

This huge craetegus, has found the front, and has also been carwed, the lower branches has been vired, with the tips up, the tips will be needed to make sacrificebranches, as the tree is not proper ballanched, if the lower branches has the same thicknes, as the upper branches...the lower branches has to be STRONG.
Tomorrow will I carwe the top, and cut back the branches in the top (far back)....already now, is only selected growth kept. This will give the lower branches a boost.

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Img_6314

You may think, I work much too fast on my trees, but I never work on weak material. After middsummer, will this work be too late for me, for this year.
I show you a craetegus, who I dug up in 08...it is now growing free with the sacrificebranches....the 3 lower branches is becomming fat, and the top stopped/controled, this tree is in ballance for now.
It is importent to make the sacrificebranches already the first year, as it may not shoot longshots from the middle of the branch the next year....

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Img_6315

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  gope Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Yvonne, they are all beautiful materials. I'm also very impressed by your brave approach. Personally I'd never risk any work with such great trunks the same year they were collected. Three years ago I killed (I presume)a very similar crataegus after cutting back all upper shots, tree simply started to die back from the top, right where the new growth was cut back. I am guessing the tree wasn't recovered fully but anyway after that disaster I will not repeat such an impatient practice.

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi Gope

I understand....maybe it is better to wait to next year with the top......but the tree is growing very strong, and is not moving in the pot. Thanks for your advise, I will think about it. Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Empty acer campestre yamadori

Post  moyogijohn Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Yvonne,,my opion all the trees are looking good!!! such trunks you have to work with !!! enjoy them take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi Moyogijohn

I am happy, you like my trees....yes, they are pretty big. The trunkwide on the trees in the shown front, is on the Campestre is 10.5 cm....the Pear 21cm...and the Craetegus 18 cm. It is the biggest trees, I ever worked with, and no doubt, I am going to collect a few, next year again.
Today I bought a brulee burner for the pears carwing.....I am new to carwings, and I dont know if I am completely happy, about this work...I may have to seak help. Smile
I still have 3 big trees to work on, but I will take it a bit easy the next few days ( spit out sawdust) Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:16 pm

Hello Yvonne. The trees are looking strong and promising. I am surprised you are working on them so quickly after collection though. I would also suggest you practice your carving on lesser material. These are much too good to make mistakes on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi Will

you are right, the material is too good for a beginner... I also gave it a thought, and is keeping the last campestre, and the huge Craetegus for you, the rumour say you are going back to Denmark Smile ....I am used to work on small trees, and maybe it is normal to wait longer with theese big ones. I am learning.

I cut off 1.9 kilo of the top of the big Craetegus, and has a very nice suggestion for the design....look forward to show it to you.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:10 pm

Hello Yvonne. Yes I'll be back in Denmark 2 times next year. Bonsai Nan Kai and Ole's Summer camp. It would be a pleasure to guide you with the deadwood next year. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Will

Cant wait...oops Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:54 am

Hi Friends

This is a an update of the only group of hawthorns I kept..you can find it on page 3....
There are some bumps who needs to be taken away ower time, and the straight thin stick with a vire, will be cut back to the black line, and a bud painted red will be kept for further developement. There will still be more adjustment to be made, and some carvings along the road.

Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Img_0614

I hope to end up with a group of " natural" hawthorn I can find arround in my area, the tallest tree is 48 cm tall.
The following winter am I going to take a look at the roots...it looks like the surfaceroots are so strong now, it is safe to loose the connecting taproot, and place the tree in a shallow pot....Or I may just wait one more year , I will wait and see.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:56 am

Live the pear and craetegus good eye collecting these.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:21 am

Hi Seth

Thanks for asking Smile

I lost the huge acer psoudoplatanus on page 4, this was really sad, the tree could have been awesome.
I also lost the hawthorn on page 5, it could also have been a nice tree in the future, sad.

The rest of the trees is comming arround very well, the two campestre has all the woodwork done, a new taper is on the way. the lowest branches is now 2 years old, and the upper branches is 1...next year will I grow the the 2/3 lowest branches freely again, and start the upper branches all ower again, exept for the chosen top, it will grow in its third year.

Right now are they both looking like big wild bushes, in large boxes...you have to know there is a controled bonsai inside the bush.

The curvey hawthorn is doing the same as the campestres...but here is the trunk still visibel ( too big), and the rest of the woodwork will be done during the winter....like the two other trees, am I not interested in visibel deadwood on this tree, I only want to smooth it out on the backsides...The hawthorn has another front now...Lately am I not really confident I picked the right front, and during the winter will I see if it a good decision to alter the front. Then will I have to make something pretty out of the large deadwood from the first taper...I already have a nice idea...New shots on the "old" front in the spring, will decide If I chance the front.

The pear is awesome, growing like it was paid to do it....It gave me some headace, as the tree only shot from the top, and it was imposible to bend the branches, after 15 cm. was they still stiff, and unbentable.

I cut back the top, and hang the tree upside dawn, then it began to shoot longer dawn the trunk, as it now was the top....yesterday did I carve tome of the dead top, so that the callus can begin to crawl up the deadwood...During the winter will I make something nice (hopefully) out of the top, and the deadwood in the buttom, wich actully is a burl, will also have something done...my aim is to protect a nice part of the wood straight under the bark here.
The tree has a far better front now, better comming out of the soil, and the top is gently towards the viewer.
The branches is hanging in a gentle curve...next year will it be grown the right way...I expect..and a new top will be growing freely as long as it takes.

Kind regards Yvonne

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:21 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote: ... ...I lost the huge acer psoudoplatanus on page 4, this was really sad, the tree could have been awesome.
I also lost the hawthorn on page 5, it could also have been a nice tree in the future, sad... ...
I feel so sorry for the losses... I myself know this feeling, Yvonne.
Do you have any idea what may have gone wrong with those two trees?
I am interested to know....

Thank you.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Alexandra

The acer came with two diffrent fungus, one for wood, and one for the leaves...Too much for the big tree.

The hawthorn had a poor root, and the tree was almost knoked out of the pot, at a very bad time, the tree never recovered from this.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Yvonne,

Not sure how I missed this thread but WOW!!! you (+hubby & son) have been busy!!! Dance

I really like your collected trees and most of them have great bonsai potential. Please keep us posted.

(and I thought you only do small trees) Very Happy
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:09 am

(and I thought you only do small trees) ha-ha Dario...I fooled you Smile

I have a few photos to show, taken today....

The curvey hawthorn with the current front
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Img_0617

The hawthorn from the Will Baddeley workshop is back in growing, doing well.....The arrow show a branch that will be replaced next year, with one growing more on the backside ( is already started up)...the branch does not have a nice curve, and is almost right ower the 3th. branch.
The 3 next topbranches will be replaced 2 more times, to keep them thinner...the top branch will be left to grow freely ( almost)...After I see how it will callus in the top, will a little more carving be done.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Img_0618

This is a photo of the prepared top on the paere, done while it was hanging upside dawn. The carving is far from finished..I will do it during the winter, when the tree it turned the right way again. The ugly arrow show were a new leader will be sellected.
Acer Campestre, yamadori - Page 5 Img_0619

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 am

Knock, knock.... Embarassed
This is me and my questions again, Yvonne.
Yvonne Graubaek wrote: ... ... This is a photo of the prepared top on the paere, done while it was hanging upside dawn... ...
The purpose of having the tree growing upside down was to force the new branches to follow a downward position/direction?
Thank you very much!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Yvonne,

You certainly found some great material this Spring. And Big!

The Hawthorns and the Pear and the Maples........What a find. I'm looking forward to see how they develop.

One thing confuses me. Those hawthorn trees growing in the fields that turned into groves. Did you plant them or were they just there naturally?

One other thing. What is your potting mix that you initially pot them into and then what is the potting mix as you grow and refine them?

I have an 15 yr. old Acer campestre growing on a rock that I planted using a seedling and an Acer campestre 'Compacta' that I bought as a cutting. I like this Acer species.

I don't know how I missed this thread but I'm glad I found it.

Last edited by Gary Swiech on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add some words)
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi Gary

It was last spring i found the trees..this is all about updates....

The group of hawthorns, used to be planted by people, I dont really know why...After many years was it decided to remove them as they now wanted a field for cows...they crusted the trees right dawn to soillevel with a machine, but the hawthorns grew back...this is why they are rootconnected.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:40 am

Hi Gary

It forgot to answer the question about the soil I use...this is one pot LECApearls, and one pot cocopeat....It is perfect for most of my trees...is it a tree, who likes a little more dry soil, am I just adding a little more LECA, does the tree need a lot, more cocopeat.

I have more kinds of trees growing on rocks. This winter have I placed a coupple of Acer palmatum " Nikko" on rocks, it looks like it works well...some trees never adapt/clasp to a rock....like malus, they WANT to keep their roots round all the time, so they just add a little more lengd Rolling Eyes
How does a campestre behave/clasp?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next