Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures

+26
Ed Trout
Jeremy
Paul B (Scotland)
Lee Adams
Kev Bailey
Stone Monkey
Todd Ellis
Rob Kempinski
Pavel Slovák
Harleyrider
bigsteve
Ravi Kiran
ogie
Tom
handy mick
geoff
Mike Jones
Mark Cooper
Paul B [Swindon]
wabashene
alex e
fiona
john pitt
Ian Warhurst
chris
Bob Bailey
30 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Empty Re: 2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures

Post  Guest Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Bob Bailey wrote:Hi Morten
Thank you for your kind comments on my mini-tokonoma,because of the weight it is a struggle to get to shows ,but worth the effort when it is set up.

The amount and quality of the Shohin/Mame displays at this years show was amazing especialy the displays of Mark and Ritta and John Armatage and was something I think you would have really enjoyed.
I would welcome your thoughts and others on the Itogawa in the ox-blood glazed pot,does it work? I am still unsure.I think possibly you can get away with it with Shohin/Mame, but would it work with larger evergreens?
Regards Bob

Bob

I think it is just okay because it is dark coloured and do well with the green foliage colour and trunk colour as well. And, as you notice, because it is so small. The larger the worse I will say. A red colour spot on a wall doesnt seem too colourfull, but if the whole wall is painted red the colour is overwelming. Like with bonsai. Small Mame pots do cope more colours, but larger pots will be too much in strong colours.
I also believe this one works, because it is not part of a larger group.
If part of a display with three or more bonsai, I would put the conifer in a unglazed pot to add more peace and simplicty. But it is not the case here, and therefore I personally find it playfull and nice.

Best regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Empty Re: 2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures

Post  Mark Cooper Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Well folks, this will be the last of my photos from the show (I have no more).

First, part of "New Dawn's" exhibit :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 New_da10

Trident Maple, awarded a Certificate of Merit :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Triden10

Tony T's hawthorn, awarded a Certificate of Merit and the Presidents Award :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Tt_haw10

Cork Bark Chinese Elm :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Broom_11

And last but not least, Reg's Korean Hornbeam :

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Regs_k10

I hope you all have enjoyed the photos ? Mark

Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Empty Celtic Knot Bonsai Winter / early spring display.

Post  Jeremy Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi,
Mark,
Thank you for posting such fine images.

Swindon, thank you for such a fine show. It just gets better each year. If you missed this one, don't miss 2012.
Chris Thomas's and my blackthorn Celtic Knot Bonsai, Winter/early spring display.
2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Celtic10
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:14 pm

What a great show, the quality of all the trees was as good as it gets, thanks to all involved and thank you for the chance to show. planning the image and then producing it on the day is what does it for me. Wessex is next and the ideas are brewing already.

Thanks again to the Swindon boys .

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Empty swindon winter image show pictures

Post  Bob Bailey Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Chris,Jerry
Thankyou for your kind words and thankyou for your support over the past years when we were struggling to get societies to support us.May I also say in my humble opinion your Celtic Knot display was your best by far, you seem to get better with each show.
Cheers Bob
P.S. I like the stand Jerry

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks Bob,
I think what people may not understand about the Swindon show is that you do it every year. The other shows of this quality and size are only held bi-annually due to the work involved in the organisation!!!
It would surprise the Bonsai world if they knew how few put this fantastic show together.

Regards and thanks

Chris and Celtic Knot
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:30 pm

chris wrote:Thanks Bob,
I think what people may not understand about the Swindon show is that you do it every year. The other shows of this quality and size are only held bi-annually due to the work involved in the organisation!!!
It would surprise the Bonsai world if they knew how few put this fantastic show together.

Regards and thanks

Chris and Celtic Knot

Chris; here here or hear hear. I think on the strength of the 2011 show, Bob & support will have a heck of a job improving for their 10th anniversary 2012 event. Bet they do though.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Trout Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:37 pm

All I can say is WOW !!! Some of the best trees ( and photograhy ) I've seen. Thanks everyone for sharing.....I certainly would have liked to have seen this one in person. Most of these trees showed the "dignity" and dedication that only time can instill in our bonsai....VERY WELL DONE.

Ed Trout Pembroke Pines, Florida

Ed Trout

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B [Swindon] Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks Ed

The next show will be Feb 2012, start saving and hope to see you there???? It will be worth it Very Happy

Paul
Chairman
Swindon & District Bonsai Society
Paul B [Swindon]
Paul B [Swindon]

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:42 pm

Yeah what a fantastic show thanks to everyone involved and for the Swindon gangs hospitality. Great photos Mark. I hope you don`t mind me pointing out that it was Tony Tickles fat boy hawthorn that won the cert of merit and Bill Gordons chinese elm that won the presidents award. Can`t wait for next year.

Ian.

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Thanks Ian,

No problem my friend ; it was good to see you again.

Mark
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  graham walker Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks again to the Swindon Club for all their efforts in staging the Show.
Fantastic trees, well worth the 600ml round trip.
Great to meet up with everyone and have a natter
Thanks again
Graham

graham walker

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Empty swindon winter image show pictures

Post  Bob Bailey Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:12 am

They say a picture is worth a thousand words,so I would like to thank all the members who have posted so many wonderful photo,s of the show.I hope they have conveyed to people what we are trying to achieve with the show. Special thanks to Mark who covered all catergories of the show and even one of Tony!

Thanks again gentlemen for the Photo,s taken in such difficult lighting conditions

Bob

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Ed Trout wrote:All I can say is WOW !!! Some of the best trees ( and photograhy ) I've seen. Thanks everyone for sharing.....I certainly would have liked to have seen this one in person. Most of these trees showed the "dignity" and dedication that only time can instill in our bonsai....VERY WELL DONE.

Ed puts it very well. For my part this was a show well worth the 5.00am start and 400 mile round trip. I know the amount of effort it takes to prepare three trees for exhibition... but the collective effort of all concerned made this show truly fantastic. And it is just that... effort... but effort that is enjoyable and as has been shown by Bob and his team

BTW: This is my 1000th Post on IBC thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Bailey Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks for your comments Tony,I would like to take the credit for it ,but it was a real team effort from all our members with that little bit extra put in by Paul B,Reg and Terry. We are lucky we all get on together and the hard work for next years show starts next week.
Will keep every one posted with details of our 2012 Anniversary Show when date and venue are confirmed
Bob

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Empty Local press report on the 2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show

Post  Mark Cooper Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:17 pm

The show made it into the local press too !.....

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Newspa10

Mark

(newspaper cutting supplied by the Swindon BS Chairman, Paul Bowerbank. Thanks Paul)

Last edited by Mark Cooper on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:14 pm

tony wrote:
Ed Trout wrote:All I can say is WOW !!! Some of the best trees ( and photograhy ) I've seen. Thanks everyone for sharing.....I certainly would have liked to have seen this one in person. Most of these trees showed the "dignity" and dedication that only time can instill in our bonsai....VERY WELL DONE.

Ed puts it very well. For my part this was a show well worth the 5.00am start and 400 mile round trip. I know the amount of effort it takes to prepare three trees for exhibition... but the collective effort of all concerned made this show truly fantastic. And it is just that... effort... but effort that is enjoyable and as has been shown by Bob and his team

BTW: This is my 1000th Post on IBC thumbs up

Big ups for the 1000 Tony. Drinks all round then clown

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:40 pm

tony wrote: This is my 1000th Post on IBC thumbs up
What kept ya?

Paul - can you send me the original of that pic of Bob so I can put it up on my wall. Oh, and I'll not tell anyone what you said about Specsavers.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Empty Close ups of Mark & Ritta's shohin display trees

Post  John Brocklehurst Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:06 am

I thought that after all Marks hard work in posting shots of the Swindon Winter Image trees, it is only fair to showcase Mark & Rittas fantastic trees up close.
This shohin display blew my socks off !
I need to go and lie down now, I can't tell you how long it took me to get my head around loading these pictures...3 laptops later and here we are...enjoy
2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Pict0811
2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Pict0812
2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Pict0813
2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Pict0814
2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Pict0815
2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Pict0816

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:16 am

Hi John, great to 'see' you here on IBC... at least it only took you an hour or so... DAN took months Laughing

Great to showcase Mark & Rittas fantastic trees... absolutely TOP quality and in ball bouncing health. bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:09 am

Great pictures John, now go and have that well deserved lie-down Wink
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:47 pm

What I hadn't realised was that there was a knitwear competition element to the Swindon show - although I suppose it was appropriate to a winter image event.

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 John_b10 2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 4 Jerry_10

I'm awarding the prize to John B - buttons and toggles always do it for me! Tony is disqualified on the basis that the rules quite clearly state that cardies have to be fastened.

I have sent these images to Woolovers.com for their 2011 catalogue. I'll not tell you what their reply was.

btw I mislaid a beach ball at the event; anyone any idea where it went?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:39 pm

somebody is going to get hurt Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  John Brocklehurst Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:44 pm

In the photograph from the local newspaper ad, is Terry Adams showing us:

a) His Tommy Cooper impersonation

or

b) A move from "The Karate Kid 2" movie

Answers on a postcard please

John Brocklehurst

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:20 pm

John Brocklehurst wrote:In the photograph from the local newspaper ad, is Terry Adams showing us:

a) His Tommy Cooper impersonation
That's not really something you can answer jus' like that. Laughing
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next