Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures

+26
Ed Trout
Jeremy
Paul B (Scotland)
Lee Adams
Kev Bailey
Stone Monkey
Todd Ellis
Rob Kempinski
Pavel Slovák
Harleyrider
bigsteve
Ravi Kiran
ogie
Tom
handy mick
geoff
Mike Jones
Mark Cooper
Paul B [Swindon]
wabashene
alex e
fiona
john pitt
Ian Warhurst
chris
Bob Bailey
30 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Empty Re: 2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Some folk are gonna to be BARRED from IBC Suspect

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Empty Re: 2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures

Post  Harleyrider Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:51 pm

I like that, lol. MINE and Tony's exhibits, lol.

Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B [Swindon] Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 pm

The Swindon Club tried turning the lights off in the hall, but then we couldn't find where someone had put the camera :-
cause it was too dark. Very Happy Very Happy

You had to be at the show to fully enjoy the splendour of all the trees. oh, and to catch up with all the old friends there.

Mark, that's a lovely photo of the Certificate, maybe we should have turned off the lights after all. Smile

Paul
[Swindon]
Paul B [Swindon]
Paul B [Swindon]

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:04 pm

Harleyrider wrote: Even Fiona managed to put in an appearance, albeit a little later than anticipated! I think she broke the record for the number of 'feckin's' you could fit into a 1 minute phone call!
Is it actually possible to break one's own record?

But seriously, despite my late arrival on account of Swindon's all too obvious love-affair with traffic roundabouts and no street signs, I was hugely impressed with this show. Billed to me as a "local club show" it knocked spots off some of the larger "national" shows I have attended in terms of quality of tree and quality of display. No single tree or display was less outstanding than the others. There was also a good mix, as someone has said already, of trees and traders, and a wonderful atmosphere. I wondered beforehand why I had never been before and now I am determined to return next year with more time to spend wandering about.

Regards
the formerly irate Glaswegian bird in the carpark who is now overwhelmingly gobsmacked by the sheer breathtaking quality of the Swindon show.

btw the bicycle journey breakdown was Bristol to Swindon (outskirts thereof) - 40 miles in about two and a half hours. Swindon outskirts to venue - 5 miles in about erm... two hours, three phone calls to Harleyrider and a detour round about 100 roundabouts. Or was it the same one 100 times? And please note "that" phone call was only 45 seconds.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Fiona

Really sorry I missed you. You are not alone, I must have gone 'round' that magic roundabout 60 times, and what bright-spark ever decided to name it as such?

Got home 40 minutes quicker than I got there. Rolling Eyes

Catch you later in the year Fiona.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:12 pm

Mike Jones wrote:Fiona

Really sorry I missed you. You are not alone, I must have gone 'round' that magic roundabout 60 times, and what bright-spark ever decided to name it as such?

Got home 40 minutes quicker than I got there. Rolling Eyes

Catch you later in the year Fiona.

Mike

Glad to hear the local also get lost in Swindon. I was very temporally mislocated when I drove through there a few years ago.

Looked like a good show.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Ok, here's a direct link to my Swindon 2011 album on Photobucket. I decided it's easier and quicker to do it this way rather than resize 75 pics one by one so they fit this screen. Please feel free to copy and use any you want.
My apologies to the owners of the trees for the poor quality in some of the pics. If I stood to far away the image went yellow, if I got too close I got a nasty shadow from the flash. Typically, the ideal distance was usually occupied by person or persons unknown trying to view the trees.

https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/harleyrider_2008/Swindon%20District%20show%202011/
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Thank you everyone for posting your pictures. Harleyrider's link was a "fantastic ride!"
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:09 pm

Not the first time I've had that said about me! Cool
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Fantastic show! Thanks for sharing the pictures unfortunately I could not attend due to other commitments.

Steve

Great photo's mate and good to see you back in here

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Harleyrider wrote:Not the first time I've had that said about me! Cool

And how is your Tinnitus these days?

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Empty Shohin exhibit photos from 2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show

Post  Mark Cooper Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:21 pm

So, as promised, here are a few photos of the Shohin exhibits :-

First, two photos which represent about two thirds of John Armitage's extensive shohin display, all of which won the "Best Shohin Display" award :-

White Pine (and a Cotoneaster , I think)

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Ja_sho10

Itoigawa, Potentilla, Chinese Elm (yellow pot), and Zelkova far right :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Ja_sho11

Next, a Shohin Berberis (grown from nursery stock by the owners) used as an "accent" plant as part of a larger display :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Shohin10

Red Pine awarded the "Best Shohin"" trophy, with Primula accent plant :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Best_s12

The full Shohin display of which the above Red Pine was part ("modesty forbids" that I identify the owners !) :
Starting from the top, and then left to right : White Pine "Zuisho", Pyracantha (yellow pot) and Trident Maple, Broom style Zelkova and Star Jasmine, and far right, Red Pine :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Shohin11

Further pictures of the other exhibits to come later. Mark
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:24 pm

Great pix Steve. Just sorry I couldn't be there. Maybe next year.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:16 am

Mark Cooper wrote:So, as promised, here are a few photos of the Shohin exhibits :-

The full Shohin display of which the above Red Pine was part ("modesty forbids" that I identify the owners !) :
Starting from the top, and then left to right : White Pine "Zuisho", Pyracantha (yellow pot) and Trident Maple, Broom style Zelkova and Star Jasmine, and far right, Red Pine :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Shohin11

Mark

That is a top notch shohin display. Really works well and I love that yellow pot.

PS Congratulations on the correct white balance in the photos too. ThumbsUp
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Empty swindon witer image show pictures

Post  Bob Bailey Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:01 am

In my last post thanking everyone I forgot to mention one very importatant part of our Show,the demonstration. John Armitage once again showed he is one of the UK,s top shohin artists with a wonderful demo working on small trees.Once again thankyou John and I will see you at the BSA show at Willowbog next month
Bob

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Adams Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 am

Excellent trees, in particular the decidous bonsai looking like trees in the landscape.

Lee Adams

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:32 am

Here's a few more not posted so far afaik

Who says a forked trunk doesn't work?

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Forked10

Great looking deadwood on this juniper semi-cascade

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Jinnyj10

The tree isn't mad - just the hares, but nice and natural looking!

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Tree_n10

Classy old school JWP

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Swindo10

Group of Shohin

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Shohin10

Thks

TimR

wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Empty Chuhin exhibit photos from 2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show

Post  Mark Cooper Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:47 am

So, having already posted some photos of some of the Mame and Shohin exhibits, next up are a few photos of some Chuhin size trees.
Photos of the larger Dediciduous trees and Pines to follow.

Ian's Chuhin Itoigawa. Awarded the Best Chuhin prize :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Best_c12

Martin's Black Pine :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Black_10

Reg's Trident Maple over Rock :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Regs_t10

Chinese Elm :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Chuhin11

More photos to follow soon. Mark

Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:10 pm

Superb photo's Mark.

Looks like a great show, I'll try to get to next years.

I'm hoping some of the Shohin will make an appearance at Willowbog in March.
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Thanks Mark

That 'old school JWP' was sooo nice up close and personal. Love it.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:33 pm

This Scots won the "Best Large Evergreen" award :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Best_p11

Next, three Japanese White Pine exhibits :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 W_pine13

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 W_pine14

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 W_pine15

A Japanese Red Pine :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Red_pi11

Part of the Wirral group's display :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Wirral10
2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Wirral11

Photos of the larger deciduous exhibits to follow soon. Mark

Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Excellent trees and Phots's Mark. Keep em flowing. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm

That rocks!!! I am crazy about Bob B´s mini-Tokonoma. It is so well done. And there are so many good Shohin on display - including some I guess is Mark and Ritas. I think there really is a good bonsai (shohin or not) community there and the Swindon´s must be happy to house this event. Good quality. Thanks for sharing.
Congratulations all who have taken part. Envy, envy, envy ... Very Happy
And, again, great photos Mark.
Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Empty swindon winter image show pictures

Post  Bob Bailey Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:52 am

Hi Morten
Thank you for your kind comments on my mini-tokonoma,because of the weight it is a struggle to get to shows ,but worth the effort when it is set up.

The amount and quality of the Shohin/Mame displays at this years show was amazing especialy the displays of Mark and Ritta and John Armatage and was something I think you would have really enjoyed.
I would welcome your thoughts and others on the Itogawa in the ox-blood glazed pot,does it work? I am still unsure.I think possibly you can get away with it with Shohin/Mame, but would it work with larger evergreens?
Regards Bob

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Empty Larger deciduous exhibit photos from 2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show

Post  Mark Cooper Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:02 am

Here are some of the larger deciduous exhibits at the show.

First, Terry's home grown English Alder which won the "Best Large Deciduous" award :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Alder_10

John B's Japanese holly :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Holly_10

and here's John B receiving his Certicate of Merit for the above tree :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 John_b10

Jerry's Blackthorn :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Jerrys10

and here's Jerry receiving his Certicate of Merit for the above tree :-

2011, 9th Swindon 'Winter Image' Show pictures - Page 3 Jerry_10

A few more photos of the deciduous exhibits to follow later. Mark

Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next