Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few Bellota pots

+19
DWThomas
jersanct
Storm
Gwyther
prestontolbert
Robert Wallace
a.muenz
chatsworth45
martin kolacia
Tom Benda
Stone Monkey
Dan Barton
kitoi
Rob Addonizio
Billy M. Rhodes
yamadorian
peter krebs
Russell Coker
pjkatich
23 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

A few Bellota pots - Page 2 Empty Re: A few Bellota pots

Post  pjkatich Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Here are a few oval pots that came out of the last firing.

A few Bellota pots - Page 2 257-0010
A few Bellota pots - Page 2 Hh-00310
A few Bellota pots - Page 2 Hh-00510
A few Bellota pots - Page 2 Hh-00610
I hope you enjoy.

Regards
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Benda Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:55 am

I envy You the yellow glaze. If I finally find some in the future for my wood firing, I think it won´t be such "true" and bright yellow, just some derivate of brown.
Thanks for sharing, for inspiring.

Tom Benda

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:51 am

Wow, Paul, great stuff as always!

Was wondering, are the last pots in that 50/50 claybody we talked about before? If so, it really does show off glazes well.

Hopefully by this time next year I will be in the realm of ^10, moving up from ^6 to ^8. I have recently purchased some new glaze books by a very reputable source/author on the subject and I am very much looking forward to making up some good base glazes and going from there. In my opinion, that is the best way to go.

Time will tell...

With great admiration,
Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  a.muenz Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi Paul,

the first blue and the yellow glaze are very beautiful. Great work.

Best regards,
Andreas

a.muenz

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Tom Benda wrote:I envy You the yellow glaze. If I finally find some in the future for my wood firing, I think it won´t be such "true" and bright yellow, just some derivate of brown.
Thanks for sharing, for inspiring.

You are most welcome Tom. I appreciate you taking the time to share you thoughts.

Yellow is a particularly difficult color to produce firing to ^10. This particular yellow glaze uses red iron oxide as the colorant and is quit dependable in the kiln I use. The bright yellow color on this pot is mainly due to the light colored clay body that the pot was made from. I think it would be very difficult to reproduce this color in a wood fired kiln.

Regards,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Rob Addonizio wrote:Wow, Paul, great stuff as always!

Was wondering, are the last pots in that 50/50 claybody we talked about before? If so, it really does show off glazes well.

Hopefully by this time next year I will be in the realm of ^10, moving up from ^6 to ^8. I have recently purchased some new glaze books by a very reputable source/author on the subject and I am very much looking forward to making up some good base glazes and going from there. In my opinion, that is the best way to go.

Time will tell...

Good morning Rob,

Yes, the last three oval pots are made from the 50/50 clay body we discussed. As you can see, it is a very good clay body for showing off colored glazes.

Knowing how dedicated you are to making the best pots you can, I think you will have be able to achieve great results using this clay body.

Good luck with your glaze testing. I look forward to seeing what you can achieve and thanks for taking the time to comment on my pots.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:20 pm

a.muenz wrote:Hi Paul,

the first blue and the yellow glaze are very beautiful. Great work.

Best regards,
Andreas

Hello Andreas,

I see that this is your first post here on the IBC.

I am honored that you have chosen to comment on my work.

The glaze on that first blue oval pot is called Midnight Blue. The pot is made from an English porcelain clay body and is what gives the glaze it's depth. On any other clay body, this glaze looks black.

I appreciate your complements very much.

Have a great day.

Regards,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Here are a few more round pots for your consideration.

A few Bellota pots - Page 2 257-0110
A few Bellota pots - Page 2 257-0111

I would be very interested in your thoughts on this next glaze.

A few Bellota pots - Page 2 Px-00110

This is a new glaze I have been working on and this is the first test on a pot.

Regards,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Wallace Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:06 pm

Great looking pots! Your forms are very refined and I like the purple glaze. I also like the last glaze very much it reminds me of a bone ash glaze I use.
Rob
Robert Wallace
Robert Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:53 am

Robert Wallace wrote:Great looking pots! Your forms are very refined and I like the purple glaze. I also like the last glaze very much it reminds me of a bone ash glaze I use.
Rob

You have a good eye for glazes Robert. I'm kind of partial to the purple glaze myself and yes, the finish on that last pot is a bone ash glaze.

Your feedback is always welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Regards,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:57 am

Any thoughts on this set of pots?

A few Bellota pots - Page 2 306-0010

url=https://servimg.com/view/13611014/46]A few Bellota pots - Page 2 Px-01010[/url]

A few Bellota pots - Page 2 Px-01110

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  kitoi Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:20 am

The contrast of the 1st one is outstanding! the color, the texture and the shape!

kitoi

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:42 am

Paul,
The contrast of the texture in the first pot is accented very well with the dark brown engobe that you have chosen. Nice.

I love the rutile in the glaze of the second one. For those of you who do not know, rutile is a material consisting of titanium with iron. It give lovely mottling and tan and yellow hues to glazes. It is one of my favorite materials to use in glazes. It is a very lovely use here in this pot.

Now this third pot throws me for a loop. It looks like a tenmoku base, but I am interested in the green hue that I see in the photograph. Is this the teadust tenmoku?

Curious,
Rob

PS I have a fired example of that half/half clay in a lovely oval, and will post it soon. Thanks!
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:54 am

The first pot reminds me of a pile of bricks. I've not seen that technique achieve that particular effect. Very nice. Are any of you Florida potters going to NCECA in Tampa this year?
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:19 am

pjkatich wrote:A few Bellota pots - Page 2 257-0111

Can you bring this, the yellow from the last page and the second pot on the first page with you when you come to Mobile, PLEASE???

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 pm

kitoi wrote:The contrast of the 1st one is outstanding! the color, the texture and the shape!

Thanks Keith, your feedback is always appreciated.

The compliment means a great deal when it comes from the King of cracked pots himself.

I'm glad you like this one, it's one of the new combination's I've been working on lately.

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Rob Addonizio wrote:Paul,
The contrast of the texture in the first pot is accented very well with the dark brown engobe that you have chosen. Nice.

I love the rutile in the glaze of the second one. For those of you who do not know, rutile is a material consisting of titanium with iron. It give lovely mottling and tan and yellow hues to glazes. It is one of my favorite materials to use in glazes. It is a very lovely use here in this pot.

Now this third pot throws me for a loop. It looks like a tenmoku base, but I am interested in the green hue that I see in the photograph. Is this the teadust tenmoku?

Curious,
Rob

PS I have a fired example of that half/half clay in a lovely oval, and will post it soon. Thanks!

Hey Rob,

In regards to the first pot, it's not an engobe. Actually, it's a new glaze that I have been experimenting with. It's a dark metallic colored glaze that shows some promise. This is the first test of this glaze on a pot and I was quite happy with the results when I took this pot out of the kiln last Monday.

You are correct on the second pot. This is a traditional Chinese, blue chun glaze which does contain rutile. It's the reduction of the rutile that produces the blue color.

As for the third pot, your not even close. This is another rutile based glaze. As you know, rutile based glazes can be extremely variable and this one is no exception.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

I look forward to seeing your new work.

Regards,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:18 pm

prestontolbert wrote:The first pot reminds me of a pile of bricks. I've not seen that technique achieve that particular effect. Very nice. Are any of you Florida potters going to NCECA in Tampa this year?

HI Preston,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my work.

You right, the first pot does look like a pile of crumbling bricks. I've been playing around and refining these stretched pots this past year. I like this particular effect myself and have been able to recreate this look with some consistency.

Unfortunately, because other commitments, I will not be able to attend NCECA this year. You planning on making the trip?

Regards,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:20 pm

[quote="Russell Coker"Can you bring this, the yellow from the last page and the second pot on the first page with you when you come to Mobile, PLEASE???[/quote]

I would be happy to bring them along Russell.

I'll set them aside for you this evening.

Thanks,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:37 am

Paul,

Cool. Its always good to learn of more ways to use a colorant...

Preston,

I was considering going to the convention, but now I am on the fence so to speak. What about you?
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:22 am

Okay, here's one that's a bit different.

A few Bellota pots - Page 2 Px-01310

Any opinions on this glaze?

Thanks,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Pots are looking good Paul

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Wallace Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:10 am

Paul,
Good stuff! I love the texture you achived on that first one in this series. As Preston mentioned it seems to be a good inovation on the process. I hope the glaze discussion does not bother you I find it very interesting and educational how we get some different glaze effects. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!
Robert
Robert Wallace
Robert Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:51 am

Stone Monkey wrote:Pots are looking good Paul

Regards

Andy

Thanks mate, your opinion is always valued.

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:02 am

Robert Wallace wrote:Paul,
Good stuff! I love the texture you achived on that first one in this series. As Preston mentioned it seems to be a good inovation on the process. I hope the glaze discussion does not bother you I find it very interesting and educational how we get some different glaze effects. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!
Robert

Good evening Robert,

Much obliged for the compliment.

I am not bothered in the least. In my opinion, any discussion about glaze is a discussion worth having. The sharing of information and ideas along with the pretty pictures does not cause me any grief.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my work.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next