Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A few pots

+2
anttal63
prestontolbert
6 posters

Go down

A few pots Empty A few pots

Post  Guest Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:22 pm

At the prompting of an Australian potter (and my mentor) I picked up a piece of clay 2 months ago & made my first ever bonsai pot. Since then it has become as big an obsession/passion as growing bonsai (which I have been doing for 24yrs). I started out slowly just making the odd simple pinch pot & the like until I started carving, now I dont go a day without working on some.

I have always loved small pots and the carving suits this end perfectly, hence the largest pieces are actually the early accent pots & a few larger shohin pots. I had my first firing last week and have been letting the results teach since I collected them from my mentor.

I thought I would share some of my favorites and see what others think.A few pots R0013610A few pots R0013711A few pots R0013712A few pots R0013714A few pots R0013715

These are my first attempts & I can see lots that I need to improve on but I am happy with them none the less.

Matt

Back to top Go down

A few pots Empty Re: A few pots

Post  prestontolbert Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I really like your clay body. Are you wood firing?
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:17 pm

Great 1st try Matt well done!!! cheers
anttal63
anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:26 am

Preston, I am firing in my mentors kiln at the moment, gas fired and in a reduction atmosphere to bring out the best in that groggy clay. I hope to build my own wood fired kiln soon.

Anttal, Cheers bud...

Back to top Go down

Post  DWThomas Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:58 am

You are off to a great start. I love the textures you are getting.
DWThomas
DWThomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:09 am

I like the blue and black rectangle pot the best. Plant that baby!
Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:52 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:I like the blue and black rectangle pot the best. Plant that baby!
Salut, Todd

Crying or Very sad Way too small for me to keep alive... I will send it to you... would love to see something in it cheers

Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:32 am

Heres a few more that I am really happy with.A few pots Pict0010A few pots Pict0012A few pots Pict0011

Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:31 am

Hi Matt,
I would love your pot and would be happy to pay you for it. You may "personal message me (PM)" if you like.

I wouldn't try to grow material in this small pot. But, for display, I think it would be a beautiful pot! You may want to reconsider letting the pot go. Here's why... You can create an accent planting and do the actual growing-developing in a deeper pot. Then, a couple of weeks before the "show", you take the planting out of the deeper pot and place moss around the soil mass, holding the moss in place with pins or staples; creating a mound effect, and set it into the (your) display pot for the show. To water, you use a spray bottle to keep it hydrated.

BTW,certainly no hard feelings if you decide to keep your pot! Very Happy

Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pola Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:56 am

Those are beautiful!! Keep it up!!
Pola
Pola

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:17 am

I did the first full firing of my own work last weekend in my mentors kiln. On top of the 4 clay bodies I currently use, i got samples of several others from a different supplier to trial. As well as several different mixed bodies that I have been experimenting with. I am still in the process of reviewing all of the pots & recording results of the various tests. Overall I am really happy with how they have come out, heres some of my picks, sizes in order they appear 15x9x3.5cm, 12.5x8x2cm, 9x3cm, 9x7x1.8cm .A few pots R0013810 A few pots R0013811A few pots R0013910A few pots R0013911

The colour in the photo's isnt totally true to the pots but not far off. One day I might work out how to get a decent picture of my pots & trees.

This will be my last firing for a while, I am getting a gas kiln later this month but will take me a few months to get a shed built and all the necesary connections put in for it.

Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Matt,
You have begun the journey! Keep it up! Very Happy

Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content