Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first stone.What do you think ?

2 posters

Go down

My first stone.What do you think ? Empty My first stone.What do you think ?

Post  aab900 Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:49 pm

I just found this stone around my work place.After clean up and took some pics i saw the old man face.
My first stone.What do you think ? Photo2
My first stone.What do you think ? Photo1
My first stone.What do you think ? Photo

aab900

Back to top Go down

My first stone.What do you think ? Empty Re: My first stone.What do you think ?

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:49 am

Hi Aab900

You have a good eye, the face is looking at me....
The stone itself, is not a big deal, but can look better in a wooden seat........When I find a stone, and find something in it.
I always think..Does the stone really talk to me, Can I hopefully find a classic figure in it, Mountain, bird or house ect. Will I regrett, if I just walk away from it. And will I want to exhibit the stone in my house.

I think you should find some books about suiseki, and try to understand, the beaty in the diffrent shapes.
This can give you a hint of, what you want to look for, apart from the stones you keep, simply because you like them....I have stones like the last ones, I found them, and love them, they look good in the wooden seat I carved to them, and they remind me of a day, or place.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:15 pm

I agree with Yvonne that this is a keeper. At such small size, it is better linked to the wider allowances of viewing stones than more narrow allowances of suiseki. On a miniature, multi-tiered stand with other objects (especially stones) of similar size & some relation in 'telling a story,' it could be stunningly apt. Jim Greaves created several groupings of stones with themes for the viewing stone exhibition "Beyond the Black Mountain," for which an exhibition catalog was published. While those stones were larger, Jim's thematic groupings were easily grasped with using some stones that otherwise would have been overlooked.

Small objects need to be grouped to draw attention. This is a particularly small object-- much smaller than shohin (small object) suiseki typically seen on tiered shelves.

With patience and imagination, perhaps you will fill-in a story where this stone has resonance. Exceptionally small multi-tiered shelves are available or several could be otherwise arranged on a limited space.

From Jim's exhibit (mounted at the U.S. National Bonsai & Penjing Museum) titled "Evening At the Pond"...
My first stone.What do you think ? Evenin10
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down