Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark)

+34
coh
Ryan
Andre Beaurain
lennard
Dreamcast
yogesh
Leo Schordje
Ashiod
dexworks
jupp
MikeG
Sakaki
dick benbow
Hank Miller
my nellie
AdamG
moyogijohn
Ravi Kiran
gope
FrankP999
Budi Sulistyo
Chris Peters
landerloos
Peter Svetoslavov
bontailo
Rob Kempinski
Ingvar Nilsson
Jerry Meislik
Storm
Rudi_G
bonsaisr
Khaimraj Seepersad
JimLewis
ogie
38 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Empty Re: Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark)

Post  Sakaki Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:49 am

It is really hard to believe that you make these ficus bonsais in Denmark!
Congrats Yvonne!

Taner
Sakaki
Sakaki

Back to top Go down

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Empty Re: Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark)

Post  MikeG Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Wow! Just by looking at the pics I'd swear they were in the tropics. Amazing job.
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  jupp Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:09 pm

That's to be admired even as you get this aerial roots at the Ficis
Thanks for showing thumbs up
jupp
jupp

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi Thanks guys

It would probably not have been easy to keep them that small, if they were in the tropics Smile
Arealroots is not dificult...All you need is a humid atmosphere.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:31 pm

I repottet one of the ficus 3 dages ago to a less cute, and much better pot, made from english Wall Sall, and thought it could be time for a bit winterupdate......

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_2024

All 3 trees has been fed with 2 2 2 fertilizer all winter. It has worked very well. With this tree, and the two others am I doing what I can to avoid crossed branches, as the crown developes.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_2110

The top on this one had become weak, as all the arealroots from the lover branches had grown too strong, this tree has been cut hard back on the lower branches, and thinned a little out in arealroots. I am working on renewing the top, and the other branches from inside the tree....it works, but it will take a while.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_2025

This one had run into the same problem, but much more serious, combined with the poor beginning of summer last year.....I am happy to belive it will come arround as a nice tree again....having learned a lot about the power of arealroots, and not to trust the early summer in Denmark.

On none of the trees am I planning to keep more new arealroots....but the last tree had for the first time a arealroot from one of the highest branches, close to the trunk on the backside....I have kept it....The last tree also have a new arealroot comming from the front of the trunk...should i keep it?...probably not.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:59 pm

AND they still look GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

thanks a million.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Khaimraj

THANKS Smile

One of the things I like about theese ficus, is to see how they fuse....take a look at the ficus as they look now, and compare with the previus photos....This kind of growth do i not find on my other trees.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:51 am

I have not posted photos of the ficus, from when I cut it back, to almost bare trunk...only leaving a little green.

But sinse summer has it grown a lot, and it was now time to reduse the ugly trunk-ends...it was not easy.
Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_2210

I used the dremmel, and because it was so cold outside, did I do it indoors Embarassed
Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_2211

I have now some cleaning to do........

Kind regards Yvonne Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 pm

Looking and learning.
Thanks.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  dexworks Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:00 am

Yvonne,

Your ficus are truly inspiring, and you living in a non tropical country, makes it even more special. I have a lot of ficus in the early stages of development, and none of them comes close enough to the quality of your trees yet...

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Derick
dexworks
dexworks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Looking and learning.
Thanks.
Khaimraj
Me too. I am not an expert, and will never be...having too many questions Smile .

Hi Derick

My trees are not young any more, so they show age now...cutting and pruning has helped a lot.

It is not easy with ficus in Denmark...This winter I realized a winter with a lot of low sun comming through the southwindow, is more important than a average summer.

Last winter was terrible, cloudy weather all the time during the winter, it did not add to really hot weather inside the humidtent, and the trees was a bit on their heels, as the summer arrived...and then the summer was cold and cloudy..terrible.

This winter has been very sunny, and the trees are doing very well...35 - 40 degrees and humid in the tent, almost day after day, is a gift....I am in the tropics every day when checking Smile

During this summer will i add some more sice to the tent, as it is possible. It will allow my trees to grow bigger.....but maybe I will have to end up selling a tree or two in the future, not that i want to....

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Good Morning Yvonne,

I was wondering how do you arrange the surface roots and can you show what a repotting looks like?

Also do you bare root to repot or just take off a % on the sides and underneath, adding back new soil ?
Thanks for whatever you can easily manage.
Stay well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:41 am

Update on one of the ficus...now standing 30 cm. tall
Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_2912

The two others are doing fine, but not much has changed yet on them...updates later.
kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Ashiod Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:10 am

Very cool, I can only hope that my little projects look half as good some day.
Ashiod
Ashiod

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:54 pm

All 3 trees are very nice. Great job.

I particularly like this third one with the multiple trunk/roots. This has a real lowland rainforest feel to it. Love it.

Great growing.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks Guys

The third tree, and the others has one trunk, the rest is arealroots becomming thicker and thicker, fusing to the trunk...I expect they will end up quit massive...the style is called banyon.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:25 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Good Morning Yvonne,

I was wondering how do you arrange the surface roots and can you show what a repotting looks like?

Also do you bare root to repot or just take off a % on the sides and underneath, adding back new soil ?
Stay well.
Khaimraj

Hi Khaimraj

Many of the arealroots, are still very thin, and the repotting has to be done very carefully....I only remove a Little of the heavy roots and soil from the underside, and place the tree in the pot afterwards, with only new soil under the rootball, not ower....I am hoping for a fused flor in the future.

I once tried to force roots to appear where i wanted them, and it never worked...only did this job give small unwanted scars.
I wait and see what the tree will bring, and take only out, the unwanted roots, the rest is being kept.....When a root is ca. 4 cm. long, and still White, is it possible to put a finger to the place were it comes out of the trunk, and carefully brake the root dawn in a position growing dawnwards.....the root is actully half broken, but will, if it is humid, still grow without problems....later when the root is longer, am I taking a small piece of vire, in the right length, and place it in the soil were i want the root to go in , the top of the vire lean towards the root...there after will i take small pieses of tape, and glue the root an vire together.....when the root is close to hit the soil, will i dig a tine hole, for the root to grow in to....much later when the root is strong, will I remove the vire.
A root that is being moved arround and bend will very often die back, but can some times shoot Again....a root glued to a vire as it grows, can take the shape you bend the vire.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:51 pm

I have been working on the new indoor damphouse for my 3 ficus...now I only have to wait for colder weather
Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_3010
This house, is a little bigger than the previus....will allow the trees to become bigger Smile
...I very often read in ficustopics, airflow is needed...it is not, my trees are healthy without any...but the temperature must be kept faily high, othervise will mold grow. 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:58 am

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:
Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Good Morning Yvonne,

Stay well.
Khaimraj
Hi Khaimraj

Many of the arealroots, are still very thin, and the repotting has to be done very carefully....I only remove a Little of the heavy roots and soil from the underside, and place the tree in the pot afterwards, with only new soil under the rootball, not ower....I am hoping for a fused flor in the future.

I once tried to force roots to appear where i wanted them, and it never worked...only did this job give small unwanted scars.
I wait and see what the tree will bring, and take only out, the unwanted roots, the rest is being kept.....When a root is ca. 4 cm. long, and still White, is it possible to put a finger to the place were it comes out of the trunk, and carefully brake the root dawn in a position growing dawnwards.....the root is actully half broken, but will, if it is humid, still grow without problems....later when the root is longer, am I taking a small piece of vire, in the right length, and place it in the soil were i want the root to go in , the top of the vire lean towards the root...there after will i take small pieses of tape, and glue the root an vire together.....when the root is close to hit the soil, will i dig a tine hole, for the root to grow in to....much later when the root is strong, will I remove the vire.
A root that is being moved arround and bend will very often die back, but can some times shoot Again....a root glued to a vire as it grows, can take the shape you bend the vire.

Kind regards Yvonne
Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_3315

Added a Photo, showing the glued to the vire root

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Ahh Yvonne,

more new stuff to learn.
Thank you.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  yogesh Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 pm

nice one... are they single tree or fused...
yogesh
yogesh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi yog

It is the story of 3 single trees...you can follow them...on one of the first pages, can you see the first Photos I took of them.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:48 pm

Time for a winterupdate of my small ficustrees  Smile 

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_4313
The trees had a good summer in the gardenhumidhouse , but in the end it became a little cold, this gave the green mould to the trunks...I need to wash them, again it shows temperatures are esential for the wellbeing of the ficus in a humidhouse, as it stopped as soon as they went indoors, to the controlled warmth.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_4314
This one had a good summer too, and the problems with the ballance due to the many arealroots, is being solved.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 4 Img_4315
This tree is the smallest...I needed its nice pot for a another tree, I may exhibit during next year, and potted the ficus in a too big pot available...look forward to see what this bigger room for roots will bring.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Ah yesss,
now I feel better.
Very beautiful.
Thank you for showing.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Dear khaimraj

Dont worry about the trees...the humidhouse work very well...it only have one flaw, I would wish I had room for a much bigger tent Very Happy 

Happy New Year to you.

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next