Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark)

+34
coh
Ryan
Andre Beaurain
lennard
Dreamcast
yogesh
Leo Schordje
Ashiod
dexworks
jupp
MikeG
Sakaki
dick benbow
Hank Miller
my nellie
AdamG
moyogijohn
Ravi Kiran
gope
FrankP999
Budi Sulistyo
Chris Peters
landerloos
Peter Svetoslavov
bontailo
Rob Kempinski
Ingvar Nilsson
Jerry Meislik
Storm
Rudi_G
bonsaisr
Khaimraj Seepersad
JimLewis
ogie
38 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Empty ficus in the cold north

Post  moyogijohn Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:43 pm

OK YVONNE,,,I Went to your other post...Wow those are some great trees!! not only are you in cold country but you do a great job with tropical trees...good job,,,take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Empty Re: Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark)

Post  Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:14 am

Hi everybody

I have a little update on my Ficus Natasja

The trees did really benefit from being in a humid tent all winter, and no mould appeared.
All summer has the trees again been in humid tent....and this is how they look now, after one year.

I am not showing one of the trees, as I am working on, redusing the hight, it will take a coupple of years, before it is worth looking at.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Shokka10

This tree is shooting a lot from the underside of the lowest branches now...I will let them grow very strong, and keep the top small.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Ficus_10

This tree is also shooting from the innerpart of the lowest branches ( not the trunk), and thats good. This small kifu has just been accepted for the EBA in Ratingen.....So, I feel rewarded for my work Very Happy

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Empty Re: Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark)

Post  gope Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Impressive!

gope

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Gope

Thanks Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:17 pm

congratz Yvonne

Peter

landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Empty fICUS IN THE COLD NORTH

Post  moyogijohn Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:36 pm

YVONNE,, You have done some great work with these trees !!!! I really like them...shows what a person can do with the know how to do it !! good work !! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamG Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Did you say these have always been in bonsai pots? They gained that much trunk girth in bonsai pots?!
AdamG
AdamG

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks peter...the two other entries was also selected. Smile

Hi Moyogijohn

Nice to hear from you again....I am happy you like the trees still.

Hi AdamG

Yes, the trees was in small pots all the time. The taper is a matter of tecnick.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Empty fICUS IN THE COLD NORTH

Post  moyogijohn Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:31 pm

I Did not even see that first post I made..I am sorry ! I Just think you are doing a great job with those trees.. take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:35 am

Hi Yvonne!

I missed the updated pictures of your ficus. It is really amazing how you developed these trees from seedlings from a supermarket.

...but what really impress me is keeping the trees alive in your climate for a very long time and at a zero casualties and this means you still managed to keep your first 3 trees alive and in an impressive form.

I am very desperate to own a single Pine- Mugo, scots, any pine from the colder areas will make me a very happy man.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:48 am

Congratulations on your abilities, dear Yvonne! Really amazing!
Do you think it's worth for me (and climate conditions in Greece) to try with a ficus neriifolia? I keep on postponing this since some time now... Smile
And a question, too : Do all kinds of ficus sprout aerial roots or only some of them?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Hank Miller Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Very nice - particularly the first.
Regards
Hank
Hank Miller
Hank Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi Jun

To hear theese words about my Ficus from you. Makes me honoured and humble...Many thanks.

I dont think, I am allowed to send a pine to your country, your country is very strict, as far as I know.
Let me know, what you can find out.....

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Hank Milller.

Many thanks Smile .

Dear My Nellie.

I am sure it is worth the while to try ficus in your country...you have the heath and a lot of light, If the air is too dry, you can keep the trees in a humidhouse, in the shade/part shade. Ficus tolerates low light.

I dont know about neriefolia, and I dont know, if all ficus make arealroots....please ask in a new topic...I would also like to know.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 26, 2012 11:30 am

Hi Friends

Some of you, who read this tread some times ago, may wonder if ficus in Denmark still works.....and some new readers may find it interesting too

Today I decided it was time to take the trees to the outdoor humid hothouse, after they had been in the indoor humid hothouse for several months...without having any windflow at all.

I think you should see how healthy they look... maybe some people in the northern Europe would like to try this at home too.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Img_0416

This tree will need to be vired a little

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Img_0417

This tree was cut back on the lower left side one month ago. I t is shooting nicely back. The stone is now hidden inside the tree.

I brought this tree to EBA/ESA in Ratingen, Germany last september.....after the show did I see "they" had chanced my infomation about the orign from " seedling" to "import" ...I can not describe how this felt....I had worked on this tree for many years, just to read this, too late to do anything about it, after I came home.....I can assure all, this is not going to happen for me ever again.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Img_0418

I have just repottet this tree, as it needed a new position....
Last october when I wanted to bring in the tree for the winter, had it grown too big for the window....so I took the big scissor and cut it hard back..it is now a kind of square Smile a long strong root have shot out of the buttom of the pot 3 times during the winter, and the one side is now stronger than the other.

The tree will now need some restyling, I will look forward to do.
Hope to bring some updatephotos of all, hopefully improoved trees, later this summer.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Yvonne,
Your trees are looking great. I hope that you can stimulate others to grow some tropical trees in the Northern countries.
Most excellent work.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat May 26, 2012 4:13 pm

tickles me to see the topic and see jerry's posts. talk about the cold north ( Montana USA) you two go together like peas and carrots Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi Jerry

Ficus is not common in the northern europe, and I dont think they ever will be....But it could be funny, if there was one more out there Smile

Hi Dick cherry

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Sat May 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Dick,
You are right.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Sun May 27, 2012 8:16 pm

I think Yvonne is the only one in Denmark, with such good quality Ficus, I have seen the Ficus windowsill for real and as you can see it works really well.
Yvonne shows us that with dedication and hard work you can come a long way, not only with her figs.

Kind regards
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun May 27, 2012 8:58 pm

landerloos wrote: ... ...Yvonne shows us that with dedication and hard work you can come a long way, not only with her figs... ...
Yes, of course! Peter, you are right but some people just close their eyes and will not admit the obvious... as we can read in the above Yvonne's post
Yvonne Graubaek wrote: ... ... I brought this tree to EBA/ESA in Ratingen, Germany last september.....after the show did I see "they" had chanced my infomation about the orign from " seedling" to "import" ...I can not describe how this felt....I had worked on this tree for many years, just to read this, too late to do anything about it, ... ...
This is a shame, dear Yvonne! I can imagine how you felt and feel about it. Nonetheless, such kind of "ratings" are absolutely worth of nothing.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 am

Many thanks to you both...Peter and Alexandra.

Kind regards Yvonne Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:04 am

Some update again Smile

During the year, I learned my trees are bannyonstyled, all 3 of them.....funny to learn that after all theese years Smile

We had a cold rainy month after I took my trees to the hot/damphouse in the garden....it did not do the trees any good, but they are ok.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Img_0913
This one had a good summer....It stands 25 cm. tall now, and will soon need a restyling.

As you can see, am I using vire and tape to controll the new ariealroots...keep them straight and hold them in possition....I am hoping for two more roots in the right side...all new on the other side is being removed.I am planning to remove a few old on this side too.

Ficus in The cold north ( Denmark) - Page 3 Img_0914

This tree had grown too big for my window...it is cut back, and is now only 27 cm tall now....the crown is being worked on as it grows.....branches growing into the crown is removed, the same for crossing branches, and two comming from the same spot too.
I am looking for a smaller pot.

Early this summer was it quit clear, the third tree was becomming weak i the top, due to too many ariealroots from the lower branches.....they have now been thinned out, and the rest of the tree has been cut back, for renew, and smaller sice.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:10 am

Auntie,

thank you very much for taking the time to post an update.
I really like the height control and look forward to seeing how you go.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 am

Me too Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next