Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My trip to the Pacific Northwest

3 posters

Go down

My trip to the Pacific Northwest Empty My trip to the Pacific Northwest

Post  al keppler Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:20 am

During a recent trip to visit family and friends I had the opportunity to do a little collecting in a few rivers. I did not hit the motherload of unblemished stones suitable for displaying without cutting, but did manage to find a few I found rather noteworthy enough to keep. I submitt them here in an effort to see whether daiza's are worth moving forward.
This stone came from the Chetco River in southern Oregon near the border. When I found it I was rather happy. I have always wanted a hut stone and I feel that there are better stones around to purchase I get special satisfaction out of knowing I found it.
My trip to the Pacific Northwest Chetco10

The next few stones are also from the Chetco.
My trip to the Pacific Northwest Chetco11
My trip to the Pacific Northwest Chetco12
My trip to the Pacific Northwest Chetco13
al keppler
al keppler

Back to top Go down

My trip to the Pacific Northwest Empty Re: My trip to the Pacific Northwest

Post  al keppler Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:23 am

These two stones were taken from the Trinity River. The larger one is deep green and was very hard to cut. The smaller stone is red jasper and is very colorful to look at.
My trip to the Pacific Northwest Trinit10
My trip to the Pacific Northwest Trinit11

I hope Chris can shed some light on my taste in choosing these stones. While not traditional I did have a lot of fun looking.

Cheers, Al
al keppler
al keppler

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:43 pm

Hi Al... Thanks for sharing.

A neighbor received very bad health news (not totally unexpected), yesterday, & I've been focused on assisting her & her family. Sorry to not respond, sooner.

Your photos didn't all display on my PC, though it appeared that you did everything right in posting on the site's gallery. I moved a couple of photo links to separate lines & the photos all appear, now.

Can you share the hut stone as seen from in front of it and very modestly downward (rather than upward), Al, as it would probably be seen in an exhibition?

Thanks, again!
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  al keppler Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:53 am

Here is one in hand for size at what I hope is the better position.My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0011

side
My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0012

back
My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0013

My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0014

At the river...
My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0210

Thanks, Al
al keppler
al keppler

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi Al. Great photos of the hut stone!

How did its dark areas deepen in color so distinctly after collection?

I like the stone's distinctly white inclusions, its relative depth (front-to-back) to width, the natural asymmetry of its peak (or 'roofline') looking from above with appealing variety of curves and cleavage. I like the tall white walls of the hut which are still realistic in height. I like the ground area below the hut which, for a cut stone, is deep enough to allow options that will better-serve appreciation than a shallower ground area would allow.

My choice for the front would be Al's backside for the stone. I like its simplicity and the humility of the roof tilting toward the viewer's perspective. Either side is quite nice, and a single choice is not obvious or necessary. From Al's chosen front, I imagine a guttering of water along a roof depression which spills in front of the hut's entrance-- just the way an imagined forlorn hut might offer an impasse to easy access.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi Al,

I know you specifically asked for advice from Chris but I can't resist .....!! You are so fortunate to be near so many fine stone collecting rivers. The next time you are in that area , try the Van Duzen River.....it's south/east of Eureka and very easy to get to from the road.

Your hut stone is terrific.....don't even compare it with the stones from Asia. I heard that even the Japanese do some carving on their hut stones....it's really rare to have a natural .

All your stones are worthy of display but the 4th stone is my favorite with it's rushing waterfall.

Thanks for showing and please update when you have daiza or suiban for the stones.

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  al keppler Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:09 am

Thanks Norma, I will look that river up. I really want to get back to the Trinity river. I saw some stones in the river that weighed over 200 pounds that looked as if they had been thru a tumbler. They were actualy polished brite.

Chris, The stones from the Chetco river are a dull grey color. I find that a couple days with a can of mink oil for boots will soak into the stone and stay there forever showing the great dark color. It looks like a stone and after a day or two it looks just like I picked it up that color. I guess many consider this cheating, but I'm not so much a purist and collect the stones for their asthetic value alone. I do not sell stones and I display them on shelves in my living room. Once and a while I will use a stone for a shohin tree display.

A few photo's of the Trinity river and the great rock bars. I let out a little sigh when I took these photo's. I will go back soon!My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0310

My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0311
al keppler
al keppler

Back to top Go down

Post  al keppler Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:13 am

This was the view up the river of the Chetco.My dog didn't find this rock collecting business so fun.My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0211

My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0212

My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0213

My trip to the Pacific Northwest Dsc_0214
al keppler
al keppler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down