Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection

+8
Carolee
Jason Eider
Gary Swiech
Jerry Meislik
Todd Ellis
marcus watts
cbobgo
gregb
12 posters

Go down

'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Empty 'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection

Post  gregb Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:08 am

I was invited to participate in a special exhibit at the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection in Seattle, Washington along with seven others from the Pacific Northwest Bonsai Clubs Association, July 17th through August 5th. I put the entire show on my blog: http://brendenstudio.wordpress.com plus some of the trees that were on exhibit from their permanent collection. Here is a shot of my tree, a common juniper I collected in 2007, as it was in the exhibit. The whole story about this tree is also on my blog, right below 'Best In The Northwest'. Thanks for taking a look! Arrow

'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection 07310

gregb

Back to top Go down

'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Empty Re: 'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection

Post  cbobgo Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:49 am

thanks for posting all the pics - though when I view your blog most of the pics are cut off on one side. Is it just me, or some glitch?

I was hoping to find out more about the pot "CJ" is in, as it caught my eye right away. I was very excited to read that it was a Michael Hagedorn pot. I knew he was a potter prior to his apprenticeship in Japan, but I think this is the first of his pots that I've seen. It is certainly not a typical pot choice for a tree like this, but works surprisingly well.

- bob
cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Empty Re: 'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection

Post  gregb Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:55 am

Hey Bob--thanks for the feedback. The cropping on the right side of the images is part of the blog design I don't really like but can be resolved easily by simply clicking on the image scratch

I'm glad you like the pot choice--it took Michael a while to accept it but when I suggested a change of pot he thought it was o.k. like it was cheers

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:29 am

hi,
nice read, what do the other two bits of cj look like now?

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:38 am

Thanks for your interest Marcus--I sold one at auction this summer and the other larger one is awaiting its first styling on my deck. That gives me an idea for another post on my blog...

One reason I sold one of them is that they are very time consuming to maintain and having two of them is just about all I can handle right now. They really grow like crazy here in Oregon and it seems like it's always time to cut them back Rolling Eyes But they aren't as prickly as J. rigida and I like the color of the needle better.

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Great tour Greg. Thanks for posting!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Greg,
Very pretty. Congratulations on the honor.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for posting the trees from the PRC.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:53 pm

gregb wrote:Thanks for your interest Marcus--I sold one at auction this summer and the other larger one is awaiting its first styling on my deck. That gives me an idea for another post on my blog...

One reason I sold one of them is that they are very time consuming to maintain and having two of them is just about all I can handle right now. They really grow like crazy here in Oregon and it seems like it's always time to cut them back Rolling Eyes But they aren't as prickly as J. rigida and I like the color of the needle better.

excelent, look forward to seeing it - i have a trio side by side on the main bench - a rigida, communis and shimpaku - i love the contrast between the three - and as the communis develops i think it will become a real favorite too, but at the moment it is just being prepared for styling this winter.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Eider Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:56 am

thanks for posting Greg,

Will definately stop by to take a look in person.
Enjoyed you blog, nice to see all the collected material from pnw.
really enjoyed it, keep up the good work and congrats!

jason
Jason Eider
Jason Eider

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 am

Jerry--thank you! Gary and Todd, it was my pleasure. Always happy to share. Marcus, junipers definitely have a lot of variation from species to species and look great when displayed next to each other to show this off. Jason, apart from the auction in June, this was the first time I had visited just to see trees since 1996. I had forgotten how large most of the trees in the collection actually are! Can you post photos of 'Best In The Northwest' Washington, which is next? I'm curious to see what we'll see cat

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Eider Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:23 am

Sure thing Greg. I'm looking forward to seeing whats at this next exhibit too.
Auction was great! I got a nice cork bark pine and a ponderosa as well. Very Happy

jason
Jason Eider
Jason Eider

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Thank you for posting. I very much like your CJ. Could you explain how you accomplished the build-up of the soil on the left. I'm assuming you used muck, but how did you maintain the shape of the muck (in the rain) as the moss was taking hold? I think the combination of the raised soil, the pot, and the style of the tree all work very well together. Carolee
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Empty My guess...

Post  reddog Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Not sure but I think Greg had the cj planted horizontally in a previous pot. He removed the cj, re-potted and tilted it up on the left. I would think he added moss on the left side and used aluminum "U" clips to attach the moss until it was established. Just a guess. Looks great. I think I would have liked it in an unglazed container. Cool

reddog

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:02 pm

yes, the blog says the potting angle was changed so the lump is just roots hidden with moss that will be steadily removed in time i expect.....

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi Greg,
Thanks for showing us these great PNW trees..........just curiuos where there any trees from BC as many of the clubs up here belong to the PNWBCA?
Cheers
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Eider Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:27 am

gman I think it was featuring oregon artists.
p.s. big fan of you posts on mountain hemlock.
went this year in cascades and collected my first m hemlocks Smile
got one that has some real potential. Very Happy

jason
Jason Eider
Jason Eider

Back to top Go down

Post  ang3lfir3 Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:08 am

the current display was indeed just from Oregon ..... the upcoming display will feature trees from Washington .... Vic's tsukomo (that went to the national exhibition) will on display .... sadly there is limited space and so my larch won't be on display for this event ....

@gman its not a PNBCA event its a show that the Pacific Rim collection does ....

ang3lfir3
ang3lfir3

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:11 am

Carolee--Reddog got it right; the tree was in the same pot and Michael saw a different front that required a change in the planted angle of the tree. I tilted it to the right and the mound you see is the rootball on the left up in the air. I planted mos on it to keep it from drying out and dying. No muck was necessary in the process Wink Gman--'Best In The Northwest' Washington is the next special exhibit followed by a solo showing of Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Curator Dave DeGroot. I think that between Dave and the Washington artists there should be some trees that came from BC. Jason has promised us to post some photos from the Washington show ThumbsUp

gregb

Back to top Go down

'Best In The Northwest' at Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection Empty best in NW

Post  TheMulletRapper Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Well, they say CJ likes it wet: I guess the moss pretty much confirms that.

TheMulletRapper

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:54 am

They do like it wet but with good drainage. I first potted this tree in a plastic kitchen collander in 100% pumice. It took the tree a year to get going but once it did it became very vigorous. I used 50% pumice 50% akadama for soil when it went into a bonsai pot.

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  gregb Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 am

Does anybody have photos of 'Best Of The Northwest' Washington Show that is up now at the Pacific Rim Bonsai Collection?

gregb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down