Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show

+4
framor
John Quinn
fiona
gman
8 posters

Go down

PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show Empty PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show

Post  gman Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:50 am

Hi folks, this post is for the IBC old timers.........well for everyone really but......
I believe many of you know Anton Nijhuis who is registered here but doesn't visit that often (too busy working on his trees).
Well one of Anton's mountain hemlocks (a real monster) got "best in Show" this last weekend at the 20th annual Pacific Northwest Bonsai Clubs association convention held in Victoria BC Canada.
It was my first convention and I was very lucky in that I travelled down with Anton and learnt so much as an observer at the workshops, demos and talking to others......
I took some photos and will post if folks are interested.
Cheers Gman
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show Empty Re: PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show

Post  fiona Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:27 am

Please post those pics Gman, especially if you have some of Anton's monster mountain hemlock. I think we are all interested in what makes Best of Show in different events. I personally (and I'm sure I'm far from alone) am interested in how the organisers have staged the exhibits and the standard of entries in general.

Thanks in anticipation
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show Empty Re: PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show

Post  John Quinn Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:53 am

I went to that show in 2003...it was well run. First time I saw Mountain Hemlock too.
Too bad the Pacific Rim Collection is closed to the public. Have you heard anything new regarding that?
Let's see some pics!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show Empty Pacific Rim Collection

Post  framor Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:24 am

John Quinn wrote:I went to that show in 2003...it was well run. First time I saw Mountain Hemlock too.
Too bad the Pacific Rim Collection is closed to the public. Have you heard anything new regarding that?
Let's see some pics!

Hey John, David DeGroot (curator of the Pacific Rim collection) gave me a tour of the collection in their growing area a couple weeks ago. The trees all look great, it is too bad they aren't on public display, but David said they hope to reopen to the public in 2010 or 2011, depending on the recovery of the housing market. I feel much better knowing the trees are still in great hands.

Stephen
Washington, DC

framor

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:26 pm

Here is a photo of the exhibit area, this was early on Thursday afternoon, before they had rearranged the display putting all the taller trees along the walls and the other photos is one of the vendors area.
I must apologize as I didn't take any pictures on Anton's Hemlocks....seems like I blocked them out ......seeing as though I've seem them dozens of times.....so all my pictures are of trees that I hadn't seen before and that interested me. I'l try some other sources and will post more soon.
Cheers Gman
PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show Pnwbca10PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show Pnwbca11
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show Empty PNBCA XX Victoria 2009 Pictures

Post  b0n2a1 Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:31 pm

I have posted a bunch of pictures of the convention on flickr if anyone is interested.
It was a great convention. I had a blast. Looking forward to next year. Our club will be hosting it in Bremerton Wa.

b0n2a1

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm interested, got a link?
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Jay, run your cursor over the first sentence in that last post. The text will turn red and all you have to do is click it.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks Fiona, Its one of the features here that I tend to forget about.
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  gman Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Fiona,
Anton's trees are on page 4, on the right on the bottom two rows. The upper one wont best in show.
G
gman
gman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:09 pm

What a nice collection of photos. This is where inspiration overpowers perspiration and our trees reaap the rewards.

JKay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi Graham, This was an excellent show with really great bonsai!! I'm just a little confused about your directions to the photo showing Anton's Best of Show winner. You said it was on page 4 but the link only shows 3 pages.

Congratulations, by the way, to Anton cheers

Did Anton show any stones?

Thanks for sharing a well planned show!

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Curtis Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 pm

I was fortunate enough to attend on Saturday and at the last minute take part in the large hemlock workshop. Had a great time! Probably seen you gman but I dont know if we met. I did however meet Anton. Very nice guy and I hope to visit you guys up in Campbell River sometime. Those were great pics. I took some too but Im not too happy with the way they turned out. The flash killed my pictures Sad
Curtis
Curtis

Back to top Go down

PNWBCA - 20th Convention - Best in Show Empty I think this is the tree you are talking about

Post  b0n2a1 Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:01 am

b0n2a1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down