Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Empty another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis

Post  Guest Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:53 am

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_0330

Hi again. im not planning to post this tree until next month, but i just cant help it to share it with you guys, just got this few days ago. this is a huge trunk for this flowering bonsai .trunk, 6" in diameter with a well formed primary branches,naturally in semi cascade form with roots intact, il have this project completed in just few months. i have several of this species and they produced flowers in three months time. the biggest size of ixora chinensis i saw in shows are around 3" dia trunk, so i immediately took the opportunity to own this one, with a big price tag of course. but i think its worth it.

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_0331

beer for scale...and for celebration for this new baby. this one is gonna be my favorite someday.

Back to top Go down

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Empty Superb tree!!!

Post  hirow08 Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:17 am

OMG sir Jun!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked is this your SANTAN!?
Wow! this is indeed the biggest find! i was searching for santan online and found this link! lol Shocked Shocked Shocked

UPDATES please Smile

I believe this is our local version of Azalea right?

hirow08

Back to top Go down

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Empty Re: another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis

Post  Ravi Kiran Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:26 am

Good find Jun,

I recently picked up two of the same variety (I know that they are Ixora not sure on the Chinensis but they are the miniature variety) to be trained as Shohin. They are really tiny ones but already in flower. Good to see you pick up a monster. I am sure it will develop fine....

BTW I hope you have opened the beer bottle and celebrated Smile

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Empty Re: another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Hirow,

I got a bigger exora "santan" just two weeks ago, shorter but the trunk girth is much bigger.
I'll post it later together with the update with the semi cascade above.

so far the two i got were the biggest I ever saw even in exhibits. the other sub species got bigger trunks but bigger leaves too, but not the chinensis...they comes with compact and smaller leaves and finer flowers.

...oh I'll also post the biggest trunk girth of a "sampaguita" material (sorry no latin name yet) which is also new to my collection.

big trunk of "beauty berry" below...

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_2115

regards,
jun
Smile

Ravi,

thanks.

this species are perfect for shohin, I'm developing a couple for shohin too...I'll share it later.
I hope to see your shohin someday.goodluck!

ps. If they are the smaller variety with smaller compact leaves and rarely grows big...chances are you got the exora chinensis...they are perfect.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  hirow08 Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 pm

OMG sir Jun! i envy you so much! Crying or Very sad lol

I decided to focus on shohins atm. The fact that im still in the learning stage.
After i honed my skills and learned some new things, maybe ill get some of those exhibit size bonsai's.

If you may, could you pls pm me the price? Who's the one you're buyin from?? pls pls share some Laughing Laughing Laughing
I really love to have one if my budget will allow me to! Very Happy

Will definitely wait for a sneek peak What a Face

hirow08

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Jun,

in your hands, that should be another masterpiece/s. I got a few smaller specimens of ixora, because I have a weakness for yellow and a strange orange. However, you might see those in 10 years or so, trunks are pencil thick or probably never, because I like ixoras, and would just let them flower. Same goes for azaleas.

Exceeeeeeelennnnt taste and happy to sit back and see how you handle them.
Thanks for posting.
Khaimraj

Beauty berry - Latin ?????
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:32 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Jun,

in your hands, that should be another masterpiece/s. I got a few smaller specimens of ixora, because I have a weakness for yellow and a strange orange. However, you might see those in 10 years or so, trunks are pencil thick or probably never, because I like ixoras, and would just let them flower. Same goes for azaleas.

Exceeeeeeelennnnt taste and happy to sit back and see how you handle them.
Thanks for posting.
Khaimraj

Beauty berry - Latin ?????

Khaimraj,

thanks.

I hope they (my "exoras") won't end up as a flower bouquet (in Appearance),,,I'll do my best to make a good bonsai out the rare materials I have.

...the material above is more than 80 year old.

regards,
jun

Smile

Hirow,

some "exoras" I dug by myself.
some I bought from a loyal gatherer.
I'll send you PM.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  hirow08 Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:24 am

Thanks sir Jun,

What's really amazing about this tree is that it blooms like an Azalea and it's never collected in the wild. Smile
Somebody really has to take great care for this tree in order for it to attain such growth.

Lucky you! ThumbsUp
It did cost you tho, but it's worth it

hirow08

Back to top Go down

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Empty update and something more

Post  Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:38 pm

hirow and IBC,

here it is today.

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_2129

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_2130

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_2131

the other bigger trunk...

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_2132

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_2133

Jasminum sambac (sampaguita) another small giant

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_2134

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:29 pm

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_1210

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Empty another lucky find

Post  moyogijohn Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:29 pm

JUN,,,some more good finds you have!! i really like the beauty berry...keep us posted take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:05 am

Beyond lucky find, Jun,

it's a yellow, and that for me is a big plus, especially since the one I got is also yellow - Laughing

These shrubs have really grown on me, no trunks like your's, but the neighbour gave me red flowering ones, and somehow I ended up with the colour change orange and a white, with finally a bright pink.
Show you in 5 years - chuckle.
Thanks for showing.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:09 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Beyond lucky find, Jun,

it's a yellow, and that for me is a big plus, especially since the one I got is also yellow - Laughing

These shrubs have really grown on me, no trunks like your's, but the neighbour gave me red flowering ones, and somehow I ended up with the colour change orange and a white, with finally a bright pink.
Show you in 5 years - chuckle.
Thanks for showing.
Khaimraj

...I can wait.

thanks. yellow is I think the best color. look for red color its nice too.
next month this tree will be full of flowers.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:10 am

Thank you John.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:06 am

nice, jun.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:49 am

You know Jun,

I found this -

"I hope they (my "exoras") won't end up as a flower bouquet (in Appearance)" - Jun

as a very good guiding statement.

So I have been testing [a] sprouted roots from garden centre plants and [b] the actual plant as well, exploring the effect of the size of the bloom, and the size of the shrub.
I have an interesting 13 cm tall root, no real taper, lots of movement and it's red of flower. The bloom seems to over power the plant.
At the same time another 13 cm in white, is less of a visual situation.

I doubt I will find anything with a trunk size comparable to yours, so we work with probably a max height of 31 cm, and yellow seems to be the fastest growing of the colours available, though I have a real weakness for the colour change orange.

For what it is, I find the ixora to be a fascinating shrub, but I really think it needs the negative spaces [ the space for the birds to fly through ] to avoid that clipped hedge look, and of course the " flower bouquet " look.
Until.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:19 am

Sam,
thanks!

regards,
jun Smile

Khaimraj,

I think you can find big trunk exoras in some old structures/establishment with old landscaping works like school buildings.
you can easily exchange 10 new shurbs for one old shurb.

how can birds fly through the space?...really i'm serious, its a flowering shrub and should not look like a giant miniaturized tree. but should look like a flowering shurb in miniature form. but shouldn't look like a flower bouquet. I think thats the real challenge.
be natural and be true to its specie, I think that's the key.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 am

Jun,

on our side mini ixoras grow to be 2 1/2 metres+ tall, and that's only from 1984 or so when they were first imported to the island. I expect they will at some time head on to 3m or maybe even 4m.
Trouble is they seldom grow from one point. So the trunks stay at under 6.5 cm.
None the less I will keep looking for the really big one.

This is like the new limit I have for the Chinese single flower type Serissa, 2m, and that is for a restricted growing container. Looking to see if it becomes 3m.
Seems that the true height limits for many of these shrubs is really not known, for the tropics.

This is to explain why I am looking at training these shrubs as trees.
Will keep looking for the tallest mini-ixora, and the record it on digital for you.
Thanks for responding.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 am

Khaimraj,
Thanks, please do post it when you got the photo. actually 2 plus meter Exora chinensis is pretty tall and old already. my big exoras came from less than two meter high shrub. try to look beneath the soil line if you managed to find a 2+ meter shrub I'm pretty sure it got big trunk just few inches below ground.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Jun,

you are amazing, I would never thought of doing that, looking below the soil line.
Thanks again.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:01 pm

...treasures are usually buried under grounds. pirat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:03 am

Guest wrote: IBC,

the other bigger trunk...

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_2132

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_2133

regards,
jun Smile

after two years.....

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_0298

another lucky find probably the biggest trunk ixora chinensis  Dsc_0299

Regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:24 am

Hi jun

fantastic little tree....sweet flowers.
Thanks for sharing.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:35 am

Thanks Yvonne!

This species grows so fast. I have acquired several new materials for development. Post them later.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:53 am

that is going to be a fine flowering bonsai, jun.

best wishes.

sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next