Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade'

5 posters

Go down

Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade' Empty Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade'

Post  AlainK Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:05 am

A rather big one compared to what i usually favour, but the species requires a large size.

The leaves are quite big, and it doesn't like wiring so much; anyway, the bark and the flowers in late winter are so beautiful, i wanted to give it a try.

Feb. 2005 :

Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade' Prunus02_050211a

March 2010 :

Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade' Prunus02_100330

17 June 2010, before :

Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade' Prunus02_100617a

17 June 2010, after :

Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade' Prunus02_100617e

I wish I could make it a decent tree just for the two weeks it is blooming. None of my photos can render how beautiful it is when in flowers...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade' Empty Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade'

Post  Guest Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:19 am

I'm really impressed with the last pic. Your Prunus has a bright future.The very top doesn't work for me, I would hollow out the top and leave the leader to fatten for a season or two.

Back to top Go down

Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade' Empty Re: Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade'

Post  AlainK Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:29 am

will baddeley wrote:I'm really impressed with the last pic. Your Prunus has a bright future.The very top doesn't work for me, I would hollow out the top and leave the leader to fatten for a season or two.

Will Baddeley wise man is: I just don't have the right tools in my garage to do so, but that's exactly what I had planned to do ! Cool

(Well, maybe I could just use concave cutters, and the like, now it's naked... Yep, I might do so.)
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:47 am

Alain. If you don't have access to power tools, concave cutters are fine. Don't hollow too much as water will sit in the deadwood and fungus will set in. Hollow out and cover the wound well. Let the top gow freely and the hole should calous over.

Back to top Go down

Post  moshe emergui Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:41 pm

hi alain
Nice work, seems to me the tree have good future, I believe you will show it in autumn
and in spring when the tree will be full of flowers, he'll be amazing.
moshe emergui
moshe emergui

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Moshe, thanks for the kind words.

As I said, it's a difficult tree, but I'll try my best. I hope it will flower next spring, that's about the only moment when that kind of species is really interesting, and in the winter too, because its growth is hard to control. Maybe with a little more experience, I can make it a decent one.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Prunus subhirtella 'Accolade' Empty Prunus subhirtella

Post  moyogijohn Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:13 pm

Alaink,ito like the tree very much.it has such a powerful looking trunk with good branch placement.i would also carve the top makeing the top branch the apex. does it fruit or have berrys??? i am not good with the types of prunus trees..a good job with the tree..good luck john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:25 am

I've never had any fruit on this one: the flowers fade, and then fall, but no fruit.

BTW, as is the case with many prunus, it is very easy to propagate by root-cuttings taken late in the winter. Just put wound sealant on the cut to avoid it rotting away, and put the rest of the root in a growing medium leaving a little above soil level, and it's very likely you will see new buds coming out in the spring.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:49 am

never mind the tree, you need to sort your beer pouring technique out bonny lad. there's far too much heed on that glass. shocking. simply shocking. affraid
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:18 pm

bobby little wrote:never mind the tree, you need to sort your beer pouring technique out bonny lad. there's far too much heed on that glass. shocking. simply shocking. affraid

This is just a certified one-pint glass I saved from a pub in Bromley, it's just here to give an idea of the size of the tree.

Anyway, that was Heineken in the glass, I take much more precautions when I have "real stuff" like Guinness... cyclops
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:31 pm

bobby little wrote:never mind the tree, you need to sort your beer pouring technique out bonny lad. there's far too much heed on that glass. shocking. simply shocking. affraid

Laughing...........................................
....................................yah still laughing.

lol!

V
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Oh... and Alain.... I love the progress on your tree. There's much to be pleased about within it. The only tweek needed is the one already mentioned, but it's hot. If your a good lil' boy maybe Santa will send you a die grinder for Christmas.... santa

V
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:39 pm

AlainK wrote:

This is just a certified one-pint glass I saved from a pub in Bromley, it's just here to give an idea of the size of the tree.

Anyway, that was Heineken in the glass, I take much more precautions when I have "real stuff" like Guinness... cyclops

fair play then. you're only as good as the material you've got to work with.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down