Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Magnolia

+4
sixhunter
John Quinn
Dave Martin
boon
8 posters

Go down

Star Magnolia Empty Star Magnolia

Post  boon Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:28 pm

the owner got this tree from golden state bonsai collection north auction in 2003. it came from nursery stock. we cut the top off in 2005. and then grow new branches on this tree. it is repotted every year. it is very strong. in a few years we plan to show it.
this was fall work in 2008
November 22, 2008
Star Magnolia Downlo21

after removing leaves
Star Magnolia Downlo22

some area we have a lot of buds. they were thinned out
Star Magnolia Downlo22

after cut back. lower right branch is still too small. it is not cut back.
Star Magnolia Downlo24
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Star Magnolia Empty Re: Star Magnolia

Post  Dave Martin Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Boon,

What is the size of the tree and what caused the brown leaves.
I am working on a Magnolia Stellata that I bought last year but I think it has a long way to go.
I particularly like the trunk of the one you have.
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 am

Dave Martin wrote:Boon,

What is the size of the tree and what caused the brown leaves.
I am working on a Magnolia Stellata that I bought last year but I think it has a long way to go.
I particularly like the trunk of the one you have.

Dave,
it is 10" tall (from the base to the top)
brown leaves are normal in fall the picture was taken in November. they are ready to drop. i pulled the rest off.
thanks,
here is the picture today

Star Magnolia Magnol10
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:31 am

I have had a Magnolia stellata for a number of years with only one flower bud a few years ago...any recommendations for fertilizing or pruning?
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 am

beautiful. Once the branches start to thicken up and cut back again to ramify, I'm sure it will be awesome =D
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 am

John Quinn wrote:I have had a Magnolia stellata for a number of years with only one flower bud a few years ago...any recommendations for fertilizing or pruning?

John,
This tree has several flower buds each year. we intentionally keep 1 or 2 to enjoy. it is still a year or two away from showing. Magnolia bonsai usually do not carry as many flower as the tree in the ground.
We use non organic soil and no dust. Once the leave hardened off start to fertilize. We use fertilizer cakes on top of the soil till Fall(add and change several times). the liquid is used twice a month or more. so fertilize moderate to heavy. The goal for flowering tree like this is not trying to keep small leave. we never defoliate it.
I prune it only once May or June to2-4 leaves. and then let it grow till fall. flower buds will develop at the end of the branches. if the tree is prune after July, it is less likely to bloom.
Enjoy
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:26 am

sixhunter wrote:beautiful, once d branches start to thicken up and cut back agn to ramify, im sure it will b awesome =D

Thank you, sixhunter
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:57 am

Thanks, Boon.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  nip Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 am

I saw one of these at a local nursery with a nice base, but it would need to be chopped. Its also in a massive pot so would require plenty of root reduction. How much punishment can Star Magnolias take? Can they withstand a heavy chop leaving few branches, if any?

nip

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:53 am

John Quinn wrote:Thanks, Boon.

John,
you're welcome
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 am

nip wrote:I saw one of these at a local nursery with a nice base, but it would need to be chopped. Its also in a massive pot so would require plenty of root reduction. How much punishment can Star Magnolias take? Can they withstand a heavy chop leaving few branches, if any?

yes, you can cut off quite a bit. We cut about 60% off the first time and then do more a year later.
So, plan to do it in 2-3 stages over 2-3 years. We bare root this tree when we repot. i think it is one of the easy tree to grow. have fun
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  ybonsai Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Very good Job and great nebari, it like it!

Best regards,
Yannick

ybonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:45 pm

Boon you have inspired me to look for a Magnolia Wink

Kind regards
Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:32 pm

ybonsai wrote:Very good Job and great nebari, it like it!

Best regards,
Yannick

Thank you, Yannick
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  boon Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:35 pm

landerloos wrote:Boon you have inspired me to look for a Magnolia Wink

Kind regards
Peter

Peter,
this is my student's tree. i am looking for one for myself too. it is easy to grow.
boon
boon

Back to top Go down

Post  bezmar915neo Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:44 pm

I bought one of these 2as yrs ago and chopped it immediately and removed burlap sack and clay it was in. Strange roots indeed. It had quite a lot of flower buds on it. I removed them before they could open hoping to get some back budding. I was unhappy this spring with my previous soil mix so I depots into some surface and made some cuts between the large roots so I could ground layer it. It seems very tough though I think I pushed the boundaries. I have been waiting for a second push of new leaves and although late in the season I am getting them now. Will wait til next fall to get check status of ground layer. It is not extremely vigorous but hopefully next spring will see lots of new growth

bezmar915neo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down