Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh Star Magnolia

3 posters

Go down

Fresh Star Magnolia Empty Fresh Star Magnolia

Post  Lnatural Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:47 am

This is the Magnolia I just bought from a garden center. The roots looked very healthy and once I let the foliage fill in and develop I think it might have some real potential.

Lawrence

[img]Fresh Star Magnolia Photo-11[/img]
[img]Fresh Star Magnolia Photo-12[/img]
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Fresh Star Magnolia Empty Re: Fresh Star Magnolia

Post  Russell Coker Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:00 am

That's a really nice start Lawrence. They make an interesting bonsai. There was another thread started back in February on the questions forum you may find interesting.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Lnatural Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:22 pm

Thanks Russell,

I remember reading that post when I was considering buying this tree. It was in a very large pot when I bought it so I had to do some major root pruning. It still has very many healthy looking roots in the root ball. I tried to be as gentle as I could with the pruning process so I'm hoping for the best. It's a new species to me so I don't know much about it's growth habits as far as back budding, which I very much hope will happen soon.

Lawrence
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:11 am

I saw a magnolia at lowes the other day, it caught my eye due to the awsome rootage, the trunk was so-so but I skipped it because I thought "how on earth do i reduce the leaves, and the flowers? Forget about it.." How well do leaves on a magnolia reduce? I doubt the flowers would...right?? or do I have to speed back to Lowes in the morning!

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:25 am

They back bud really well especially on those young, long branches you've left. I would have shortened them proportionally too. The strongest flush of growth you're going to get is NOW. Fertilize heavily to make the most of it. Don't be concerned about leaf size at this stage of the game. Grow out and cut back. Grow out and cut back. It won't be long before it's time to wire (you could start positioning branches now).

I can't see your pot, but I'd go shallow and wider. Smooth out those cut and seal them! It's really a nice looking tree. Good taper and branches in the right places. Keep an eye on heavy branches in the top third of the tree.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  kaspr00 Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:45 am

Looks like you picked up a good one! Thanks for the post

-Clayton
kaspr00
kaspr00

Back to top Go down

Post  Lnatural Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks everyone, I would seal the cuts but I don't have any sealer. I'm not sure where to find it either. I heard there is a mixture that you can make your own. Is it okay to fertilize right after a drastic root cutting? I would have had a bonsai pot , but I used the only good sized one I had on an azalea I just found, and I can't afford another pot right now.
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:14 am

I use Tight-bond III water proof glue as my sealer and I love it! It will eventually wear off as the tree heals but being that its a water proof glue it helps hold in sap after the initial cut if you've got a real bleeder like an azalea. Also you can still drench your plant with a hose and the glue remains..i've had really good results with it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:42 am

man on the mountain wrote:I use Tight-bond III water proof glue as my sealer and I love it! It will eventually wear off as the tree heals but being that its a water proof glue it helps hold in sap after the initial cut if you've got a real bleeder like an azalea. Also you can still drench your plant with a hose and the glue remains..i've had really good results with it.

That's good advice. Japanese cut paste and booger-in-a-tube are better, but the tight-bond is really good in a pinch. I'm sure some people prefer it.

My pot comment was more about a growing pot, not a bonsai pot. Don't worry with that now. If it's pushing new growth, fertilize. Just go light if you're worried.

M.O.T.M., was the one you saw at Lowe's M. stellata? I've seen one they sell that they call "rubra" that is really M. liliflora. Nice tree. As for reducing the leaves - yes, they do reduce, for a magnolia. Leaves and flowers aren't at the greatest scale, but you have to overlook that aspect. Obviously, they are best for winter and early spring viewing, therefore good branch placement and structure is important. If you can't it's probably better for you to pass on it. The cool thing is seeing those wonderful flowers sitting on the ends of the branches in the spring.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:57 am

Russell

I'm gonna be back up there within the next few days and I'll take note of what that Magnolia was that I noticed. I have to be careful how many trees I get into I'm stretched a bit thin as it is, 23+ trees ..But it did look tempting.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lnatural Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:30 pm

I see what you mean about the pot, the problem is is that because I live in Brooklyn, I have limited apartment / bonsai space. I built shelves that extend out my windows that always seem to fill up with new trees too quickly. I'll pick up some of that tight bond today thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate the advice everyone

Thanks, Lawrence
Lnatural
Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:37 pm

lawrence-
have you been to Bonsai of Brooklyn?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content