Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transplanting Magnolia grandiflora

Go down

Transplanting Magnolia grandiflora  Empty Transplanting Magnolia grandiflora

Post  Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:14 am

Not a bonsai but this tree has a bit of sentiment as the first seed collected when I moved to this area 7yrs ago, it has been in my garden for the last 4.5yrs and at present stands about 2' tall with a trunk of about 1".

I am hoping someone on here might be able to help with advice for moving it to a better spot in the garden, I had been led to believe the parent tree was a dwarf form but on discussion with the landscaper who originally planted the garden I am informed it is not affraid

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Back to top Go down

Transplanting Magnolia grandiflora  Empty Re: Transplanting Magnolia grandiflora

Post  Stan Kengai Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 am

Southern Magnolias, when young, tend to have a very deep taproot. If you're planting into the landscape, I have found it's best to transplant them in late fall, and it will require a moderate amount of water for the next growing season. After that, they're pretty drought tolerant. They grow well in humus-rich, sandy soil. They can be grown anywhere from full sun to deep shade, but they seem to grown best in light shade when young.

A full size magnolia is rather large. Very few things will grow underneath them because of the deep shade they cast and their prolific surface roots. The most magnificent specimen's I've seen are not limbed-up (the lower limbs are kept).

Stan Kengai

Back to top Go down

Transplanting Magnolia grandiflora  Empty Re: Transplanting Magnolia grandiflora

Post  Guest Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:55 am

Stan, thanks for the speedy reply, when I realised it wasnt a dwarf & how big it would get I suddenly realised under the power lines wasnt a good spot. The tap root was removed in its first years in a pot so fingers crossed it has some nice feeder roots now. I have a spot picked out where it can grow full size & as its just turned autumn will get into preparing the bed this week so it can be ready, I am on a heavy clay soil so will build it up with lots of compost & sand to hopefully give it a good start, it will have seating under so the deep shade & surface roots wont be a issue Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down