Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Azalea transplanting

3 posters

Go down

Azalea transplanting Empty Azalea transplanting

Post  Hombre Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:37 am

Good morning, I would like your help on the transplanting of my azalea.
In this matter I'm a bit confused, since I've read that in Japan make transplanting on the winter but in Europe on the summer Europe soon as fall flowers.
Also if someone knows how can I get rid of rockwool without causing damage to the roots, see my azalea instead of soil in the pot of rock wool.

Thanks
Best regards.
Hombre
Hombre

Back to top Go down

Azalea transplanting Empty Re: Azalea transplanting

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:09 am

After flowering was recommended but this is a dangerous time to repot. The trees are already weakened with the expenditure of energy. Sping is much better, but you must remove all flower buds for that year as early as possible, preferably before repotting.

You can't remove rockwool without damaging roots. I'd recommend that you remove a little around the edges at the next repot and then each spring remove a thin pie slice shape, avoiding the major roots. Good luck.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hombre Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:21 am

Kev Bailey wrote:After flowering was recommended but this is a dangerous time to repot. The trees are already weakened with the expenditure of energy. Sping is much better, but you must remove all flower buds for that year as early as possible, preferably before repotting.

You can't remove rockwool without damaging roots. I'd recommend that you remove a little around the edges at the next repot and then each spring remove a thin pie slice shape, avoiding the major roots. Good luck.

Thanks Kev , probably i be waiting next spring.
Hombre
Hombre

Back to top Go down

Azalea transplanting Empty Boncoco perhaps...?

Post  my nellie Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi Hombre and everyone! Very Happy
I am confronted with the same problem and with Hombre's consent I take advantage of this existing topic....

I know rock-wool (stone-wool) is mainly used in hydroponics, so may I extend the question a little?
Could this compact potting medium be the kind that is called "Boncoco" which is especially developed for bonsai with a high proportion of shredded coconut fibres?
Anyway, either stone-wool or boncoco, I understand the difficulties of repotting, but I wonder what if we put the rootball into a pot of water so that this compact substrate could absorb water and become soft (hopefully)...?
Are there any good chances of success in removing more substrate easily this way?
Or should we take no chances?

Thanks in advance!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down