Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn.

5 posters

Go down

How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn. Empty How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn.

Post  Smithy Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:03 pm

I collected this hawthorn today. It is the first one i have dug up . There were a few feeder roots and one big continuous root coming off the trunk so no real nebari. Not as many roots as i would like.

Do i need to cut a lot more of the branches to help it survive? I cut a long straight branch off already.

I'm not sure whether to shorten the bottom right branch .

Any input would be appreciated.

How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn. 03210
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn. Empty How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn.

Post  Guest Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Hello Smithy, its a pity you have'nt a pic of the roots as well. When I've lifted them in the past, more often than not there is'nt a lot of root. A bit like a Rose. It will probably be fine but if your worried, try reducing the cascade branch by half. Seal the cuts to stop any bleeding.

Back to top Go down

How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn. Empty Re: How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn.

Post  Smithy Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:30 pm

Yes i should have taken a shot of the roots. all you can do now i suppose is be patient and hope to see it wake up.

It was like a rose root but there were a few small roots so i do have hope.
There were a few more there but after digging up this one i checked their roots and they all seem to snake off into the ground, so i decided to leave them there as they weren't that spectacular to bother with.

I think i will shorten the cascade.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn. Empty Re: How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn.

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:09 am

I always try and collect as much root as I can, regardless of its future use.Hawthorn do root quite easily and once established root pruning takes place, they readily produce root on old wood. Was this one sheep grazed, Im guessing by the bottom of the cascade branch Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Hatfield Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:10 am

Wow Will, I was looking at that clump myself. Trying to figure out what it was. I'd have to hand over a 100 cool points if you are right. cheers

I don't work with these trees myself but, anytime I collect, I usually chop as much as I can spare when there are little roots.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Yes from a sheep field. I asked the farmer if i could have it ,he had n't even noticed it.

I cut a bit more off today .
[url=https://servimg.com/view/14446663/68]How much more to cut off this collected hawthorn. 005_210[/url
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:13 pm

That stands a much better chance of survival smithy Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:30 am

If it was mine I probably would have eliminated the 'cascade branch' entirely by now. It's point of origin is just awkward to me, and it's base is too thick.

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:00 am

I'm trying not to take too much off as i'm guilty of cutting off too much in the past (and present) that i really shouldn't and then regretting it.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:54 pm

This tree has a good start. Great decision in cutting off the cascading branch. You may even decide to take of the top at some point; having choices and leaving your options open at this point in development is a good plan.
Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks Todd Smile
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:28 pm

Mr smithy, you could warm up the pot a little when the tree awakes.
Place a similar pot underneath with a licht bulb into it 40 / 60 watts in warmth roots it wil thrive, dont forget some holes in the seccond
pot for warmth release.
Wouldn't want any fire's would we, just try.
And be careful watering though, have to secure the pot and lamp underneath! Twisted Evil

I wouldn't cut more, since it has a nice future now!
suc6!

grtzz m
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down