Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boulevard cypress - need some advice

+2
Vance Wood
VladconBonsai
6 posters

Go down

Boulevard cypress - need some advice Empty Boulevard cypress - need some advice

Post  VladconBonsai Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Here is my new young boulevard cypress and I don't have so much experience with evergreen trees and need some advices. I want to repot it and wire so I'm asking you when is the best time to do that (autumn or spring)? If you look trunk closer you can see "bubbles" from cut off branches, what can I do with that? Also if you have any idea let me know.
Boulevard cypress - need some advice 100_9310
Boulevard cypress - need some advice 100_9311

VladconBonsai

Back to top Go down

Boulevard cypress - need some advice Empty Re: Boulevard cypress - need some advice

Post  Vance Wood Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:18 pm

False Cypress species are a very difficult family of trees to deal with as far as making them into bonsai.  They do not back bud well if at all so if you remove something you will not get it back.  They tend to expand outward along the ends of branches so if you do not keep the branches cut back you will wind up with a bunch of pom poms. This tree is very young not more than five years old and is in need of a fatter trunk. The problem here is the only way to get a fatter trunk is to let the branches grow outward and if you do that if you are not very careful and very smart about the way you do things you will wind up with branches with growth only on the ends.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Boulevard cypress - need some advice Empty Re: Boulevard cypress - need some advice

Post  VladconBonsai Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks, I appreciate your advices. Is the March next year good time to repot this tree?

VladconBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Repotting in March should be OK. Make sure you protect it from freezing weather after the repot.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:38 am

I totally agree with Vance. Some time ago I saw picture of nice looking Ch."Boulevard" bonsai. I said myself I'll start one for myself too. I couldn't maintain shape tree the way I want [almost NO back-budding] and besides that tree was really struggle at pot. Now is recovering well in open ground and lost intention to ever try for bonsai again. Simple gave up. The worst for myself is unhealthy sick tree/bonsai. That's just my 2cents
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Boulevard cypress - need some advice Empty Boulevard cypress need some advice

Post  john blanchard Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:04 pm

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t15838-boulevard-project

Check this out, it'll give you some idea of what can be done.
john blanchard
john blanchard

Back to top Go down

Post  immAGinoso Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:28 am

Here's mine..

Got it beginning of this summer from our club sale. Its been 7 years in training.
It had more branches, our club president helped me style it by taking off branches and making it a little more refined literati.

Boulevard cypress - need some advice Img_1213
Boulevard cypress - need some advice Img_1511

immAGinoso

Back to top Go down

Post  immAGinoso Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:54 am

Vance, thanks for sharing the false cypress bonsai tip, no backbudding and branches just getting longer with pompoms on its ends.

That said, I guess a general practical style for false cypresses then would be twisty or curvy cascade or semi cascade that has lots of leaf back mass or branch structure for visual depth.

I am not sure if you can tilt yours little by little every year growing it, to develop and harden a cascade nebari.  Then wire the main trunk now to add more shape that goes with the foliage pads structure you are planning.

Or a super windswept.. getting longer and longer each year all going in one direction!

immAGinoso

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Leppo Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:24 am

I have one I'm rather proud of, but I have to prune it back twice a year, at least, to maintain it.

Dave Leppo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down