Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai?

3 posters

Go down

Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai? Empty Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai?

Post  leatherback Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi All,

Yesterday I saw the cedrus at 70% reduced in one of my local garden centres. Took it home, did some work to it and it is now on track to hopefully become a bonsai one day.

One thing I nodiced when I went looking for the nebari: Th pot is full of roots, completely grown solid. I understand that cedrus really dislikes rootwork. Does anyone have experience with the species? Two main questions come to mind:

- Does this species throw buds on old wood?
- How do I reduce the rootbaal of a solid grown potted rootbaal in clay-ish stoney soil?

Thx,

Oh, and of course.. Any suggestions for the future?
Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai? 20141010
As purchased
Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai? 20141011
beheaded
Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai? 20141012
Yinned it, first rough outline
Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai? 20141013
Waiting to be stronger again, getting ready for spring repot
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai? Empty Re: Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai?

Post  marie1uk Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:31 pm

" 1.Does this species throw buds on old wood?
- 2. How do I reduce the rootbaal of a solid grown potted rootbaal in clay-ish stoney soil?"

1. No - preserve wanted, interior buds at all costs. It won't backbud - even for a lottery win Very Happy

2. Sawing off the bottom 1/3 of the rootball is a good start to get it into a smaller depth container. Add in better soil around the edges and let it recover. If moisture cannot penetrate the rootball then create drainage holes using rebar or something similar and backfill with good substrate - 4-6 holes should do it. If healthy then pie wedge (IN THIRDS) the remainder over successive seasons, replacing the rubbish soil it's in with your preferred mix. It may drop needles so be prepared to skip a season. Watch the tree - if it fails to push vigourous growth then skip the next round of rootwork. Slow process but better than a dead tree.....

FWIW Deodora is quite hard to make into nice pads due to the drooping foliage - Atlantica / Brevifolia has more bonsai friendly foliage.

marie1uk

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:03 am

I really like it a lot. Cedrus is a favorite of mine. http://evergreengardenworks.com/cedars.htm

This image came to my head...
Cedrus Deodara to-be bonsai? 20141013_zps66160bd0
Have a place to put it in the ground, and use the low branches for some girth growing for the time?
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down