Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please

+3
Chris Cochrane
JimLewis
DangerousBry
7 posters

Go down

Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please Empty Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please

Post  DangerousBry Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi All.......

This is my first post up to the Forum. I've been having a good scout through over the last week or so. I've found most of the post very informative.

I wanted to share a couple of Images with you all and ask for some advice, and pointers on the posible first styling of my Cedrus Libani. Hopefully you might be able to advise me on choice of branches and possible tips for future developement.
THANKS
Bryan

Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please Dscf0511

Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please Dscf0512
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please Empty Re: Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:36 pm

From hearsay only, these are a tough tree to bonsai successfully.

On this one. Where you have branches exactly opposite to one another, choose ONE of them. Otherwise, you will begin to see an ugly bulge on the trunk at that point. If you have 3 branches at one point, again, choose ONE.

I think this tree is a bit tall. But I'll have to leave it to people who may have worked with one to give advice on how and when to chop.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please Empty Re: Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please

Post  Chris Cochrane Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Iris Cohen has worked with this as one of her bonsai with spiritual significance. She usually shares a lot about the horticulture of plants she has trained as bonsai.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Mawardi Nur Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:43 am

Hi there,
Your cedrus would be better to be designed for Literati style.
Thanks.
Mawardi Nur
Mawardi Nur

Back to top Go down

Post  bisjoe Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:08 am

Don't remove too much foliage at once, or it will die off. You need to maintain enough needles to keep the nutrients flowing up. It's a difficult balance on these, though they are not as bad as the deodara. Wiring some movement into those straight horizontal branches will help a lot.
bisjoe
bisjoe

Back to top Go down

Post  dave grieve Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:25 am

This is a pretty rough virt, but you can sorta see how shortening the tree and alternating the branches would improve the outline.

Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please Cedarv10

Like Jim, though, I have no experience with this species.
Hope this helps - Dave
dave grieve
dave grieve

Back to top Go down

Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please Empty Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please

Post  DangerousBry Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Cheers folks for your ideas and the virtual pic.

I'm guessing it could be a trick one but. It's a start and I've possibly a few years to develop it. I'll have to do a bit more research on the www to find out some more. Possibly find some pic's.

I might just have to be brave and lop a few choice branches off and see how it goes. It's taken well to feeding and a nice large training tub. There are buds all over. Time will tell....

Bry
DangerousBry
DangerousBry

Back to top Go down

Cedrus Libani - First Style - Help Please Empty update

Post  nabil Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:34 am

do you have updates on your bonsai?

nabil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down