Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Large leaves on dwarf maple "Little Princess"

2 posters

Go down

Large leaves on dwarf maple "Little Princess" Empty Large leaves on dwarf maple "Little Princess"

Post  NickJ Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these as I'm new to this variety. Mine has recently started dropping all the small leaves that emerged in Spring and is growing a second flush of much larger leaves, with particularly large ones at the branch tips (easily 10-15 times the size of the initial small leaves), they look like the size I'd expect on my non-dwarf maples.
I'm not sure if this is a normal growth flush, if I'm feeding too much, not getting enough sun, etc, etc.

Any help kindly appreciated, thanks!

NickJ

Back to top Go down

Large leaves on dwarf maple "Little Princess" Empty Large leaves on dwarf maple

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:19 am

Selected varieties of plants often revert to type. All you can do is prune out the parts with large leaves & hope you can retain the desired form.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Large leaves on dwarf maple "Little Princess" Empty Re: Large leaves on dwarf maple "Little Princess"

Post  NickJ Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:04 am

I'm not too worried about them right now as it's still a pre bonsai, I just thought it odd after having such tiny leaves in spring.
90% of the new leaves are large though so there wouldn't be a lot left if I pruned them lol.

NickJ

Back to top Go down

Large leaves on dwarf maple "Little Princess" Empty Large leaves on Dwarf maple

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:47 pm

I trust you have it in almost full sun. Many people give maples too much shade.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Large leaves on dwarf maple "Little Princess" Empty Re: Large leaves on dwarf maple "Little Princess"

Post  NickJ Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:03 pm

It's on an East/South-East facing balcony so gets morning sun until about 2pm this time of year.

NickJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down