Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting a bonsai from a Japanese Maple or Dwarf Lilac - both currently in large pots.

2 posters

Go down

Starting a bonsai from a Japanese Maple or Dwarf Lilac - both currently in large pots. Empty Starting a bonsai from a Japanese Maple or Dwarf Lilac - both currently in large pots.

Post  Old Geezer Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:12 pm

As a beginner in the field of starting new bonsai or possibly converting an existing potted shrub/tree into a bonsai I am looking for advice so I can try this after this winter.

I currently have a Japanese Maple in a pot that is fully hardy for this region (SE Kent, England), it has been a bit neglected and has never been pruned or repotted in the last 5 years at least. I intend to do some pruning but am not sure when the best time is for this. Also can I use any pruning clippings to start bonsai? Is it possible to do some air layering to use some of the more interesting branches?

I also have a Dwarf Lilac that has been in the same large pot for at least 10 years without repotting and I am intending on doing some root pruning early next year and pruning. I have the same questions for this plant. Can I use prunning clipings and/or air layering to start some bonsai?

As a final request is it possible to turn the above plants into bonsai or should I keep them as potted shrubs?

ALL advice welcomed, please help an old dog to learn some new tricks Smile

Old Geezer

Back to top Go down

Starting a bonsai from a Japanese Maple or Dwarf Lilac - both currently in large pots. Empty Starting a Bonsai

Post  bonsaisr Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:13 pm

You can make bonsai out of either of those. First step is to show us pictures taken from different sides. Yes you can take cuttings or air layers next spring. Read up on all these processes. Comb the library. Join the nearest bonsai club.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Starting a bonsai from a Japanese Maple or Dwarf Lilac - both currently in large pots. Empty Re: Starting a bonsai from a Japanese Maple or Dwarf Lilac - both currently in large pots.

Post  Old Geezer Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks Iris, I have done a little reading on basic care and techniques and will do more especially as I can now use this forum to get good references etc. my next priority is to find a club in Kent if there is one especially in the SE corner.
I will take some photos as suggested and post them later. At the moment the Japonese Maple still has some leaf so I will get some photos to show these. Later I will get winter views. The Lilac has already lost all leaf with our recent heavy winds but I need to remove some sprouting bulbs around it to show it correctly. Photos will follow but not sure when at the moment.

Old Geezer

Back to top Go down

Starting a bonsai from a Japanese Maple or Dwarf Lilac - both currently in large pots. Empty Re: Starting a bonsai from a Japanese Maple or Dwarf Lilac - both currently in large pots.

Post  Old Geezer Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:19 pm

Starting a bonsai from a Japanese Maple or Dwarf Lilac - both currently in large pots. J_mapl10

Here is my Japanese Maple as it is today 16th Nov 13

(I hope I have posted the picture, first try Smile )

Old Geezer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down