Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pete's Larch group

4 posters

Go down

Pete's Larch group Empty Pete's Larch group

Post  chris Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:33 pm

This Larch group is remarkable in many ways, non more so than for the reason and time of year that it was put together.
June 2012 at our (Dragon Bonsai), club show we did a demo on how to put a group together, with some of the wild collected larch seedlings that we always seem to have plenty of.
So in full leaf these were all but bare rooted and put together on a hot weekend to show the the steps of how to arrange the trees when thinking about the positioning of the trunks etc and the overall practicalities of the operation.
We took all the precautions we could for the health of the trees, spraying the roots and foliage regularly during the operation and keeping them out of direct sun etc.
After we had finished Pete wanted to take the group on and has done a fine job to present it 18 month later for potting with not one tree having suffered!!

Pete's Larch group Dscf6210

The intended slab pot was to small so a more traditional pot was selected
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Pete's Larch group Empty Re: Pete's Larch group

Post  chris Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Pete's Larch group Dscf6211

Pete meshed and wired the pot in readyness for the trees, the group was then taken out of its training tray and slightly root raked

Pete's Larch group Dscf6212

Pete's Larch group Dscf6213
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:44 pm

The group was now positioned in the pot and wired in firmly

Pete's Larch group Dscf6214

So here we have the repoted image now awaiting wiring

Pete's Larch group Dscf6215
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:08 pm

There were a few areas to be addressed, on the back of the right hand side there is a lot of confusion

Pete's Larch group Dscf6216

The top of the main front tree needs the top taking out and a branch bringing up as a new leader to give better taper

Pete's Larch group Dscf6217

Pete worked most of the day wiring and cutting, there is still a lot of wiring to do but as Pete said he has lots of tome over Christmas to finish it off!!!!

Pete's Larch group Dscf6218

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Pete's Larch group Empty pete's larch group

Post  paul.spearman Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi Chris Peter got a good group forming but the pot and the moss is wrong why don't he ask Dan to make him
a slab to make it stand out
reg Paul

paul.spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:13 am

paul.spearman wrote:Hi Chris Peter got a good group forming but the pot and the moss is wrong why don't he ask Dan to make him
a slab to make it stand out
reg Paul

The moss will grow and develop, but I do agree with the group needing a slab. It is amazing how things have changed over the last twenty years or so. Pots like the one shown in this thread were common for group plantings but now the common "pot" is not a pot at all but a slab, and I agree with this idea and prefer it over the pot.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:28 pm

I agree that slabs are the current trends, but keeping something basic is not all bad either. It's in a pot now, so it can be enjoyed this way while a slab is located. I took my acer forest off a slab last year and put back into a pot. To be honest I enjoy it either way.
I appreciate pete posting and being open to our varied views....Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:17 pm

This is so funny because Peter has a two part slab that he ordered of Dan Butler which was to small when we came to marry the trees to it, I should have taken a pic of it, so the pot was an after thought and lucky that I had it so we could at least pot it. The slab wont go to waste we will plant it eventually.

Regards Chris

Last edited by chris on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:30 pm

I can appreciate the humor in that. Quess there was a reason for what happened....what I refer to as a "murphy's law". Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down