Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larch Group

+6
Bugeye
Kev Bailey
wabashene
Harleyrider
Bob Brunt
F. Waheedy
10 posters

Go down

Larch Group Empty Larch Group

Post  F. Waheedy Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:07 am

Hi Friends,

I would like to show you my Larch group which I bought last summer in Nottingham. The group was planted on a concrete slab when I bought it and had not been re potted for the last 9 years.
The trees are all mature but I didnt like the placement of the trees.

It took me a few months to find a tray big enough to accomodate all 17 trees. I finally found one in November. The tray is 4 ft x 3 ft x 4 Inches deep and it takes to people to move it.

Yesterday we (Myself & Harry Harrington) decided to re pot the group. Here are a few pictures. I hope you like the placement of the trees and overall look of the group.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Faisal

The group as bought in April '09

Larch Group 110

SIDE VIEW

Larch Group 210

TRAY 4ft x 3 ft x 4 inches deep

Larch Group 310

TREES TAKEN APART & PLANTED IN TRAINING POTS A WEEK AGO.

Larch Group 510

Larch Group 610

Larch Group 710

Larch Group 810
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Larch Group Empty Re : Larch Group

Post  Bob Brunt Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Faisal.

To be quite honest..I would have been proud to own this forest group before you re potted..But I must admit it looks great now..Please can you update this post in the spring as the new growth begins. Another great job.
Bob Brunt
Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

Larch Group Empty Re: Larch Group

Post  Harleyrider Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:51 pm

A definate improvement, Faisal. Now all you need is half a ton of moss and the job's a good 'un!

BTW, do you intend putting a 'pathway' between the two groups of trees? I think you should.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi Faisal,

I think that this looks to have created a very good illusion of depth and if I'm not mistaken takes what is often called a "far view" perspective. i.e. smaller trees at the front and sides rising up to larger trees further back- which is how a forest grows as it happens.

I find larch a bit tricky as regards controlling growth. I get great big long shoots and needles and on my shohin tree and it looks **** after May.

This year I'm going to try and method I think Vance Wood described wherein you nip the shoot back right after you get that 1st bit of extension from the 1st mature whorl. (at least I think that was it????)

This keeps growth tight and compact iirc.

Say Hi to HarryH for me.

I'm off Facebook atm so have kind of lost touch.

rgds

TimR
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks Bob. I'm Glad you like the group. I will definitely update the post once the new growth begins. By that time I will have made some improvements too.

Hey Steve, I know I need loads of moss and that too, different colour and texture for near and far view. I also plan to use a stone and making a pathway. All that will take some time. Maybe around spring time. I don't want to disturb the trees at the moment.

Cheers,

Faisal
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi Tim, Thanks for your nice and encouraging comment.

You're actually right about the depth. Thats what we were trying to achieve and I think, up to some extent, we did manage to achieve the "far View" perspective.

With my larches, I make sure I pinch them every Saturday during the growing season. It's hard work to keep them in shape.

I will let Harry know you liked the group and also pass your "Hi" to him.

Regds,

Faisal
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Larch Group Empty Re : Larch Group

Post  Guest Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:06 pm

A much more refined image Faisal, good work Very Happy. Great perspective. Its almost a shame to have those two big boys in there though. I think they punch through the canopy too much. What future plans do you have?

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Hi Faisal, I think you've done a great job, but have to agree with Will. Is it just the photo or are my eyes deceiving me. The two taller trees look like European Larch (golden twigs) and the rest Japanese Larch (redder twigs). Either way I think the two largest are just a tad too tall.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Also the path area is a little too "Man made" looking. It is too straight on both sides.
But still a nice group.

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:29 pm

will baddeley wrote:A much more refined image Faisal, good work Very Happy. Great perspective. Its almost a shame to have those two big boys in there though. I think they punch through the canopy too much. What future plans do you have?

Hi Will, Thank you for your valuable comment. I know the two big trees are a bit too tall but We do need to do some pruning and wiring. Just that it's a bit too early. I will leave it for a few months and then work on it again.

I will update the post for your feedback.

Regds,

Faisal
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks Kev, I'm glad you like it. Like I said, I still need to work on it and thin it out. I'm not really sure about the species. To me they all look Japanese Larch and were part of the same group. Will know in a few months.

Cheers
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:33 pm

Bugeye wrote:Also the path area is a little too "Man made" looking. It is too straight on both sides.
But still a nice group.

Thanks Bugeye, I do need to improve on the path area. You're right. It's a bit too straight. I also plan to use cpl of stones and moss cover. and some dead larch needles.

Lets see how it goes.

Regds,

Faisal
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:34 pm

Really nice. what a pot.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Faisal.

Nicely work , definitely a positive future.Congratulation. ThumbsUp
I think that in about two years you will find a new flat plate at transplanting. Am I right? Very Happy Wink

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Hi Pavel, Grrreat to get a comment from an artist like you. I LOVE your work. You're a TRUE artist.

Thank you for your positive comment. I'm already working on a slab with a local potter. But I hope to keep it in this tray for a few years.

Regards,

Faisal
F. Waheedy
F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:51 pm

hello fasial,

As pictures aren't taken in equal perspective nor season it's hard to set judgement on the difference!
At first glance and for many that is the one that counts,....good job!

On second, trees on the right and left seem static to me.
Straight up,no harsh environment here.
Forests look like a system to me birth die back death new live.....
As i know that is hard to catch, still it is a straight forward system,....i mean yours

The big trees on the left are massive,, new foliage can mask that still they retain massive.
This i have learned and be happy to share.
Where is the mother of all, what does the wind and where does it take,.....this forrest

Path on the right seems to be hand made and,...ehh ....straight.

I know first styling from the draft,....did a good thing.
Hope i gave positive answers.

Lork's are forgiving trees,......have a good chess game..........!

And who am i to judge u or harry.

Humble guidance from a stranger, machiel.
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Post  littleart-fx Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:57 pm

appendix.

to give these trees freedom in growth, read fertilizer ..........uncontrollable. up to 40 cm's a year
Pinch new growth in the 3d or 4th week of new growth (spring)

Read this as rather 4th or 5th if it is first experienced,...l What a Face k an learn.

grtzz
littleart-fx
littleart-fx

Back to top Go down

Larch Group Empty Any update on the forest?

Post  Guest Fri May 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Salam Faisal,

Do you have updates on your Larch forest? I have been looking very carefully at your forest composition, and maybe it would look more natural without the two largest trees. Or maybe you could think of placing them in the foreground to give the rest of the trees a more distant image (see the link below). It also helps to plant the larger trees higher than the rest. Other than that I love the tree placement and the overall forest imagery.

http://www.bonsai-wbff.org/article3ht.shtml

KH,
Aman.

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Fri May 28, 2010 6:40 pm

I like how the tree of the far left inclines under the canopy, as if it's reaching for light. That was a nice touch.

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down